Should i buy it?

MaelstromIslander

MaelstromIslander

Don't know where this topic belongs so i just put it into support because that sounds about right.

Okay, so i have been talking for a while that i'm going to buy LEGO Island. I really want it, and i'm willing to spend my money on it. But there was one thing worrying me that my parents told me;

Will i be able to even run it?

I have a Windows 8 Computer (not 8.1) so i have no idea if i can run it and, if i bought this, will RRU be able to help and guide me to get it working? Yes, alternatively, i have two XP computers. One that has broken hardware and graphics issues, and another which has LEGO Racers on it. I have no idea if it will work on XP either, though.

I need to know whether or not its a good idea to buy LEGO Island with two slightly clogged up XP computers and one Windows 8 computer.

I've seen some videos based on the results of using LEGO Island on a windows 8 computer, maybe i'll get some results there.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, LEGO Island will run on Windows 8. You'll have the obvious issues trying to getting it running (even on Win XP you'll most likely have this), but it will run. We have a general how-to guide and enough experience to get it working. Just don't try to use Fraps at all on Win8 (if you have it), go for OBS if you want to record it.

EDIT And yes, Racers will run on Windows 8 as well.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

With some slight changes made to the programs in the configurations executable to support your graphics card, as well as copying over some files from the disc, you should be fine.

I've been able to play LEGO Island with computers running OS's as old as Windows 98, and as new as Windows 7. Even if it won't work on Windows 8 (which it should, by all means, if you know what you are doing), you should be safe having XP.

Fluffy Cupcake

Well there is le717, your Windows 8 expert. I'm going to say that Island works on everything prior too, as I've play it on all Win 98, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7.

-ignore, accidental double post due to problem with refreshing-

I see I'm not the only one.

I love how you two jumped to this topics and both posts appear not a minute after mine. :P

Xiron, you have no double post. :P

Fluffy Cupcake

I love how you two jumped to this topics and both posts appear not a minute after mine. :P

Xiron, you have no double post. :P

I was refering to refreshing problem. I did press the post button twice though, because there didn't seem to be a response, but I didn't wait long enough so I got a warning saying I posted too fast from my last post.

Screw the :P, they are almost used too frequently to tell jokes now.

MaelstromIslander

Just don't try to use Fraps at all on Win8 (if you have it), go for OBS if you want to record it.

Yeah, one of those "Videos" that i was thinking could help me was your "Windows 8 With Fraps in Windowed Mode". IIRC Mr. 831 recommended OBS to you.

However that obviously WOULDN'T help me because theres a difference between Windows 8 and LI, and Windows 8, LI, Fraps, and Windowed Mode.

However, one of my biggest questions is, even without Fraps and Windowed Mode, is the info-centre still invisible?

CONFIG.EXE and ISLE.EXE should be set to run in 16-bit and as an administrator, or your saves and registry stuff will be sent to the VirtaulStores, (Yep.. the registry has it's own VirtaulStore..) which is annoying if you like to poke around with those.
CONFIG.EXE should be run in Win95 mode, but ISLE.EXE works fine (maybe even better) without compatibility mode.

It is also recommended to copy the Scripts folder from the CD so you don't have to wait on loading times or need to put the see-dee in your computer.

I have a Windows 8 Computer (not 8.1)

Does your Windows Store app not work for some reason?

And yes, Racers will run on Windows 8 as well.

Yep, you just gotta get used to the crappy framerate and your chassis not being attached to the wheels. xD(Or am I the only one that has that problem?)

Fluffy Cupcake

Yep, you just gotta get used to the crappy framerate (Or am I the only one that has that problem?)

Not likely, as that problem still exists in Windows 10. 20 FPS.

It is also recommended to copy the Scripts folder from the CD so you don't have to wait on loading times or need to put the see-dee in your computer.

I always have >this linked in my sig for times like this, you know. :P

IIRC Mr. 831 recommended OBS to you.

He did, but I had already been messing with it before I uploaded that video.

However, one of my biggest questions is, even without Fraps and Windowed Mode, is the info-centre still invisible

Let me repeat myself, but in a different way: LEGO Island works on Windows 8. Those videos of mine are what's called "glitch videos". Those visual glitches with blackness, missing textures, light blue all over, those only happen when recording it with Fraps (except for the windowed mode light blue, that happens regardless). There are no major issues with LI + Win8 that are not present on other Windows versions.

Does that answer your question?

MaelstromIslander

Does your Windows Store app not work for some reason?

No, i don't have 8.1 because i hate it. LDD is broken on 8.1 according to some people so i stayed where i was.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, it does. Thanks.

PlatonicWaffles

LEGO Island runs absolutely no problem on Windows 8.1 on Ramp Emulation (which is easily toggled by a drop down option) in the Configure option. I've played it recently like this and have had no problem doing so.

Fluffy Cupcake

I just wanted to say that in its current state, I've had no luck getting this game to run on Windows 10, and CONFIG.EXE is completely broke too. Config can only be ran once, and the only way to run it again is to delete the compatability key from the registery, yes, that's right, the compatability key. No matter what I try, I get the ""LEGO® Island" failed to start. Please quit all other applications and try again."" error message when starting LI. This may or may not be the first Windows OS that can't run Island 1! :o

For what purpose are you buying it, though? Looking at your owned LEGO games list, you don't have LR2, and you'd probably get a lot more enjoyment (well, primarily looking at modding here) out of it then Island.

For what purpose are you buying it, though? Looking at your owned LEGO games list, you don't have LR2, and you'd probably get a lot more enjoyment (well, primarily looking at modding here) out of it then Island.

LR2 also has more replay value, I think.

Fluffy Cupcake

Don't ask the guy (me) who has over a million hours on it. I don't think I can tell anymore.

Don't ask the guy (me) who has over a million hours on it. I don't think I can tell anymore.

I somehow doubt you've been playing it for over 114 years straight :P

Fluffy Cupcake

Don't ask the guy (me) who has over a million hours on it. I don't think I can tell anymore. I somehow doubt you've been playing it for over 114 years straight :P

Well don't look at me, le717 is the one with the power to write time! He must of brought it back so many years before it was released so that I could play it much sooner! Don't ask about my age, you don't need to understand.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.