"Dinosaur" LEGO Hong Kong Clone... Wut?

Drill Master

So today I was browsing the Dollar General down the road while I was waiting for my second interview (I think I might have a job soon :D ) and I found the small 'generic' toy isle. I say 'generic' because it's a dollar store. They don't typically sell top brands in their toy section, but rather small brands that no one has ever heard of.

So here we are, looking around, loads of those cheesy plastic shotguns and combat knives, and other random odds and ends, and I see something. It looks like a LEGO set at first glance. Oh wait... No it doesn't. Here are two sets simply called 'Dinosaur' by a small company of like 10 people known as Ankyo located somewhere in Hong Kong.

gallery_4309_262_1123722.jpg

gallery_4309_262_85728.jpg

So, both of these sets are 3 in 1 models. With the left set, you can build the Amphibious Tanystropheus, Amphibious Chariot, or the Amphibious Bulldozer. The other set gets you the Magic Armor Stegosaurus, Magic Armor Laser Gun, or the Magic Armor Reconnaissance Aircraft. Both come with a wind up motor that moves the dinosaurs' heads back and forth.

So... uh... I'm not sure what to say. Magic Armor? Amphibious Chariot? I'll just leave these here and let you guys mingle...

When I first read the topic title, I was just expecting something like a knockoff of the 2001 Dinosaurs sets or something similar. I was most certainly not expecting nonsensically named transforming robodinosaurs.

• Like 2

ProfessorBrickkeeper

It's still significantly better than that latest Transformers movie, you know, the one with the dinosaurs- the crappy one- the LATEST crappy one.

Anyway, I don't see how LEGO's latest dino theme can beat this.

• Like 2

gallery_4309_262_1123722.jpg

Only until now have I realised the lasers haven't been placed correctly on the left box; They are slightly higher up than the laser cannons themselves.

But really, this doesn't look like a child's toy from what I see (and I know LEGO also appeals for Adults but do you think Adults would think twice wether or not he/she is holding a LEGO Clone set?), it either looks like a lame attempt from marketing or its to test to see if the public will by LEGO clone brand sets which are based on a theme LEGO has never attempted before. My belief is that marketing came up with this idea somewhere along the lines of this;

Marketing Guy A; So, we've been hearing about how much LEGO has become famous over time and I think we need to top that.

Marketing Guy B; How about we do a LEGO clone, but on a theme LEGO hasn't done before since?

Marketing Guy C; ...what do people like...

Crazy Marketing Guy; DINOSAURS!

WITH LASERS!

CLONE LEGO SETS INVOLVING DINOSAURS WITH LASERS IN A 3 IN 1 BUILD!

Marketing Guy A+B+C; BRILLIANT

Reminds me of this clip:

http://youtu.be/Bh7bYNAHXxw

Parental Advisory: This film is rated 15, however this particular scene is fine.

Yeah, if Dr. Evil couldn't get them then I'm pretty surprised some small company could.

• Like 5

The Ace Railgun

Yeah, if Dr. Evil couldn't get them then I'm pretty surprised some small company could.

Well sharks with freaking lasers would be more realistic, since sharks still exist and it'd actually be possible to attach a laser to a shark. Dunno where they got the idea of Dinos with freaking lasers.

Quisoves Potoo

Well sharks with freaking lasers would be more realistic, since sharks still exist and it'd actually be possible to attach a laser to a shark. Dunno where they got the idea of Dinos with freaking lasers.

Likely because LEGO got there first:

8633-1.jpg

l405G.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.