LEGO Ideas First 2014 Review Results

PlatonicWaffles

PlatonicWaffles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiX7Q5_TTjo

So we're getting:

two sets, The Lego Birds Project and The Big Bang Theory, and the Doctor Who one potentially.

I will admit, I'm a bit miffed at the two sets, as the birds stuff seems like a glorified creator set, and I've never been a fan of The Big Bang Theory, but the possibility of either of the Doctor Who ones being a reality made me happy. I imagine they'll probably talk to the creator and have them include the Twelfth Doctor and Clara, though.

What do you think of the results? Happy with them? Saddened? Excited?

The birds set isn't my cup of tea, but it's neat to see it get through, as it's not depending on a license or any sort of big fancy IP.

The Big Bang Theory... lol. kden.

Also, I'm moving this to LEGO News as we have topics there for other review results, and it wouldn't make sense to make a duplicate of this one.

• Like 1

My main thoughts about the sets that are being produced is primarily "MEH". The main thing I'm REALLY excited about is the fact that Doctor Who may still eventually happen. The two-set result probably also explains why the review took so long.

The Ace Railgun

I like the LEGO birds project, and as for TBBT, well, I think it's an ok set, but I never really got into the show. Though it's nice to see that Doctor Who might still make it.

• Like 1

Quisoves Potoo

Well, this is unexpected. I'm quite happy for the Birds set (whose chances of success I was rather worried about,) Ornophile  that I am.  I'm incredibly surprised to see the Big Bang Theory pass. I know very little about the show, but it's a modern sitcom, which hardly suggests a nature appropriate for LEGO's target audience. But then, LEGO has been turning away from its once (as in 2012) staunchly defended guidelines for age appropriateness, what with sets based off the Dark Knight, the Dark Knight Rises, and the Simpsons. And there's no reason to hold Ideas to a double-standard.

Really happy about the birds project passing, considerably disappointed the Big Bang Theory did. What're you gonna do, though? For reasons that escape me, the Big Bang Theory has captured the imagination of the US, so a set based on the show makes enough sense from a purely logical standpoint.

The Big Bang Theory made it over Doctor Who. There's still a CHANCE that we'll get Doctor Who later, but not before a set based on a Chuck Lorre sitcom with cheap jokes geared more or less toward geek culture. A SITCOM WITH ADULT NERD HUMOR is being made as a toy for kids (Simpsons aside; I could justify that one because it was a "cartoon" which held a place in many a person's childhood).

I mean, what can you even DESIGN to evoke the feel of the common setting for TBBT??? A room with a bunch of odd/rare/rare colored pieces?? Minifigures of the entire gang? That's the only way I can see any appeal to this future set.

But with Doctor Who, it would be so EASY. You have the TARDIS, at least one of the incarnations of the Doctor (most likely the current), a companion (again, likely the current), and a couple baddies and accessories. Bam, done. Great work. Call it a day and see you all next week.

A set based on birds? Birds. Whatever. LEGO Birds. I can deal with that. Cute idea, but don't we have Creator sets coming out next year with focus on birds? Fine. A great desk piece.

BUT WHO THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO IMMORTALIZE THE ROMANTIC MISADVENTURES OF A BUNCH OF GEEKS IN PASEDENA CALIFORNIA INTO LEGO BRICKS??? I just fail to see how it could POSSIBLY translate well, other than what I said before about supplying a bunch of rare parts and colors, like using that new(er) Space helmet in olive green to mimic the SPARTAN helmet we see every now and then in episodes.

It's not that I hate the idea (because I do), but how THIS made it over Doctor Who. It's like LEGO was looking for a challenge, and making a model based on Doctor Who was too easy. TBBT as a show has really gone downhill as time went on, going from somewhat clever nerd humor to more and more sex jokes with a smattering of nerd culture references. This decline in quality is EXTREMELY common in Chuck Lorre sitcoms (just look at Two And A Half Men), and...

You know what, screw it. I'll judge properly when the set is released. For now I'll just lament over the fact that I STILL can't have an official LEGO TARDIS. 

• Like 2

Quisoves Potoo

It's not that I hate the idea (because I do), but how THIS made it over Doctor Who. It's like LEGO was looking for a challenge, and making a model based on Doctor Who was too easy

To be fair, Ideas reviews are not supposed to be competitions, save in the matter of production/release priority. While I agree that TBBT is an odd choice for, LEGO, I don't think LEGO chose it over Doctor Who, since it has been officially stated that this is not how the reviews operate. LEGO can't simply snap its collective fingers and produce a licensed Doctor Who set. Negotiations, royalties, and other assorted legalities must be surmounted. Nothing makes the production of TBBT LEGO sets and DW LEGO sets mutually exclusive.

And of course there's what I consider the single largest obstacle to an Ideas DW set, the IP's immense global popularity. It seems to me that if LEGO considered Doctor Who a viable property, then it would have begun negotiations for the license the moment it became available. So, I think, the Ideas projects in review are superfluous.. LEGO has no doubt already made a decision concerning Doctor Who sets. Either it produces them, or it doesn't. Ten-thousand votes are not going to change that. If we do see any, then I imagine they will be in a line of their own, not under the Ideas banner.

• Like 2

[long winded rant]

The Big Bang Theory "made it over" Doctor Who? That's just not how Cuusoo works. Each set is considered independently. The Big Bang Theory didn't "make it over Doctor Who" any more than some birds did.

We don't know why Doctor Who is still being considered rather than being approved (or not) right away, but I find it unlikely that it's because of the subject material/set content like you seem to be focusing on. There's numerous other factors in determining set feasibility besides that, especially when dealing with licenses. I know you apparently need something to yell about three times per day, but don't jump to conclusions based on assumptions and a misunderstanding of how the process works.

PlatonicWaffles

We don't know why Doctor Who is still being considered rather than being approved (or not) right away, but I find it unlikely that it's because of the subject material/set content like you seem to be focusing on. There's numerous other factors in determining set feasibility besides that, especially when dealing with licenses.

I actually have a theory on that - I think it's Mega Bloks that own the current licensing to Doctor Who brick-built toys, but haven't done anything with it in years. I have a gut feeling given the hype around the fact there's a new Doctor that they're going to buy the licensing from the BBC and develop a full line of Doctor Who toys.

Emphasis gut feeling. I'd be surprised if it did happen, but given the fact that the Ideas set is still up for debate, I get the feeling the higher-ups are trying to work something out.

I think the main reason that the Doctor Who projects are still under consideration is that the BBC are notoriously difficult to get licenses for as they tend to either overvalue or undervalue their IPs, making it difficult for companies to gain them.

The Big Bang Theory made it over Doctor Who. There's still a CHANCE that we'll get Doctor Who later, but not before a set based on a Chuck Lorre sitcom with cheap jokes geared more or less toward geek culture. A SITCOM WITH ADULT NERD HUMOR is being made as a toy for kids (Simpsons aside; I could justify that one because it was a "cartoon" which held a place in many a person's childhood).

I'm hoping that this is simply because Lego plans to make Dr. Who into a theme, and so doesn't want to pay royalties for something it's already planning to do. I don't get the Big Bang Theory thing. I just don't see how it appeals to the Lego target audience. Firstly, it's not aimed at 8-11 year olds. Secondly, it's a sitcom, so the appeal is not going to be in action, atmosphere, or visuals, which are essentially the things the translate into Lego sets. That's why we see a lot of Star Wars sets, and not say, sets based on stand-up comedians. So just from a marketing perspective, the bbt set is just plain weird.

I'm a little late to the party, but anyway. It seems that the general complaint is that Big Bang Theory made it... Well, considering the sets for review were:

• The LEGO Birds Project
  • Modular Apple Store
  • BTTF Jules Verne Train
  • Big Bang Theory
  • Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who and Companions
I can see why. The LEGO Birds Project got through in addition to the two Doctor Whos going for review, so that just leaves Modular Apple Store,  BTTF Jules Verne Train and Big Bang Theory. From these three, BTTF can be ruled out straight away as they've already produced a set from that license. Then we're left with a choice between Apple - a massive company competing with Microsoft - and BBT. From those two choices I can very much see why LEGO would choose a TV show over an Apple store. They already have plenty of advanced buildings (the Grand Emporium being an excellent shop kit), so that just leaves BBT.

Not that I'm happy with it though myself. As previously mentioned by others, I don't think the content of the show is appropriate for a toy reproduction intended for kids. Big Bang Theory certainly isn't appropriate for young audiences. But given the choice range, I can understand LEGO going with it, that's all I'm saying.

But given the choice range, I can understand LEGO going with it, that's all I'm saying.

Couldn't they have just bent the rules by releasing nothing for 3 months? If I didn't want Lego BBT I would've just did nothing until the next batch of voted sets came along.

I can see why. The LEGO Birds Project got through in addition to the two Doctor Whos going for review, so that just leaves Modular Apple Store,  BTTF Jules Verne Train and Big Bang Theory. From these three, BTTF can be ruled out straight away as they've already produced a set from that license. Then we're left with a choice between Apple - a massive company competing with Microsoft - and BBT. From those two choices I can very much see why LEGO would choose a TV show over an Apple store. They already have plenty of advanced buildings (the Grand Emporium being an excellent shop kit), so that just leaves BBT.

... What? That's not how Cuusoo's review process works. At all. Particularly the bit about BTTF being "ruled out" because a set with that license was already produced. Also, as said earlier in this topic, sets aren't pitted against each other. They didn't "choose a TV show over an Apple store". Each set is considered independently.

... What? That's not how Cuusoo's review process works. At all. Particularly the bit about BTTF being "ruled out" because a set with that license was already produced. Also, as said earlier in this topic, sets aren't pitted against each other. They didn't "choose a TV show over an Apple store". Each set is considered independently.

Wait, I thought LEGO was only supposed to pick one set each review, or two in this case? I didn't say they chose one over the other (well, except for Big Bang Theory over Apple), rather that they were sort of led there as a result of other options not being applicable. 

Actually, now that I think about it, yeah stupid comment of mine. Sorry. I just figured it was only meant to be one set each review.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Fluffy Cupcake

big bang is very inapropriate so this should this should be around

​I'll assume that should is a shouldn't. Anyhow...

That didn't stop the LEGO Simpsons from happening either. The next thing you know we'll be getting LEGO® Family Guy.

Revealed! Available August 1st, costs $59.99 US / EUR 59,99.

1934514-o_19mt08fr43ad1v0u1knpi68bvqb.jp

1934510-o_19mt08fr3kum155311opkgg1i0aa.j

Indulge your inner genius and build this LEGO® version of Leonard and Sheldon's living room as seen in the hit American sitcom The Big Bang Theory! This set was created by two LEGO fan designers-Alatariel from Sweden and Glen Bricker from the USA-and selected by LEGO Ideas members. Featuring loads of authentic details to satisfy all The Big Bang Theory devotees and including minifigures of all seven main characters from the show, it's ideal for display or role-play fun. Includes 7 minifigures with assorted accessory elements: Leonard, Sheldon, Penny, Howard, Raj, Amy and Bernadette.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.