Favourite TV Shows

PlatonicWaffles

PlatonicWaffles

Just a generalised discussion thread about your favourite TV shows, be it any genre or type (animated/ real, for example).

For me, my favourite TV shows are Parks & Recreation and American adaption of The Office. I'm a big fan of the mockumentary subgenre because I really like day-in-the-life sort of stories, and I love the characters across both shows. I just wish The Office didn't become so... meh towards the end of its run. Other notable mentions include Sherlock and Doctor Who, and the classic Simpsons episodes (not saying the new ones are bad, just not as good).

What about you? What are your favourite TV shows?

What about you? What are your favourite TV shows?

I rarely watch TV, I admit I like comedies like "3rd Rock from the Sun" or "Big Bang Theory"... ...but that's it...

• 3 weeks later...

I rarely watch TV. But when I do, I guess it would be:

• Doctor Who
  • House

Also, if we count discontinued shows:

• Captain Scarlet
  • Firefly
  • Stingray
  • Thunderbirds

sheepandshepherd

I don't watch much, prefer video games. But here's my favorites:

• Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis
  • Battlestar Galactica (the newer series)
  • Arrow
  • Star Trek (especially Deep Space Nine), though admittedly I only enjoyed about 1/3 of the episodes
  • Firefly

Also started watching anime a few years ago. A bit harder to pick my favorites, most of em are good but short :)

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/sheepandshepherd

Fluffy Cupcake
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra
  • Clone Wars
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Once Upon A Time
  • Super Mario Brothers Super Show
  • Sonic Boom
  • Dan Vs.

I'll break this down, a little.

Currently Aired New:

• The Blacklist: FBI agent and crime lord go through mind games while taking out villains.  Lots of twists and turns, but also enough blood at times to send all of Tumblr into a seizure.  Explores philosophy of good and evil, and morality, without being preachy, and it's easy to ignore the background philosophy... but I highly recommend thinking about it.  While not black and white, it still draws lines in places.
  • Person of Interest: A computer genius and two operatives, plus a homicide detective and crazy lady fight to stop crime using a backdoor in a government mass surveillance and monitoring project.  Then, it explores what happens when the hardcoded safeguards are removed giving people pure access to the information... which explores issues of government surveillance in a manner very relevant to today's IRS, NSA, and CIA oversteps.

And, I guess, Sherlock (BBC), but I count that more as a miniseries than a TV show.

Older stuff I love:

• The first several seasons of Stargate: SG1.  The last couple seasons, where they did a deus ex machina on the supersoldiers instead of making that an interesting, drawn out fight, and then went all weird with the Ori, were... not fun for me.
  • The Star Treks, from TOS to Voyager, and about half the movies.
  • The Original A-Team.
  • The Original Knight Rider.
  • The Mission Impossible TV show
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • Futurama

• 2 weeks later...
The Ace Railgun

As for Live action TV/non Anime shows, I like;

Stargate (all of them)

Firefly

Star Trek (all of them)

Warehouse 13

Eureka

Shawn the Sheep

Teen Titans

Samurai Jack

Heroes

Grimm

Cosmos

Doctor Who

Elementary

BBC's Sherlock

Chuck

(I have way too many favorites don't I :P)

I love Chuck and 30 Rock. I used to enjoy TBBT, but they can be annoyingly transphobic at times and unintentionally homophobic (the fact that homosexuality only comes up as a topic as a way to mock Howard and Raj for being good friends has some irritating implications). The same goes for family guy (definitely not homophobic, but extremely transphobic, with an entire episode to tell the world that trans people are gross freaks).

I enjoy The Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

I should be an anime person, but I'm more of a manga fan. That said, I highly enjoy Attack on Titan and would probably enjoy more anime if I actually tried watching it. I did like watching Yugioh (original), but more from an ironic nostalgia standpoint (because any of the genuine awesomeness in the manga is smashed to bits by 4kids).

• 7 months later...

I mainly watch cartoons or japanese tokusatsu shows.

Cartoons (so many to choose from): Spongebob, Batman Beyond, Ren and Stimpy, Steven Universe, Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Regular Show, Avatar, Kim Possible, Invader Zim, Transformers (G1, Beast Wars, or Prime),  too many that I can't list here at once.

Japanese Tokusatsu Shows: Kamen Rider (all of them), Super Sentai, Metal Heroes (mainly Space Sheriff), and Ultraman. 

When it comes to live-action: Power Rangers, Drake and Josh, That's so Raven, All That, Kenan and Kel. That's it.

• 3 weeks later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Teen Titans Go!. It's the only TV show I've actually watched all the way.

I've seen half of that show, it's one I've been off and on. It's alright for what it is, but if you try to compare it to the original, just... don't. They aren't comparable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.