Are all car sets the same speed etc?

HLDK

Hi guys!

I have been speed-running LG1 for a long time now. 

I am almost 100% sure the only difference between the car sets is the hitbox/size.

When browsing through the forums, I stumbled upon a guy asking if Rockets car was better than Veronica Voltages.

This made me pretty confused...

Is there really a difference between the cars?

I'm not sure about the cars themselves, but the paths they take during races affect how 'good' they are. RobExplorien has written an excellent post about it >here if you'd like to know more about that. Basically, each racer is programmed with their own specific path (a different one each lap) that they follow through the race, and this doesn't change. So, rather than them having AI as such, some simply are programmed to drive into powerups more than others. Hence Rocket Racer is always on the ball with those green powerups.

If I recall correctly, these paths also allow you to define a racer's speed - hence, one racer can be made to drive faster than another. This is perhaps how Basil the Batlord is so fast off the start line in his first race. However, I haven't studied these paths, so I cannot tell you if the developers did make some racers faster.

Going by how he mentioned speed running and car sets, I think he's asking about differences between playable car chassis, not opponents.

@JimbobJeffers I think he/she means the player controlled cars.

Going by how he mentioned speed running and car sets, I think he's asking about differences between playable car chassis, not opponents.

You are right. I am talking about controlling the cars.

Oh, whoops, looks like I just made an unnecessarily lengthy post then...  >.<

I don't know if player-controlled cars work differently. I would assume that if they did, it would be based entirely on the car base that you use and not the bricks you add. One could potentially test it by doing a time trial run against themselves, using different chassis' and seeing if you beat your own time in a different car.

There is a placebo effect in FreeSpace 2 between the Artemis and Artemis D.H.. Both ships in the retail version have identical stats, but their shape and texture are different, and the in-game descriptions claim that the Artemis D.H. is superior. Players claim that their performance in an Artemis D.H. is superior, despite there being no difference.

I don't believe that the vehicles in LEGO Racers have different stats other than size and shape. They may feel different, but the physics are all the same.

grappigegovert

I did some quick testing today, and it looks like the top speed varies depending on the car base, and the amount of bricks.
(heavier=faster?) 

I did some quick testing today, and it looks like the top speed varies depending on the car base, and the amount of bricks.

(heavier=faster?) 

I have done some research and made this video. 

I dunno, I think that there is something to the differences in turning beyond hitbox sizes. I know that whenever I use the standard castle chassis, the turning suddenly becomes a lot less responsive - or at least it seems very much as if I have difficulty pulling the same turns as I am able to do well enough with, say, the speed chassis.

I dunno, I think that there is something to the differences in turning beyond hitbox sizes. I know that whenever I use the standard castle chassis, the turning suddenly becomes a lot less responsive - or at least it seems very much as if I have difficulty pulling the same turns as I am able to do well enough with, say, the speed chassis.

That could be true.

In my video (

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading in the manual that came with the game that bigger chassis can go faster but take longer to accelerate to full speed.  This might just be a placebo, but I definitely have found it harder to beat, say, Gypsy Moth using the smallest chassis than using Rocket's chassis.

I've always felt some chassis' drive better than others I'm not sure why. I just have btter experiences using RR's, JT's, nad KK's than any others. If there is a speed difference I can't notice it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.