I now have a (incomplete) 6940 "Alien Moon Stalker"!

mumboking

DSC_0284.jpg

Looking in a charity shop today, I didn't find anything interesting until I spotted this on the floor behind a baby cot (it had fallen from a shelf).

As you may be able to see, it was taped shut, so I had no idea if it was all there or if it was even the right set inside.

I lifted the edges where I could and saw a few matching parts for this set, so I thought "Why not?".

For those that can't see properly, it was priced at £6.00

I had 3 main reasons for buying this:

• I do not want some kid to rip the tape off too quickly, ruining the box.
  • It's Classic Space LEGO.
  • It's LEGO.

DSC_0285.jpg

Luckily, the tape came off easily without ripping anything, apart from a tiny bit on the edges.

The box is in rather nice condition, although a part of the box under the flap is ripped...

There was something slightly annoying though. They put the sticker on the box before writing on it, resulting in the price and date being marked into the box. :(

DSC_0286.jpg

Opening it, it was obvious that it wasn't just LEGO in there.

There were a few Tyco Super Blocks in there as well. The Tyco set is obviously incomplete, judging by it's instructions.

It does have the LEGO set instructions! :D

DSC_0287.jpg

After a while sorting through pieces, I managed to assemble most of the set.

I was expecting bite marks and fading, but the bricks are in great condition!

I might as well list the missing pieces:

I'm using Peeron for the parts list and part numbers.

Spoiler

1 3957 in TrRed

3 4070 in OldGray

1 3963 in Black

3 3063 in OldGray

1 4589 in Black

1 4589 in TrRed

2 4448 in TrGreen

4 4593 in Black

2 4593 in White

2 4592 in OldGray

1 73590a in OldGray

1 3838 in Red

2 3024 in TrRed

1 4623 in OldGray

1 3623 in OldGray

1 3710 in OldGray

3 3022 in OldGray

1 3020 in OldGray

1 4740 in Black

1 3039p34 in OldGray

1 2342 in OldGray

So, if I checked and counted correctly, there's 34 missing pieces. About 87% complete; not too bad!

It seems strange to me that part 3069bp25 in OldGray is used, but gets hidden by a 2x2 plate directly over it in the next step. :/

EDIT: Is it common for a 3068b in OldGray to have no info underneath apart from just the number 8? One of them in this set is like this... Identical otherwise...

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice find, even though it's incomplete. I'm surprised the box is even there to begin with let alone still in good condition. Of the times I've been to a charity store, LEGO is usually pretty beaten up.

What's the condition of the space minifigs?

I'm unsure about the oldgrey piece though.

On 01/11/2014 at 2:49 AM, Cyrem said:

That's a nice find, even though it's incomplete. I'm surprised the box is even there to begin with let alone still in good condition. Of the times I've been to a charity store, LEGO is usually pretty beaten up.

I was happily surprised too. :)

What's the condition of the space minifigs?

The minifigs are in near perfect condition, I'd say... Only minor marks/dents. The logos on them are unmarked.

The red one is missing its jetpack/airtanks. The blue helmet has no dimples, but the red one does.

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

Now that I'm examining them closer, I see that their legs don't have the LEGO copyright on them. The hip piece does though.

Blue Legs info: L: 3, R: 12

Red Legs info: L: 1, R: 3

The legs thing seems to be normal for older figs though, as some different minifigs I know to be original are similar.

I'm unsure about the oldgrey piece though.

It may be an error piece, but that's unlikely. I don't think a pic is necessary.

Clearly these spacemen never had the chance to go to space (probably due to the missing pieces) because all that do have cracked helmets, dents all over, their logos are half rubbed off and their faces are pale.

But seriously, they are in excellent condition. You've gotten yourself a bargain.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.