LRR unable to function on Windows Emulator

Ben24x7

Title says all...   ...well, probably, I dunno. But anyway;

I have VMWare Fusion, basically its a computer emulator (in this case I use it to emulate Windows 7). I tried to install LRR earlier last month and it did install. The problem is when I try to play it.

I launch Standard version; nothing happens, no matter how long I wait

I launch Enchanced version; Nothing happens

I launch the game from the disk; Nothing happens

Now, it is possible the reason is because I am using a Windows emulator on a Mac, but I don't know. And besides I don't know anyone else who has VMWare Fusion on a Mac and has tried to run LRR on the emulator.

Any help regarding this problem will be handy.

--Ben24x7--

Probably related to accelerated 3D graphics. I remember DirectX being tricky in emulators.

You might try messing with the 3D settings of the emulator.

Now I come to think of it; because the Emulator is on a Mac then that means that the Emulator renders using OpenGL.

Could that be the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Launch the legorr.exe directly.

Choose "RGB Emulation" with the 640x480 resolution and it should work.

If not, try the win xp compabilty mode and 16-bit colours.

Right-click > compability

Launch the legorr.exe directly.

Choose "RGB Emulation" with the 640x480 resolution and it should work.

If not, try the win xp compabilty mode and 16-bit colours.

Right-click > compability

Do you have it running under RGB emulation? AFAIK no one has been able to actually play a level in that mode, normally crashes.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Now I come to think of it; because the Emulator is on a Mac then that means that the Emulator renders using OpenGL.

Could that be the problem?

Technically, unless I'm mistaken, VMWare Fusion emulates or virtualizes DirectX and draws it to your screen using OpenGL. The fact that it's OpenGL should be transparent to the game. How well it's implemented and how many ugly hacks LRR uses is another story though. If I find time, I'll try it myself and see if I have any success.

JrMasterModelBuilder

If I find time, I'll try it myself and see if I have any success.

I tried it this morning. I copied the game folder (I have the no-DRM copy) to my Bootcamp partition running Windows 7 and was able to run the game when booted into Windows 7 natively. I have VMware Fusion 6 configured to virtualize my Bootcamp partition, so I re-booted into the OS X side, booted the Bootcamp partition in VMware, tried to run the game, and got the choose rending options dialog. Unfortunately, choosing the Direct 3D option resulted in the game closing. I tried again in windowed mode after setting the display to 16-bit color but got the same thing. Running the with RGB emulation got the game to open to the menu (as suggested above), but as Cyrem said, it crashes (or closes, not sure which) on choosing a mission.

I attempted to determine why by running it under OllyDbg and discovered that the game is apparently choosing to close itself, rather than crashing (or it might be handling it's own crash gracefully, not sure). I backtraced the section of code that causes the game to close, and found the ASM register comparison that apparently determines if the game should close, but that's about where things become very unclear. It's pulling a value off the stack (in this case 0), but I don't know where it got set, much less what it represents.

I might try VirtualBox or Wine later.

• 1 month later...

It does not matter any more. I found the solution; ?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

Apparentally, LRR won't run as Standard or Enhanced versions but "Lego Rock RaidersTM" will apparentally run as long as you do set it to RGB Simulation.

I'm sorry I didn't pay much attention to this topic, so what I just said in the blog and/or in this post someone here has already figured this out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.