LR2 Unused Lighthouse Position Found

MaelstromIslander

MaelstromIslander

Taken from the screenshot description i posted:

I just love being an unused content researcher.

When i was viewing xiron's overhead view snapshot of Sandy Bay, it made me remember some talk about the lighthouse keeper and how theres no lighthouse in-game.

Well, i took a look at some lets play of LR2 GBA (i think it might have been the beta or something) and i realized that right in the position of a small blank area in LR2, there was a lighthouse in GBA.

I quickly ran over to Microsoft Paint and grabbed both screenshots and tried to compare the bits and pieces in both games, and made a big red huge X on where the lighthouse might have been. Now all we need is more information from a developer about the lighthouse.

Here's a link of my analysis screenshot:

'>

Quisoves Potoo

Hmm... I'm not so certain. Why would the lighthouse be on top of the cave? I suppose it's possible, but your placement hinges on the existence of a correlation between the geographies of Sandy Bay in both versions of the game, something I'm not seeing from the picture you posted. Even if there is a correlation, I'm not certain why the cave makes sense. There's nothing suggesting it's existence in the GBA version. Surely that peninsula to the north of it makes more sense. It even corresponds to the map better, by virtue of being on an extremity of the island.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

As I said in the shoutbox, another altnate location it could of been aside from ontop of the cave (which, as QP said, is kind of weird... unless of course the cave wasn't originally intented) is where the Dino Island docks is.

Also, I'm kind of disapointed the volcano and waterfall was never put in the PC version now, that would of been much cooler to see than a plain ol mountain and bridge across a pond.

MaelstromIslander

Hmm... I'm not so certain. Why would the lighthouse be on top of the cave? I suppose it's possible, but your placement hinges on the existence of a correlation between the geographies of Sandy Bay in both versions of the game, something I'm not seeing from the picture you posted. Even if there is a correlation, I'm not certain why the cave makes sense. There's nothing suggesting it's existence in the GBA version. Surely that peninsula to the north of it makes more sense. It even corresponds to the map better, by virtue of being on an extremity of the island.

Okay, okay, what? I lost you when you said "Why would the lighthouse be on top of the cave?" because i don't see why that would even be a problem. If it is a problem, then thats probably why the lighthouse was removed in the first place.

Quisoves Potoo

Okay, okay, what? I lost you when you said "Why would the lighthouse be on top of the cave?" because i don't see why that would even be a problem. If it is a problem, then thats probably why the lighthouse was removed in the first place.

As I said, such an arrangement is possible, but it seems strangely compact. I don't imagine that the developers would place it there when they could give it a place all its own. I doubt that they were working with strict constraints on Sandy Bay's geography. They were perfectly capable of altering it, after all.

Surely it's a little more north; just on that little outcrop? That looks pretty rocky to me and a sensible place to put a lighthouse...

I quickly ran over to Microsoft Paint

*high-five* :P

Quisoves Potoo
Surely it's a little more north; just on that little outcrop?

That's a better way to describe it than "peninsula."

My only brain, why do you not function? Why, why, are your sweet neurons, where all my life's peace lies, with me at war?

:P

lol username

Welcome to RRU.

Surely it's a little more north; just on that little outcrop? That looks pretty rocky to me and a sensible place to put a lighthouse...

Agreed with this. Despite the PC and GBA maps being fairly different, it actually matches up between the two better than the initial suggestion of on top of the cave - in the GBA version the lighthouse is on the far northeast corner of the island, on that outcrop, farther north than the volcano/mountain, and the cave was removed entirely. In the PC version that same outcrop exists; if we're gonna speculate, that seems to be a much more solid speculation, rather than placing it on top of a location that doesn't even exist in the GBA version.

MaelstromIslander

Welcome to RRU.

Agreed with this. Despite the PC and GBA maps being fairly different, it actually matches up between the two better than the initial suggestion of on top of the cave - in the GBA version the lighthouse is on the far northeast corner of the island, on that outcrop, farther north than the volcano/mountain, and the cave was removed entirely. In the PC version that same outcrop exists; if we're gonna speculate, that seems to be a much more solid speculation, rather than placing it on top of a location that doesn't even exist in the GBA version.

The cave probably didn't exist yet when the lighthouse was planned.

Anyway, i dont really see any outcrop, and the only thing thats rocky is that seperate island, if thats what you mean. I'll do a bit more research.

lol username

You don't need "more research" to see what we're talking about, it's already on the "analysis screenshot". I've added a line to illustrate.

wYm1aQE.jpg

Though the screenshot of the PC/PS2 island on there is flipped horizontally - did you flip it, or did Xiron flip it, or was it taken with the mirror mode cheat on, or...?

• Like 2

MaelstromIslander

You don't need "more research" to see what we're talking about, it's already on the "analysis screenshot". I've added a line to illustrate.

-snip-

Though the screenshot of the PC/PS2 island on there is flipped horizontally - did you flip it, or did Xiron flip it, or was it taken with the mirror mode cheat on, or...?

I flipped it in MS Paint, anyway, i was thinking that was probably what you guys meant, but i thought the rock was more of what you meant, stupidly. :P Should i edit the OP?

I'm thinking something; the only reason we know it's there and not the other side of the island is our other reference point; the boat.

Why would we be using a BOAT? A boat could go ANYWHERE. It seems a little weird to place the lighthouse because of where a boat is.... If the town and river (if there is one) were in correct spots, then yes... but a boat...

Though: judging by the waterfall  and that red dot (possible the town?) it does seem that perhaps the lighthouse is there.

Though: judging by the waterfall and that red dot (possible the town?) it does seem that perhaps the lighthouse is there.

It is definitely the town, and the lighthouse has to be there. If you look at the landscape in the position that jamesster pointed out, you can see that a lighthouse there would fit quite perfectly. :P

MaelstromIslander

I'm thinking something; the only reason we know it's there and not the other side of the island is our other reference point; the boat.

Why would we be using a BOAT? A boat could go ANYWHERE. It seems a little weird to place the lighthouse because of where a boat is.... If the town and river (if there is one) were in correct spots, then yes... but a boat...

Though: judging by the waterfall  and that red dot (possible the town?) it does seem that perhaps the lighthouse is there.

Does the boat even matter? The bridge, the mountain, and the town all line up to show that the lighthouse is on that point in the corner.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.