Community Project: RRU: The Webcomic

Ayliffe

I've been working on this for some time in the background for a while and I've only mentioned it on the Shoutbox recently, but now it's time for me to finally reveal this and ask for some feedback.

Basically, my idea is to run a webcomic based around the members of RRU on the 'LMS Observer' trying to get back to earth in one piece. However, instead of me doing every single strip on my own and doing everything, my idea was to have various members do some of the strips, and instead of them trying to do each comic in my own style (which is quite dodgy anyways) they will be allowed to do their strip in their own unique style, as long as the characters are recognizable and aren't completely different (for example, you could draw Cirevam in a manga style, but you can't give him a quiff or a pink raincoat, otherwise he wouldn't be recognisable as Cirevam). If you're interested in joining in please shout at me in a post below or send me a shouty PM. Before we even start with the actual webcomic though, each character that will be in the webcomic will need a Character Sheet. This is basically a drawing of them coupled with a description of their personality and some backstory if nessasary. This is so that when one of us is doing a strip and forgets what a certain character looks like or how they would react in a certain situation due to their personality. So far I've done two character drawings and thought up several descrptions, which I'll post later on when I have time. Also it may be worth noting that I probably won't be putting every single member of RRU to ever exist ever in the webcomic mainly because otherwise we'll get too many characters who are extremely similar to each other and keeping track of everyone would be a pain, so I'll probably limit the amount of characters to about 15 or 20.

Anyway, What do you guys think about this?

PEOPLE WHO WANT TO DO SOME DRAWING FOR THIS:
SOMESWEDISH
BEN24x7

CHARACTER DRAWINGS AND DESCRIPTIONS:

Chief Cirevam:

IMAGE (spoiler'd for size):

chief_cirevam_character_drawing__rru_web

DESCRIPTION:
After an unfortunate incident with the former Chief Cyrem and a rock monster, Cirevam was pushed up the ranks and was deemed a suitable new Chief for the LMS Observer. He is usually quite serious about his position, but occasionally he can be a bit more relaxed. For since reason he has never been seen without his infamous shades and sideburns, and asking for him to remove either of these key features will possibly get you ejected off the ship.

Ayliffe:

IMAGE (spoiler'd for size):

ayliffe_character_drawing__rru_webcomic_

DESCRIPTION:
As a member of a mining ship filled with high tech equipment and advanced computing software, you would expect everyone to be a computers expert, and nearly everyone on the LMS Observer is. Everyone except Ayliffe, that is. Him and technology simply don't get on at all, and even the simplest tasks such as sending an email can be the hardest thing in the universe. This may explain why he is the only member of the ship to still use a classic typewriter to send letters.

**UPDATE**
Sorry for the crudeness of this update, I'm on the mobile site so I can't really do much at the moment. Anyway, when I first set this up I was meant to put the first two character drawings and their descriptions in the OP, but in the end I completely forgot to do this, so I've put them in now. Also, I noticed that some people were very interested in doing some of the strips, so I've added a list of people who are interested in taking part in the OP too. I'm off to Paris for a week today, so I won't be able to scan any character drawings but I'll make sure I have several to upload when I get back!

lol username

894.jpg

lol that.

If you do it like the old one, a complete free-for-all primarily consisting of of one-offs or whatever anybody cares to do, I'd do stuff for it. Tons of ideas. Just don't take it seriously, like you seem to be doing in the OP. Attempting to create a very formal and structured "RRU Webcomic" is like showing up at a pizza party wearing a tuxedo. You'd probably just get food poisoning and puke on your tie.

• Like 6

If you do it like the old one, a complete free-for-all primarily consisting of of one-offs or whatever anybody cares to do, I'd do stuff for it. Tons of ideas. Just don't take it seriously, like you seem to be doing in the OP. Attempting to create a very formal and structured "RRU Webcomic" is like showing up at a pizza party wearing a tuxedo. You'd probably just get food poisoning and puke on your tie.

Yeah, there's not going to be an organised coherent storyline or anything, it's just going to be small strips like the ones I've posted recently every week or so.

(for example, you could draw Cirevam in a manga style, but you can't give him a quiff or a pink raincoat, otherwise he wouldn't be recognisable as Cirevam).

I could be wearing a quiff and a pink raincoat and you'd know who I am due to my sideburns.

Well, this ought to be, uh. Interesting, to say the least. I don't have an artistic bone in my body, but I'm interested to see where you're going with this.

As for any advice, as Jamesster said, keeping it nonsensical is probably the best when dealing with these kinds of things.

I'm decent enough at drawing, but I suck at blocking and perspective which kinda puts a damper on camic making. I could still give it a shot though.

Drill Master

I could practice drawing in TCAD since my freehand drawing is worse than a 1st grader (unless I try really hard, then it looks like a 2nd grader)

Right then, time for an update. I've just added the first two character drawings and descriptions to the OP, plus a list of people who want to do some of the strips. I'm off to Paris for a week so I won't be able to scan any character drawings in that time, but I'll still be working on them while I'm gone. :) Also, I've just found out that when I edited the OP on my mobile earlier, it removed the poll D8 . Because the poll's been open for about a month or so now, I'm just going to say that LMS Observer won with 50% of the vote, and I'll set up a new poll for something else when I get back.

I'm game

I could use any excuse to draw anything

Great to have you on board! I've added you to the list of people that would like to take part :)

Yes. So much yes.

Thanks for the support!

This reminds me of the already existing RRU Webcomic, though it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=87954

Thanks for that Sadie! I'll have a look at it when I have time.

I don't know if you are taking in volunteers yet but I'd like to draw a strip.

Great! I've added you to the list in the OP. :)

This might be interesting.

Also, >my thread here could be a good reference for character designs.

Thanks Fush! Actually, your drawings were part of the inspiration for this project, and for some characters I may Steal borrow some of your ideas if you don't mind :P

(for example, you could draw Cirevam in a manga style, but you can't give him a quiff or a pink raincoat, otherwise he wouldn't be recognisable as Cirevam).

I could be wearing a quiff and a pink raincoat and you'd know who I am due to my sideburns.

Good point. Actually, now you've given me an idea for a strip.... :P

Clearly, the ship should be called "The Proto Pegasus."

Your arguments are irrelevant.

Why didn't I think of that? :P

Well, this ought to be, uh. Interesting, to say the least. I don't have an artistic bone in my body, but I'm interested to see where you're going with this.

As for any advice, as Jamesster said, keeping it nonsensical is probably the best when dealing with these kinds of things.

Thanks for the support Oboe!

As for the webcomic being nonsensical, there isn't going to be a linear storyline or anything, it's just going to be a bit like the old one (random stuff) but with recognisable characters so that other people don't get confused about who is who. The character sheets are mainly there so that if one of us is drawing a strip and forgets how to do a certain character (what they're wearing, personality, etc) then they can just get out the character sheet for that character and see what they've forgotten.

I AM SHOUTING AT YOU BECAUSE YOU SAID TO SHOUT IF YOU WANNA BE A PART OF THIS.

THAT IS GOOD THANK YOU FOR SHOUTING HOW EXACTLY DO YOU WANT TO BE A PART OF THIS?

I'm decent enough at drawing, but I suck at blocking and perspective which kinda puts a damper on camic making. I could still give it a shot though.

Thats great! :D Do you want me to add your name to the list in the OP?

I could practice drawing in TCAD since my freehand drawing is worse than a 1st grader (unless I try really hard, then it looks like a 2nd grader)

Great! Got any examples of your drawing skills to show us? :)

Drill Master

Quote by Ayliffe: on today at this time:

--------------------------------------

Great! Got any examples of your drawing skills to show us? :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

gallery_4309_262_27771.png

This isn't in TCAD, but I threw this together in P.N for the anniversary. Notice it's only lines and circles. Not freehand.

Also, I drew a minifig in TCAD (I'll link it later cause my phone hates RRU, hence the wonderful quoting above)

But anyway that's what I can do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jokes aside, we do have some pretty good artists here, and I wouldn't be objected to an actual RRU webcomic series. Are you, Ben24x7 and someswedish still interested in this project?

...are you, Ben24x7 -- still interested in this project?

I am, but I don't know where to start. :P

What if other, not-so-artistic but otherwise creative members provided stories? That'd work.

...are you, Ben24x7 -- still interested in this project?

I am, but I don't know where to start. :P

What if other, not-so-artistic but otherwise creative members provided stories? That'd work.

Redo the ending of RR. The hyperdrive got eaten by slugs, the Rock Monsters threw a party in the dorms, and Chief is a lie; Bandit is the real boss.

Sorry Cirevam. But you're a lie.

• Like 2

Redo the ending of RR. The hyperdrive got eaten by slugs, the Rock Monsters threw a party in the dorms, and Chief is a lie; Bandit is the real boss.

Your wish is my command. Introducing the Alternate Alternate LRR Ending, achived by letting all forms of life live, shooting Chief with a laser beam and collecting 56,892,689,028,690,289,628 Rapid Riders;

RbbvB7J.jpg

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.