[MOC] Technic B-25 Mitchell WIP

apemax

Hey all. :)

Well I finally started work on my next Technic aircraft, A B-25 Mitchell. It's going to be a similar size to my Technic Spitfire and mostly the same type of functions. The planned functions I have at the moment are:

• Both engines powered by a PF XL motor each.
  • Working ailerons, elevator and rudder all controlled from the cockpit.
  • Working Landing gear powered by a PF M motor.
  • Working Landing flaps also powered by a PF M motor.
  • Working turrets.

I've so far built part of the left engine bay with the landing gear leg and the basic structure of the center of the main fuselage. First a couple of pictures of the engine bay:

B25-WIP1-1.JPG
B25-WIP1-2.JPG

Next up is the section of main fuselage I've built so far:

B25-WIP1-5.JPG

And thats everything for now. I'm not sure how long this MOC is going to take as I don't currently have all the pieces needed and affording them is going to be interesting to say the least but I will try and finish it before the end of the year hopefully.  :)

Oh nice! What are the chances of this being a remote control one? (minus the flight obviously) and will it have reloading :af: ?

Will it fly? :3

I'm presuming you're making this plane? If so, WILL IT DROP BOMBS? :P

How do you plan to make the turrets? An actual firing missile (like one of Lego's pre-made things?) or a TECHNIC contrivance that fires a Lego part?

P.S. Can you put the images in spoilers? It's a bit of a pain to scroll uuuuuuup and doooooooooown all the time.

Oh nice! What are the chances of this being a remote control one? (minus the flight obviously) and will it have reloading :af: ?

Thanks. Yep all the powered functions will be remote controlled. You mean like the turrets reloading? If so I don't think actual firing/reloading turrets would be possible in this scale. Would be cool though.

Will it fly? :3

I'm presuming you're making this plane? If so, WILL IT DROP BOMBS? :P

How do you plan to make the turrets? An actual firing missile (like one of Lego's pre-made things?) or a TECHNIC contrivance that fires a Lego part?

P.S. Can you put the images in spoilers? It's a bit of a pain to scroll uuuuuuup and doooooooooown all the time.

Yep thats the plane I'm making, maybe if I can fit the mechanism in.  :D

As I said above I don't think actual firing turrets would be possible at this scale but they will be able to rotate and point up and down like the real ones. :)

Done.  :thumbsup:

I've done quite a bit of work on the B-25 so I thought I'd post another update and show what I've done since the first part. First up I replaced the left and right landing gear mechanism with a bit better design that should be a bit stronger and work a bit better.

B-25-WIP2-4.JPG

This is actually the beginning of the right engine bay. The landing gear mechanism is a bit easier to see on this side as it isn't built up as much.

B-25-WIP2-3.JPG

The landing gear in the down position.

Next I built the control stick and peddle for the ailerons, elevator and rudder.

B-25-WIP2-8.JPG

As you can see this is more compact than the control system I built for my Spitfire.

I've only added one peddle for the rudder as to try and fit two inside such a small area would
be difficult so I thought I'd go for just one to make it a bit easier. I've also added the front landing gear as well.

Lastly a couple of shots of the overall progress I've made.

B-25-WIP2-5.JPG
B-25-WIP2-1.JPG

• Like 3

The Ace Railgun

Stop it you're making me want to MOC again....On another note, that landing gear mechanism looks great.

Stop it you're making me want to MOC again....On another note, that landing gear mechanism looks great.

Thanks. :)  Yeah much better than the other way I was going to do it.

Just a quick update today as I haven't gotten much building done in the past week. I did a bit of work on the tail section and I think I've come up with a design that should be quite strong once it's finished. It's also now getting close to how long it's going to end up being once finished.

B25-WIP3-1.JPG

I have actually run out of 1x16 studded beams so I might replace some in the tail with 1x14 studded beams.

And thats it for this update. Hopefully I get a bit more building done this week.  :)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get a bit more work done on the B-25 over the past week so I thought I'd post another update on what I've done. First of I've done a bit of work on the control system so now the control stick has all it's outputs and I just need to connect them all to the control surfaces which will be done once I've actually made the control surfaces.

B25-WIP4-1.JPG
B25-WIP4-2.JPG

These two outputs are for the ailerons.

The other part I worked on was the tail. I replaced some of the 1x16 studded beams with 1x14 studded beams and started on the very beginnings of the tailplane.

B25-WIP4-4.JPG

And finally the overall progress I've made on the fuselage.

B25-WIP4-5.JPG

• Like 1

More progress has been made on the B-25 in the past week so here's what I've done.

This past week I tried to focus on the placement of the motors for the landing gear and the mechanism to connect them to the actual landing gear. I also added the two main beams where the wings are going attach to.

B25-WIP5-1.JPG

This is the motor for the landing gear on the wings.

B25-WIP5-4.JPG

This is the motor of the nose landing gear.

And as usual a picture of the over progress, I'll probably work on the tail section a bit more and get the battery box mounted as well this next week.

B25-WIP5-5.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some more work done on my B-25 over the weekend so here's what I've done. I've added the other side of the nose section as well as completely replaced the control mechanism for the elevator control to using beams as the original way of doing that (using axles) wasn't going to work. I've also run the rudder control mechanism to the tail as well although I haven't added the actual rudders in yet.

B25-WIP6-1.JPG

I also came up with a preliminary design for the top turret.

B25-WIP6-2.JPG

Another quick update today as I've made a bit more progress on the B-25 so here's what's been done.

The main thing I've been focusing on over the past few days is the tail section which as you can see is starting to look a bit more like the real thing. I still have a way to go yet but I've finally got the control surfaces on the tail working well so the only control surface left to get working is the ailerons which I can only to do once I've actually made the wings.

B25-WIP7-1.JPG

Something I forgot to put in the last update was that I had actually built the propellers. They are a similar design to the propeller on my Spitfire but smaller as this model is in a smaller scale.

B25-WIP7-2.JPG

Finally as usual a shot of the overall model.

B25-WIP7-3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some more work done on my B-25 over the past week so I thought I'd post an update to tell you all what I've done.

I've improved the tail section a bit by adding beams going straight up the under side of the fuselage as well as building a bit more of the tail it's self.

B25-WIP8-2.JPG

I've also built a preliminary design for the tail gun.

B25-WIP8-3.JPG

Another thing I did was put in the battery box and IR receiver where they will go. I'm not 100% happy about how far the battery box sticks out the top but I'm not sure how to solve that one yet.

B25-WIP8-1.JPG

Blocks away!

It's nice to see some more progress on this, it's slowly-but-surely taking shape. :thumbsup:

Thanks.  :)

Yeah main thing thats slowing it down is my lack of a second XL motor and second IR receiver but hey, It'lll get their eventually.  :thumbsup:

Just a very quick update today as I haven't gotten that much done over the past week.

The main thing that I focused on this time was the front section. I've built the preliminary design of the cockpit canopy and nose canopy and although there is still a few bits to be added I think it make the nose section look much better.

B25-WIP9-1.JPG

• Like 1

A bit of a different update today as I haven't got much progress done on the actual model however I have been trying to come up with a good design for the front of the engines. I've made this in LDD as I don't really have the pieces to make it on the actual model and I'm just trying to come up with ideas at the moment. I think it looks better than it looks now however want do you all think? Also I've been trying to find a design for a radial engine that I can put in the area inside the plates however I haven't been able to find one the fits that also will let an axle through without it spinning the actual engine as well. Anyone have any ideas on this?

B-25-engine-WIP.png

Another quick update today on the engine design of my B-25 project. I managed to come up with a possible design for the radial engines in the B-25 in LDD. What do you all think?

B-25-engine-WIP-2.png

Looking good apemax, although I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to aircraft so I can't comment on the accuracy of it. But looking at it on its own, I can definitely see it's an engine. Reminds me of the engine on LEGO set 5928.

Looking good apemax, although I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to aircraft so I can't comment on the accuracy of it. But looking at it on its own, I can definitely see it's an engine. Reminds me of the engine on LEGO set 5928.

Thanks.  :)

Just noticed that the B-25's engine is a 14 cylinder twin row engine so it should actually have 7 cylinders at the front and not eight like I have so I need to drop a cylinder from that design to make it accurate.

Just noticed that the B-25's engine is a 14 cylinder twin row engine so it should actually have 7 cylinders at the front and not eight like I have so I need to drop a cylinder from that design to make it accurate.

Isn't seven a bit of an awkward number to make in LEGO if they're meant to be equally spread? I can't imagine how you'd do that, unless the cylinders came off the axle instead of being attached to the plates.

Isn't seven a bit of an awkward number to make in LEGO if they're meant to be equally spread? I can't imagine how you'd do that, unless the cylinders came off the axle instead of being attached to the plates.

Yeah seven isn't going to be easy but I may have an idea on how to do it. :thumbsup:  Unfortunately I can't attach them to the axle because they would just start spinning with the propeller which as you might expect wouldn't be very good.  :P

And as usual a picture of the over progress, I'll probably work on the tail section a bit more and get the battery box mounted as well this next week.

B25-WIP5-5.JPG

Look at all that cool old stuff in one picture :cry:  :D 

This thing keeps getting bigger every time I look at it, how big does it measure now? I expect it's going to have some weight behind it once the wings and panels are on...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.