BIONICLE RETURNING 2015

jedi299

Looking forward to this, we already know from Merlin that the characters get more breathing room to come to life, and visually things are looking to be pretty rad as well. Kulta looks weird but I appreciate that they did something to differentiate his mask from the Warriors. Wouldn't be surprised if Scorpio doesn't show up at all, I'm pretty sure he was a late addition to the party.

Interesting that the Skull Creatures wear the golden masks to up their power, not just steal them. I wonder if this means Kulta will don the Mask of Creation after all?

The summer wave was looking kinda budget at first with the more modest lineup but the full 30-second ad, the Comic Con presence and a trailer for the second wave of episodes leaves me confident that the line is faring well. I'm really excited to see what 2016 brings in terms of media content.

On another note, it seems Ryder Windham is going to author the graphic novels as well as the books, which makes enough sense I guess but does make me antsy (don't put all your eggs in one basket and whatnot). I mean, I'm sure the stuff he writes will be okay but his career is built entirely on Star Wars stuff. I kinda wanted a BIONICLE writer to have their own creative identity beyond "writes a bunch of fluff and cash-in merchandising content." Especially since Star Wars is decidedly sci-fi. I worry that his writing might slip BIONICLE back into that genre, which it really wasn't made for.

Edited by Pereki

New webisode trailer!

This... sounds... exactly... like... the Metru Nui plotline with the Visorak...

I worry that his writing might slip BIONICLE back into that genre [sci-fi], which it really wasn't made for.

Well, giant PEWPEWPEW lasers weren't exactly Bionicle's previous default weapon, but judging by that trailer they seem to be quite well liked l405G.jpg

EDIT: That big gap didn't show up in the editor :o

Edited by aidenpons

This... sounds... exactly... like... the Metru Nui plotline with the Visorak...

Good catch - a ruined city occupied by an army that the Toa must infiltrate to free someone locked in an endless sleep. Someone said pretty early on that they thought that the Ancient City would be G2's foil to Metru Nui, and in a lot of ways that seems to be the case. They've definitely channeled the design of the Colesium from the movies into the ancient arena Skull Slicer is in.

G2 is finding some really neat ways to mix up the mythology of the previous generation.

So um. Amazon updated with full book preview, including the first pages. The Protectors all have... um, names now. And they are all confirmed men because lol women.

http://www.amazon.com/Island-Lost-Masks-LEGO-Bionicle/dp/0545873258/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437078685&sr=1-6&keywords=lego&refinements=p_76%3A1250218011%2Cp_n_availability%3A2245265011%2Cp_lbr_books_series_browse-bin%3ABionicle

Gotta love how much it reads like a Farshtey book. :nick::nick::nick:

mods please rename me to bingzak, tia

edit: okay I calmed down, the book is very normal and that's okay. It'd be nice to see some really, really good writing for BIONICLE again someday, though

Edited by Pereki
  • Like 2

The story will probably never get beyond Diet Bionicle, if you ask me. 

In related news, thanks to clearance deals, I now have most of the Toa and Not-Turaga sitting in a drawer, waiting for a slow Saturday to be opened.  Odd that most of the Toa have been on clearance all ready, but not all of them.

Edited by IncogM

Quisoves Potoo

Interesting.

When the young boy saw the skull spiders skittering towards him, he screamed and accidentally dropped the long stick he'd been carrying as a weapon before he turned and started running for his life.

Ugh, that's a rather clumsy sentence.  Not an auspicious start. Fortunately, it improves from there.

"Protectors never get lost."

"Never?"

"Well, almost never."

Then give three cheers of celebration, for Nilkuu's faultless sense of navigation!

The most frustrating aspect of the writing, I find, is that Mr. Windham seems to be a good writer who is writing down to his audience. This shows particularly in the dialogue.

As for the names, they're cool. "Bingzak" is daft, but in a wonderful sort of way.

And they are all confirmed men because lol women.

Am I missing something here? I don't see any mention of the Protectors' genders, aside from Nilkuu.

edit: okay I calmed down, the book is very normal and that's okay. It'd be nice to see some really, really good writing for BIONICLE again someday, though

Since when has BIONICLE had superb writing? Farshtey's was perfectly good, in my opinion, but not top-tier, by any means. Hapka's was decent, if memory serves, but a bit basic. Heck, the best writing BIONICLE has had may well the dialogue of MNOG, which was rather charming, but constrained by being in a game. Perhaps Windham's could be something special, but his work here screams "Kids' book!" so much that it's hard to tell.

On the subject of writers, you know who I want writing for BIONICLE? Stephen Marley. I read his Doctor Who Missing Adventure, Managra (sadly his sole contribution to the mythos) recently, and it was fantastic. It was witty, evocative, and imaginative. Plus, his forte is dark fantasy. BIONICLE could be right up his ally.

Anyway, this preview should quell the worries of those who feared that we would be denied the chance to explore the world of Gen2 in any depth.

Am I missing something here? I don't see any mention of the Protectors' genders, aside from Nilkuu

Since when has BIONICLE had superb writing? Farshtey's was perfectly good, in my opinion, but not top-tier, by any means. Hapka's was decent, if memory serves, but a bit basic. Heck, the best writing BIONICLE has had may well the dialogue of MNOG, which was rather charming, but constrained by being in a game. Perhaps Windham's could be something special, but his work here screams "Kids' book!" so much that it's hard to tell.

Admittedly I jumped the gun as far as Protector genders. I took for granted that LEGO would not be progressive enough to make any Protector other than the Water one female. But I was wrong! Someone got an excerpt from the book that identifies Korgot as a woman.

I was absolutely referring to MNOG when I brought up good writing. I honestly didn't find the game setting to be a restriction, to the contrary it allowed the writing to flourish as something unique without the constraints of any specific media form. If you get familiar with it you start to see that there is a lot going on with it, its really fun for me to go back every once and a while and see the text in some new light. But that's just me.

And they are all confirmed men because lol women.

Am I missing something here? I don't see any mention of the Protectors' genders, aside from Nilkuu.

Went baack to make sure this was true...

"Kivoda, Protector of Water, wore a blue mask, and had two water-propulsion turbines secured to his back."

post-24099-well-there-it-is-gif-Imgur-Tu

I'm still leaning on the possibility this was a typo, and will be rectified in the final release of the book. Then again...

Admittedly I jumped the gun as far as Protector genders. I took for granted that LEGO would not be progressive enough to make any Protector other than the Water one female. But I was wrong! Someone got an excerpt from the book that identifies Korgot as a woman.

I remember reading a well-written fanfic on BZPower that had the Protector of Ice--I mean, Izotor as a female. But the Protector of Earth??? This will be good.

Also, Bingzak is a curious name. I'm not sure whether to like it or not. Then again, he's assumed to be a minor character so far (UNLESS WE GET A CHRONICLER IN BINGZAK. FINGERS CROSSED), and with that his name might have been an afterthought.

Edited by McStudz

People are claiming Bingzak isn't in the later chapters so he's probably a minor character.

Although if G2 does a similar Toa of Light thing, I would love a Toa named Bingzak.

Edit:  First Bingzak moc I've seen (with bad grammar, of course.)
9c1.png

Edited by IncogM
  • Like 3

The best thing about the video is the still image used at the beginning and end. It's a lot more dynamic and detailed that the actual cartoons, and really demonstrates what the production team would be capable of if they ramped up in scale/budget. Really looking forward to seeing the stills for the other Skulls, and also very sad now that the Toa won't get complimentary images of their own.

• 2 weeks later...

The Toa are starting to actually bounce off of each other as characters and it's really fun. They may have 'learned' they need to work together fighting the Lord of Skull Spiders, but here's Lewa flying off to do whatever he wants, Kopaka and Tahu butting heads over who should be leader, Pohatu just being this silent guy standing nearby except for when he feels like contributing, and Gali sitting up on her High Horse and FROWNING DISAPPROVINGLY whenever someone messes up. Onua's cool though, he's just a little too strong for his own good.

The Toa haven't seen this much characterization since Hapka was replaced by Farshtey. It's still a bit one-note at this point, no doubt about it, but how much can you really do when you are juggling 6 characters in 1:30 videos?

I finally watched some of the videos. 

I already thought it was kind of weird to change Lewa's element to jungle, but here he is in videos flying around like he's got air power.  Seems odd they'd change the name of his element, but not actually change how it works.

Edited by IncogM

Quisoves Potoo

The Toa haven't seen this much characterization since Hapka was replaced by Farshtey. It's still a bit one-note at this point, no doubt about it, but how much can you really do when you are juggling 6 characters in 1:30 videos?

I get that you're no fan of Farshtey, but surely that's a bit of a stretch? If you'd said that the Toa hadn't been this fun since Hapka was replaced, I could see that. But to claim that these, by your own admission, one-note characters are better characterized than the Metru or the Mahri, with their history and their relateable doubts and motivations, strikes me as gratuitous dissing. Perhaps you thought that the Toa under Greg were too angsty, or too gritty, or some such thing. Fair enough. But they were multi-faceted, even if you didn't like their facets. The current Toa are enjoyably silly, but they're ciphers, thus far. Tahu acts like an enthusiastic idiot because that's all he is. Kopaka is simply aloof and arrogant. Onua's sole trait is that he's an easy-going peace-maker. Etc. Obviously, they'll get more development, if nothing else in the books.

I already thought it was kind of weird to change Lewa's element to jungle, but here he is in videos flying around like he's got air power.  Seems odd they'd change the name of his element, but not actually change how it works.

LEGO compromised by giving him control over both air and plantlife. Episode 11, briefly released in Russian, but since taken down, depicts him using his power to clear vines. His bio on BIONICLE.com describes him as "commun[ing] with plants and the wind."

So yeah, everyone's favorite mind-control victim is now insanely overpowered.

I get that you're no fan of Farshtey, but surely that's a bit of a stretch? If you'd said that the Toa hadn't been this fun since Hapka was replaced, I could see that. But to claim that these, by your own admission, one-note characters are better characterized than the Metru or the Mahri, with their history and their relateable doubts and motivations, strikes me as gratuitous dissing. Perhaps you thought that the Toa under Greg were too angsty, or too gritty, or some such thing. Fair enough. But they were multi-faceted, even if you didn't like their facets. The current Toa are enjoyably silly, but they're ciphers, thus far. Tahu acts like an enthusiastic idiot because that's all he is. Kopaka is simply aloof and arrogant. Onua's sole trait is that he's an easy-going peace-maker. Etc. Obviously, they'll get more development, if nothing else in the books.

Sorry, should have been more clear: I was talking specifically about the original Toa, not the other teams Greg handled. I'm totally willing to admit that there were some good character arcs Greg went through with the Metru. I don't really feel that the Mahri were as strongly characterized but I respect that you see them differently.

Edited by Pereki
  • Like 1

meanwhile...

I also bought Pohatu for a tenner the other day, and I have come to the logical conclusion that he is literally an Australian Batman.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.