BIONICLE RETURNING 2015

jedi299

So Christian Faber just uploaded the greatest video in the history of the universe (see here) and someone noticed this

tumblr_nn9d36dzEO1r70vtco1_250.jpg

tumblr_nn9d36dzEO1r70vtco2_100.jpg

Whoever is doing this: I love you

Holy SNOT batman. That's amazing. I wanna build those concept models now. Looks like a couple actually made it to being final sets (the giant Rahi... things)

I wonder how BZPower is reacting to that video?

I don't know what the second image is, though. Is that from one of the 2015 animations?

Holy SNOT batman. That's amazing. I wanna build those concept models now. Looks like a couple actually made it to being final sets (the giant Rahi... things)

I wonder how BZPower is reacting to that video?

I don't know what the second image is, though. Is that from one of the 2015 animations?

​Yeah, it's Lewa with his mask off (as he switches from standard to golden). They really seem to have had a ton of fun taking cues from pre-BIONICLE stuff developing this reboot, and it's simply fantastic.

I honestly wish BoneHeads could've somehow seen the light of day as a theme independent from BIONICLE. The emphasized tribal aesthetic is just so delightfully wacky. These guys have tiki faces and feathers and one even has a minifig skull adorning his staff. And they're robots. I just love how out there it is so much.

Thanks for sharing that Pereki, those models look incredible. The way that one of the Rahi's jaws snaps open and shut in one movement is great, and that final walking dude was awesome to behold too.

Thanks for sharing that Pereki, those models look incredible. The way that one of the Rahi's jaws snaps open and shut in one movement is great, and that final walking dude was awesome to behold too.

​That function (and basic model) was preserved in set 8538.

Now that all the episodes for 1HY2015 are out, I've compiled all nine episodes into a single video, cutting out all of the unnecessary repetition. Came out to about twelve and a half minutes. I did the best I could with the audio transitions, but it ends up a tad awkward in places - there was really only so much I could do. In any case, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAWwYkj3Q3g&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Quisoves Potoo

It's amazing how a color-change makes a striking mask all the more striking.

I am a sad collector. C'est la vie.

​Fear not, there's a good chance that, if the trans-clear Hau, or the Comic-Con Superman, Bard, or Azog figures are anything to go by, the most exclusive thing is the packaging. In fact, isn't one of the upcoming books coming with a special mask? This could well be it.

Fear not, there's a good chance that, if the trans-clear Hau, or the Comic-Con Superman, Bard, or Azog figures are anything to go by, the most exclusive thing is the packaging. In fact, isn't one of the upcoming books coming with a special mask? This could well be it.

​The book coming with a mask is the Ameet activity book. It certainly could have an exclusive mask in it, but I'm not counting on it - all of Ameet's previous LEGO stuff has come with free minifigs, but they are not exclusive ones.

It is certainly possible that the mask will be distributed elsewhere, though - my bets are on SDCC. And even if not, well, it's still pretty awesome that this thing exists.

Man, I wish the new Kopaka was in like. Any store. I've got all the others right now. Except quiet and white.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.amazon.com/Chapter-Book-LEGO-Bionicle/dp/0545905907/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432585243&sr=1-1&keywords=bionicle

Book 2 is already on it's way! January 5 for release, so if the pattern keeps up we're looking at two books a year. The big question is, though, does this one cover summer 2015 stuff, or winter 2016?

Oh, and the graphic novel is coming in hardback for like, 3 dollars more. Yay.

Edited by Pereki
  • Like 2

Quisoves Potoo

Book 2 is already on it's way! January 5 for release, so if the pattern keeps up we're looking at two books a year. The big question is, though, does this one cover summer 2015 stuff, or winter 2016?

Wasn't Inferno (Farshtey's, not Alighieri's) published in January of '07?

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this thread's a good place to ask...How are the new sets, anyway? Is it sorta similar to the older ones, with some solid pieces but also lots of fun gears to pop in the torso? I've not had a chance to pick any up or check them out since...Er, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, some of these sets are out there already, yeah?

Quisoves Potoo

Hope this thread's a good place to ask...How are the new sets, anyway? Is it sorta similar to the older ones, with some solid pieces but also lots of fun gears to pop in the torso? I've not had a chance to pick any up or check them out since...Er, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, some of these sets are out there already, yeah?

​They're very charming sets. Quite remarkable. They're most definitely BIONICLE, whilst using CCBS. They really show what you can do with the system, in a way that many of the past four years' constraction sets haven't. And yes, the Toa have gear functions. Additionally, the Lord of the Skull Spiders has a rubber-band-function.

They've been out for half a year now, so you should be able to find them quite easily. I recommend making Onua, Gali, Protector of Stone, and Protector of Earth your first purchase.

Thanks Quisoves! If I may, what's CCBS stand for? Also, next time I'm out and about in a store with these, I'll definitely give them a look...Maybe even pick one up. =)

Quisoves Potoo

Thanks Quisoves! If I may, what's CCBS stand for? Also, next time I'm out and about in a store with these, I'll definitely give them a look...Maybe even pick one up. =)

​Glad to be of service!

CCBS stands for "Character and Creature Building System." It's an attempt at a constraction system more akin to LEGO System, by virtue of less stylized, less specialized base pieces. It's main distinguishing function is the use of ball-joints/sockets to attach armor. It's been in use since Hero Factory 2.0.

Quisoves put it quite nicely, there's not much for me to add. I will say that the new BIONICLEs are also much bigger and, while they may not be as obviously customisable as the original BIONICLEs, there's definitely room for experimentation. Although maybe I'm wrong there, the new figures use these pin hole connectors which are alien to me.

So I found some news... on the LEGO Message Boards.

Mostly the first post is just old news, but the final part ("Last bit of info is that the Graphic Novel 1 has a secret look at the world of Bionicle in Okoto Protectors Guide. So it looks like a telling of things through the elders. ") came out of nowhere. So I checked back on the Amazon page for the book and, sure enough, we have a better description.

On the mythical island of Okoto, the forces of darkness are on the move. To defeat evil, the island Protectors call on the help of six elemental heroes known as the To a. Join Tahu, Kopaka, Onua, Gali, Lewa, Pohatu, and Ekimu as they discover their powers and gather together to fight the hordes of Skull Spiders and the oncoming darkness.

Also includes a never-before-seen look into the secret world of Bionicle in THE OKTO PROTECTORS GUIDE.

The first in an epic graphic novel series of new stories and action-packed adventures following the heroes of Okoto. Features exclusive content that provides maps, myths, and more! ©2015 The LEGO Group

I know we already knew a second one is already on its way, but all the same it is good to know that they are already greenlighting sequel books - that says good things about whatever sales data they've got back on the line so far.

I like the sound of maps, myths and more.

Edited by Pereki
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some potential leaks to munch on:

• Makuta is back as a shadowy ghost
  • Makuta has amassed a large amount of masks in his search for the Mask Of Creation and the Mask Of Ultimate Power
  • Part of the reason for this is that he wants to gain a new form
  • Makuta get the Mask Of Control before the Toa can
  • Villain wave opens 2016 with new Toa in the second half
  • Ekimu uses the Mask Of Creation to upgrade himself and the Toa, knowing they have to stop his brother getting anymore masks

70890 Ghost Crawler

70891 Ghost Striker

70892 Ghost Crusher

70893 Ghost Sleeper

70894 Ghost King

70895 Mask Hunter

I dunno, this feels legit to me. It makes a lot of sense with what we know so far - Makuta just vanishes after the battle, unlike Ekimu, so being trapped in a ghost world of some sort definitely feels like an route they could have taken as to his fate. He needs a mask (or masks, my guess is the three primary ones) to reanimate himself, so then he uses his ghost powers to start reanimating boneheads to grab masks en masse for him. When that fails, he pulls out the big guns and summons his ghosty friends to destroy the Toa and claim the mask of Control so he stands a chance against his revived brother and his mask of Creation. 

If it is legit, Mask Hunter is 100% Makuta.

e: wait no thats dumb, it'd have to be Ekimu in his new form (made to find masks before Makuta vs. making masks as he originally did), since that's a consistent part of the leaks. Plus that means Makuta doesn't get needlessly switched out from "Mask Hoarder"

IMPORTANT EDIT: Calling the 3-year arc's endgame right now: Doo Head face shape of the Ancient City means there is a giant robot under it. Since Makuta is a ghost he is going to assume control of the body. This year he's trying to get grinder to boot up the robot via Mask of Creation in the forge, so he can assume control. if they continue doing a new mask every year, then in year 3 he will succeed using the mask of ultimate power somehow.

Edited by Pereki

So, let me get this straight...

Year one gave us skulls and skeletons (2spooky), year two could bring us ghosts, and maybe--hear me out now...

BIONICLE's endgame for their first major arc (hopefully not the only arc) could be the Toa fighting their way through Hell itself, much like Dante's Inferno or something like that. With a Chevy Impala. And Kansas' "Carry On Wayward Son" as the year's song (Like 2006's "Move Along")!

Actually, that's a stupid idea. No more Supernatural for me.

Back on topic, having Makuta be a "ghost" could be a simpler way of writing Antidermis into the reboot. Although I would rather this reboot stray further away from the main plot points of the original (The island actually being the head of a giant robot, for example). Maybe just try to keep the mysticalness of the first three years of BIONICLE. Explore a more natural, tribal world instead of a rehashed Matoran Universe.

But hey, I'm enjoying the ride so far for BIONICLE G2. I just hope they flesh out the story a bit more with these books coming out later this year.

ac7.gif
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.