BIONICLE RETURNING 2015

jedi299

Yeah. The solution was simple, just flip the gearbox and chestplate while leaving the framework upright. Unfortunately the head kinda sits awkwardly above the torso and doesn't look right. It works, but it's not ideal. The best compromise I could come up with was flipping only the gearbox, so that you could swing the leg, while leaving everything else intact, then rebuilding the hip joints to put the legs closer together. Unfortunately, moving the legs together like that sacrifices a lot of articulation when restricted to only using parts from the set.

EDIT: Pics

4CL7rvV.jpg

Gearbox and chestplate flipped

4RHYTK7.jpg

Gearbox flipped, chestplate upright

I substituted parts from my collection for the hip joints.

• Like 2

Honestly I kinda still like the old one better.

I won't argue that. On a technical level, I have to concede that the new models are far superior. But as far as aesthetic and charm, the originals win out easily.

I mean, the new sets are good, and they have a unique design language that I appreciate. But the language that the 2001 models follow feels more unique and definitive. The new sets are streamlined action figures. The originals are mechanical and alien, defying human proportions and establishing themselves as their own thing. I'm probably just waxing nostalgic, but so it goes.

I really really love what they are doing with Pohatu. The original Pohatu is just this super friendly, absolutely genuine guy. He's clumsy as heck but there isn't a person out there that has better intentions then him. He is powerful enough to bring down a massive rock formation with a single kick, and goofy enough to moonwalk in celebration.

And the new guys looked at this, and they said, "yeah, but what if we made him a badass?"

It's the most unintuitive thing to do, and that's why I love it so much. Here we have our dear Pohatu, befriender of the BIONICLE Batman and patron Toa of sports, striding straight-faced and unflinching through a blazing desert as the Protector of Stone struggles behind him. He speaks in the most fake of grizzly Australian accents, becomes a tornado of energy at the tightening of a fist, throws boomerangs with dead accuracy, and shows only single-minded determination as an emotion.

Somehow, it is the most absurd way one could skew the original character that comes across as the product of the most love and care from the creators. They know this isn't the original Pohatu, and they are saying "Hey, we remember Pohatu. Here's something new."

lol username

I won't argue that. On a technical level, I have to concede that the new models are far superior. But as far as aesthetic and charm, the originals win out easily.

I mean, the new sets are good, and they have a unique design language that I appreciate. But the language that the 2001 models follow feels more unique and definitive. The new sets are streamlined action figures. The originals are mechanical and alien, defying human proportions and establishing themselves as their own thing. I'm probably just waxing nostalgic, but so it goes.

Meanwhile I'm over here honestly and completely preferring the aesthetics of Slizers over any Bionicle sets for those reasons. That's not for nostalgia reasons either; I only had one or two of the Toa Mata and no Slizers at all. My Bionicle-related nostalgia is with the Toa Nuva and such, even though I think those were blatantly ugly (especially the masks).

I couldn't find a good gif of a mob with pitchforks.

Meanwhile I'm over here honestly and completely preferring the aesthetics of Slizers over any Bionicle sets for those reasons. That's not for nostalgia reasons either; I only had one or two of the Toa Mata and no Slizers at all. My Bionicle-related nostalgia is with the Toa Nuva and such, even though I think those were blatantly ugly (especially the masks).

I couldn't find a good gif of a mob with pitchforks.

The Slizers are really great. In fact, the whole angle that Technic went for in the late 90s was just super cool. It had this weird, cyber-techno vibe that was extremely alien. There's the Slizers with their finely detailed, unhuman faces and wireframe-like mechanical limbs arranged in unconventional ways, Cyber Slam with its sci-fi robot mechs that have giant punching arms, Cyber Master had an especially futuristic feeling with its robotics and the included software. Even the standard Technic sets of the time used the weird ridged panels that look like some bizarre gun and were set in a surreal, wholly mechanical world on the box art.

In many ways, that atmosphere defined BIONICLE initially. Look at the concepts for Boneheads of Voodoo Island and its difficult not to be overwhelmed with how neatly it fits into the Technic world the Slizers were a part of. BIONICLE grew to be independent, but that world was still very much a direct parent of it, along with the Polynesian influences that were initially so critical to the theme.

• Like 2

On an unrelated note, I noticed that the new BIONICLEs use new pin connections in addition to the old axles and more recent ball joints. Does anyone know if these pins will become more widespread in LEGO Technic, or is it just BIONICLE?

ProfessorBrickkeeper

*snip* Gearbox flipped, chestplate uprightI substituted parts from my collection for the hip joints.

It's nice to see someone else has been toying around with some of construction combinations of the sets in addition to myself. I actually did something quite similar for re-engineering Gali over the weekend, finding that flipping around the upper portion of the chest plate help to make her look more feminine in form, and that flipping the position of the gearbox made more sense, seeing as she has fins on her feet.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that the new BIONICLEs use new pin connections in addition to the old axles and more recent ball joints. Does anyone know if these pins will become more widespread in LEGO Technic, or is it just BIONICLE?

According to LEGO Customer Service Inventories via Bricket, they are all already showing up in a variety of regular Technic sets.

In fact, the whole angle that Technic went for in the late 90s was just super cool. It had this weird, cyber-techno vibe that was extremely alien. There's the Slizers with their finely detailed, unhuman faces and wireframe-like mechanical limbs arranged in unconventional ways, Cyber Slam with its sci-fi robot mechs that have giant punching arms, Cyber Master had an especially futuristic feeling with its robotics and the included software. Even the standard Technic sets of the time used the weird ridged panels that look like some bizarre gun and were set in a surreal, wholly mechanical world on the box art.

I love every single thing you just said, but how could you have forgotten Robo Riders?

067.jpg

That theme suffers from major middle-child syndrome. Sandwiched right between Slizer and Bionicle, and overshadowed by both of them.

That theme suffers from major middle-child syndrome.

well, in my eyes it suffers from Not Enough Sets disorder, which happens when a theme gets only seven sets l405G.jpg

The Roboriders aren't even vaguely shaped like any form of animal, which is part of the reason they're forgotten. Slizers and Bionicle were both shaped, so to speak (Bionicle - Humans and animals, especially the first wave, Slivers is also similarly "shaped'), and they did have more than seven sets. l405G.jpg Look at Dust in your image: only a head, and it looks rather ugly and is totally not recognisable of anything. To the right is Power, which is only marginally better.

but how could you have forgotten Robo Riders?

Oh, with ease. l405G.jpg

I've been chatting to Ace about the effectiveness of the Protector's blasters, and I'd like some other opinions: do they actually work *COUGHSquidLaunchersHACKCOUGH* and if they do, how far do they fire? *COUGHFlickMissilesHACK* Furthermore, how easy is it to mount them to something that isn't the original set design? *COUGHCOUGHVoloSphereLaunchersCOUGHCOUGH*

But they haven't come out in NZ yet, so I've got a good few months (they probably only will come out in our NZ summer: a.k.a next December -.-) to decide whether to get them or not.

Does anybody else think the title of this topic needs to be changed? l405G.jpg The distance we've gone off the OP is almost stellar. l405G.jpg

ProfessorBrickkeeper

I've been chatting to Ace about the effectiveness of the Protector's blasters, and I'd like some other opinions: do they actually work *COUGHSquidLaunchersHACKCOUGH* and if they do, how far do they fire? *COUGHFlickMissilesHACK* Furthermore, how easy is it to mount them to something that isn't the original set design? *COUGHCOUGHVoloSphereLaunchersCOUGHCOUGH*

They actually work incredibly well, and shoot incredibly far, which is surprising given Bionicle's general track record with blasters (2007 and the latter half of 2008). In fact, they shoot so far and so well, that I still haven't found one of the 1x1 round plates I shot. (They provide an ample amount of extra pieces for exactly that reason.) Regarding how they fit into the LEGO/Technic system, they each have two holes in the back in which you can fit a Technic peg, the only requirement being that if you want to still fire them, you must be able to fit a Technic rod in the back.

well, in my eyes it suffers from Not Enough Sets disorder, which happens when a theme gets only seven sets

Well, yeah, that definitely contributed to the forgetableness. I really wish they had continued the theme a bit longer, it was dropped almost as soon as they got it out the door.

The Roboriders aren't even vaguely shaped like any form of animal, which is part of the reason they're forgotten.

They're shaped like motorcycles. Also, what? Since when do sets have to be shaped like humans or animals? There are plenty of sets shaped like vaguely-defined robots or vehicles, some even stranger than these. Besides, the whole discussion was about the alien cyberpunk vibe that the 90s technic sets have, and these fit into that perfectly.

Look at Dust in your image: only a head, and it looks rather ugly and is totally not recognisable of anything. To the right is Power, which is only marginally better.

I really want to argue about how these sets are awesome and you're wrong for not liking them but you know what, everyone's entitled to their opinion and if they're not appealing to you that's fine. Besides, this is a Bionicle thread and I don't want to get further off topic.
  • Like 1

RoboRiders were short lived because they were quite literally filler - Boneheads was taking longer in development than expected, and LEGO needed to get something out the door for the summer 2000 wave.

On top of that, the fact that they were motorcycles and not humanoids did, apparently, have an effect on sales. According to LEGO kids had a more difficult time relating to bike-robot-people than just regular robot-people.

I think that the RoboRiders are rad, but they had a lot of forces working against them from the outset, so it isn't terribly surprising that they are sort of swept under the rug.

Oh yeah, something I don't think has been mentioned in this topic (at least I haven't read it): what are the cogs in the backs of the new Toa for? I recently bought Lewa, who has these lovely cogs which turn when you rotate a spoked wheel at the back, but much to my dismay they don't serve any purpose. Is it just some decoration to acknowledge the original Toa? I can't find anything from a quick Google search.

They're supposed to swing the arm back and forth, just like the originals. At least they do on Pohatu, and I assumed the do rest as well.

Are you sure you built it correctly? The way these sets are constructed, there are two sets of shoulder joints, one of which goes unused. I'm thinking you probably attached the arms in the wrong place.

Do you mean the grey gears, Jimbob? The one that isn't directly attached to the wheel system is mounted on a blue friction pin, and as a result it adds friction to the entire system - that way, the set can have its arms posed however you wish without having them flop down due to gravity.

Oh I see now! I didn't realise that the black ball on the cogs is where you can also attach the arms, I just put them directly on the body.

Yay, thank you both! :D

In other news, I continue to tinker with my Pohatu set to try and recreate the flipped torso of the original.

Latest attempt:

K6UmF4J.jpg

This endeavor has made me realise that this set doesn't have that many brown pieces in it. I had to leave a couple out because I couldn't fit them anywhere that looked good, and as a result of using the limb armor to create a pseudo-torso, there's a lot of exposed framework. Though at this point the model is so far removed from the primary set that I might as well substitute armor parts from a different set and call it an original character.

• Like 3

I got the latest Club magazine issue today. I don't know why they still send me copies as I haven't renewed my subscription for a couple of years... Anyway, scans of lots of BIONICLE goodies can be found here.

I noticed however that they don't have the mini 'Get the Mask' comic that my issue came with, and I couldn't find it anywhere else, so I've uploaded it for those of you without a Club Magazine subscription.

1 Front Cover

2 Tahu

3 Kopaka

4 Pohatu

5 Gali

6 Onua

7 Lewa - I noticed he has a different mask design and the protector's weapon is a bow, unlike the final releases?

8 Back Cover

They're individually linked as I scanned them in at 600dpi, so they're pretty big...

Also check out this guy who's made a Nui Rama using new BIONICLE parts. The

Thanks, Jimbob! You're in the UK, right? It might be that the comic is exclusive to your country. The LEGO Magazines still have different content depending on region sometimes.

I'm not a big fan of the art style in the comics, it's too great of a departure from the established style they've been following. The grittiness and hyper-detail is weird, it kinda drifts into uncanny valley for me.

EDIT: And there's a sculpture of a human head in Gali's comic. uh

Thanks, Jimbob! You're in the UK, right? It might be that the comic is exclusive to your country. The LEGO Magazines still have different content depending on region sometimes.

I'm not a big fan of the art style in the comics, it's too great of a departure from the established style they've been following. The grittiness and hyper-detail and is weird, it kinda drifts into uncanny valley for me.

No problem. :) Yes, I'm in the UK, I did wonder why the BMP images I linked in my post had pages that I didn't so I guess that explains it. Heh, I guess I should stay subscribed to the magazine so I can continue posting these.

Yeah I don't know about the art. I like it myself, but then I think about the original BIONICLE comics and nostalgia tells me they're far superior.

EDIT: And there's a sculpture of a human head in Gali's comic. uh

I know, it's pretty weird. I wasn't sure if it meant something or the artist just had a reference image they drew from.

Quisoves Potoo

Thanks for sharing these, JJ!

Objectively, I like the style, though I can't say I prefer it to the primary one. It's striking, but it doesn't feel particularly like BIONICLE.

The stylistic dissonance between this and everything else also bothers me. LEGO has gone to the trouble of crafting a visual style that suits both the sets and the paradoxically mythic vibe inherent in BIONICLE. Here we are presented with something that feels based off the sets alone, and only loosely. If it were fan-art (it resembles it) I wouldn't mind it a bit. But seeing as it's official, it slightly perturbs me. It's a like doing a promotional poster for the Dark Crystal in the style of Middle-Earth.

• Like 2

the protector's weapon is a bow, unlike the final release

But the protector's weapon is a bow in the final release, or at least is made to look like one...

ProfessorBrickkeeper

I got around to trying my hand at a more classic Pohatu, and ended up with the below result. It includes claw-like hands, a kicking leg function, and a more accurate core torso. It combines Pohatu and the Protector of Stone sets. Instructions coming soon. ;)

16268600965_90e2b770d8_o_d.jpg

Additional Images:

15648887873_b4fe4fdb36_b_d.jpg

16082917577_b8d15f00cb_b_d.jpg

16242861476_55b504ebb4_b_d.jpg

Okay, okay; one thing at a time:

Jimbob's scans of the UK Bionicle booklet is... interesting, to say the least. The Toa look a lot more like their 2001 counterparts in terms of body structure and color scheme. For the first couple of panels they TRIED to make it look like the source material, but by Lewa they weren't even trying. The comics look like one part concept art (especially the Skull Spiders), one part final product, and one part homage to G1 Transformers. But the art style looks very vintage, adding to the G1 Transformers vibe.

As for everyone trying their hand at making Pohatu look more like his original counterpart, I must say that I'm loving Brickkeeper's the most. Evokes the original Pohatu perfectly. Though I will have to wonder if this makes him even SHORTER than he already was compared to the rest of the Toa.

I love you and I hate you brickkeeper. That is BEAUTIFUL.

As for everyone trying their hand at making Pohatu look more like his original counterpart, I must say that I'm loving Brickkeeper's the most.

It's not exactly a fair comparison seeing as I was restricted to only using Pohatu's parts while he combined another set. :P

But I agree, that blows mine out of the water.

It's looking a lot like the comic Jimbob scanned was concept work that some way or another made it to publication. Check this out:

15650415103_e30843c1cb.jpg

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.