Use Any Track as the Test Track

le717

This tutorial assumes you already know how to >access and use modded versions of the LEGO Racers game files and have downloaded WillKirkby's >LR1 Binary File Editor.

As the title suggests, it is possible to use any of the game's existing tracks as the Test track. Here's how to do that. Note: All line numbers refer are based on a clean, unmodded file.

• Load the Binary File Editor and open MENUDATALEGORACE.RCB
  • Scroll all the way to the bottom of the file or press Ctrl + F and search for the word "test" (with or without quotes, both will work). You should end up at line 426. The Test track's location and strings are located in this small structure.
    k_27    // Track
    "test"
    {
        k_2B    // Name Index (/MENUDATA/<lang>/CIRCUIT.SRF)
        k_29    // Folder (/GAMEDATA/<this>/)
        "test"
    }
  • As can been seen from the comments the tool adds, the string "test" (line 447) below the k_29 keyword (line 446) controls from what folder the Test track files should be loaded from. If we were to take a quick peek at the GAMEDATA folder, we would find there is a folder that has the same name.

any-test-track-gamedata-folders.png
  • To use any of the available tracks as the Test track, we simply need to change the string to be the same as any of the track folder names. If wanted to practice on Rocket Racer Run for example, the same code would now read as so:
    k_27    // Track
    "test"
    {
        k_2B    // Name Index (/MENUDATA/<lang>/CIRCUIT.SRF)
        k_29    // Folder (/GAMEDATA/<this>/)
        "racec3r0"
    }
    You can also enter "RACEC3R0" (matching the case of the folder). I have tested both and either work. It comes down to personal preference, but I lowercased the name for consistency with the rest of the file. Be sure the folder name is surrounded in a single pair of double quotation marks! Single quotation marks will crash the Binary Editor, multiple pairs will not work at all, and omitting them all together will halt LEGO Racers with an error message.
  • Save the file and load the game. If your edit went well, you should now be able to practice on your favorite "Test" track! :D

Demonstration video coming soon!

• Like 5

Brickulator

Yeah this is very helpful when experimenting with the kind of stuff I was doing back when I wasn't too lazy to mod the game. Obviously it's easier to just copy/rename the track folders but I guess this method is a good one to share because it will help people understand the binary files. Good stuff ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.