LXF to OBJ converter

bartvbl

lol username

Finally, it's out in the wild. Good work. :)

Oh - for the inevitable LU fan game devs who'll try to just plop stuff into Unity...

wireframe.png

a_bit_better.png

Have fun with that.

(That's a WIP version of one of Brigs's models)

• 2 weeks later...
JrMasterModelBuilder

Well, I've been trying to use this thing, but no luck so far. I drag a file over the window, but it doesn't accept the file. The background turns red, I let go, and no conversion. I tried with both a LXF and a LXFML file. On this same note, any chance of a command-line usage? It would be cool to be able to batch convert programatically.

Also, I'm curious why it needs the Assets.lif file? Isn't the db.lif that LDD downloads to the Application Data folder more up-to-date? Or am I missing something?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been trying to use this thing, but no luck so far. I drag a file over the window, but it doesn't accept the file. The background turns red, I let go, and no conversion. I tried with both a LXF and a LXFML file. On this same note, any chance of a command-line usage? It would be cool to be able to batch convert programatically.

Also, I'm curious why it needs the Assets.lif file? Isn't the db.lif that LDD downloads to the Application Data folder more up-to-date? Or am I missing something?

That's strange.. I tried running the thing on my laptop and it spew out a parsing exception, although it accepted the file. It bases the accept/deny on the extension of the file name. If the extension is .lxf or .lxfml it will accept it as a valid file.

Command line usage: noted. Will take a look when I return home next week.

Batch convert: ditto

I thought the Assets.lif would be the most practical for people that want to use the converter. If they have to extract db.lif first (even though that's the only thing it uses), they need to run the extractor. That's an extra step over copying the file once. In any case, IIRC ~90% of Assets.lif is db.lif, so there's not that much of a space savings there. I suppose it is possible to check if either one is present, though.

It's also possible to drop the jar in the LDD directory for auto-updates of the lif file :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey bartvbl. Thanks!

I have 1 question. I get this error:

Failed to convert LXFML file: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Brick 15458 appears to be missing in Assets.lif

I have no missing bricks when I open the .lxf in LDD.

Here's an example of a file that's giving me this issue: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nachapon/94UCSSSD/28_76023_the_tumbler_bbqqq.lxf

Can you fix this?

Hey bartvbl. Thanks!

Failed to convert LXFML file: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Brick 15458 appears to be missing in Assets.lif

Here's an example of a file that's giving me this issue: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nachapon/94UCSSSD/28_76023_the_tumbler_bbqqq.lxf

Can you fix this?

LDD keeps two versions of its LIF files around. One is located in Program Files (on windows), and the other in AppData (%APPDATA%LEGO CompanyLEGO Digital Designerdb.lif).

The one in program files contains all files the program needs, plus an initial version of the brick database.

The one in appdata contains all bricks that were added with updates after you installed the program. This is the LIF file you should be using for the conversion :)

There are also some bricks called "assemblies" that consist of a few smaller bricks. The converter *might* not support these.

Hey bartvbl. Thanks!

Can you fix this?

LDD keeps two versions of its LIF files around. One is located in Program Files (on windows), and the other in AppData (%APPDATA%LEGO CompanyLEGO Digital Designerdb.lif).

The one in program files contains all files the program needs, plus an initial version of the brick database.

The one in appdata contains all bricks that were added with updates after you installed the program. This is the LIF file you should be using for the conversion :)

There are also some bricks called "assemblies" that consist of a few smaller bricks. The converter *might* not support these.

Thank you!!!

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm leaving on vacation in a couple of days from now, but before I go I'd like to give you an LDD tool that's actually useful.

It converts LXF/LXFML models to OBJ.

Mostly.

Grab a build here:

https://github.com/bartvbl/LDDModelConverter/releases

Hi, thanks for your work! However, i wanted to try it but the link doesn't work :( (nor the 0.2)

Could you fix this :) ?

Hi, thanks for your work! However, i wanted to try it but the link doesn't work :( (nor the 0.2)

Could you fix this :) ?

I deleted the project. I'm sorry, but it's no longer available.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.