Kevin Hinkle Looking for Fan Input on Future LEGO Games

emily

Suggestions posted in this BZP topic will be passed along and considered for the 2016 lineup of games.

Seems like a good opportunity to make it known to TT that something a little more innovative would be appreciated, even if the likelihood that anything will come of it is probably rather small.

• Like 2

Why does it have to be BZPower? I'm not going to get an account just to post one long answer that will probably be ignored forever more.

Fluffy Cupcake

Thanks for the heads up Tazzak. Who knows, if a great majority wants innovative, it may happen. After reading it looks the majority is tired of licensed games anyway, yaaaay!

Why does it have to be BZPower?

Just get someone on RRU to post there for you, with them saying it was from you. I've posted for someone on RRU before on another site with no problem. :thumbsup:

[Reads this JUST after I posted the same thing in LEGO News]

facedesk_by_lolzee_wolfette-d5cu6ya.png

Yeah, okay. I'll just follow this thread and post whatever people say here to BZP.

Quisoves Potoo

Hmmm....  I'm going to have to give this some thought. One needs to be very strategic about this kind of thing.

If somebody could send this message, that would be fantastic:

Hey Kevin, thank you for asking this important question! I really appreciate LEGO asking for feedback from its community. One of the reasons this company is far better than many others.

The problems with LEGO games in this day and era are numerous. At the core, the games are little more than what I call "repetitive task syndrome", i.e., you repeat the same action over and over again with little to no motivation aside from trying to get to the end of the level or collect collectibles. It's a big problem in gaming, since we should be offering players an awesome experience that makes them feel fantastic and clever, but simply bashing up objects unfortunately doesn't really work.

As I'm sure you're aware, LEGO's real meaning is to "Play Well", and I believe that The LEGO Group needs to seriously focus on the message presented by it's games. The LEGO Movie Videogame was a massive failure because the gameplay completely went against the messages presented in the movie (I can link you to a discussion I made about this if you wish). This is a big problem with TT Games and the recent MMO; they don't represent LEGO in a positive light, and come off more as just simply "toys" than the highly complex, yet simplified construction elements that have inspired generations of children to be creative.

I honestly think that a LEGO game could score extremely high review marks if it was given the respect it deserves. What you guys need to focus on is building a game that respects and utilizes the message and value of LEGO. We understand that having LEGO elements is a very costly operation on the computer side. It's okay to take shortcuts there (simple 2D polys, locked cameras etc), but only if the gameplay can stand up. The third problem is that these games make the assumption that the player is an idiot. They constantly barf out advice and take away any of the challenge that is natural to the LEGO environment. Kids are not idiots. They are highly intelligent and creative puzzle solvers. You can see this demonstrated with your own product. That said, why does the game assume that they can barely hold the controller? I honestly think a good LEGO game needs to bring some level of challenge that's higher than "kill X guys" and "stand here and press button".

I think a LEGO game which encapsulates the values of LEGO, to be creative and to keep trying, is ultimately what will bring the most success to you as a brand and as a message. If you look at the original Legend of Zelda, Spelunky, Braid, Fez and many other bold titles which kids regularly play, get challenged by and have fun, I think you will notice certain elements that current LEGO games lack which can only serve to improve the final product. The key is not to make your games as an accessory toy, but to make them complimentary to the LEGO sets, and make kids want to take what they learned in the game into their real LEGO bricks. This doesn't mean making LDD: The Video Game, but to find gameplay which will have a similar effect.

Last Point: While IPs are fun to see as LEGO bricks, there comes a point where they appear to be formulaic and boring. I think LEGO needs to stick to its roots, stay with their original IPs such as Ninjago or Agents and to keep making games which are vastly different. As has been said, the classic LEGO games (Island etc) stand out because they had a lot of variety. The first LEGO Star Wars was okay, but it got repetitive quickly, despite the "additions" make to gameplay.

I know I haven't really given an example of a specific game I'd like, but I think that's important. TLG should discuss and come to their own conclusion, based on the points we as a community bring forward to you guys. Not a specific theme, but things we think a game should and shouldn't have.

I appreciate you reading through this,

McJobless

Fluffy Cupcake

I agree very much with what you said there McJobless, although I don't know what "IP" stands for.

What I do have say about what I'd like to see is:

I'd like to see more unique games like the classics, and I'm not just saying this because I grew up with them, but because they actually stood out from the other games LEGO developed at the time. It didn't feel like a car that kept being brought to the garage to get a new coat of paint with a few new extra additions just to always look brand new. Right now, with all the liscened games being made with TT Games and its unchanging engine, this is what it feels like, an old car ran past its time, it isn't all that cool as it use to be back when it was brand new.

I'd say more, but writing all that on a tablet with no USB support was tedious enough. If someone could post this for me that would be great.

I agree very much with what you said there McJobless, although I don't know what "IP" stands for.

"Intellectual Property"

Basically, think of IP as a franchise and everything it contains. Star Wars as an IP has movies, TV shows, comics, collectibles, LEGO sets etc etc. IP includes everything related to and directly using the trademark of somebody's idea.

"Intellectual Property"

Basically, think of IP as a franchise and everything it contains. Star Wars as an IP has movies, TV shows, comics, collectibles, LEGO sets etc etc. IP includes everything related to and directly using the trademark of somebody's idea.

No it means "Internet Protocol". (I'm joking)

You should have just linked all your blog posts :P

• 3 months later...

Ooh, I want something!

I want Bionicle: Legends of Mata Nui, completed and released the way it should have been in 2001.

But who are we kidding? Old LEGO computer gamers aren't the most well-known fanbase these days...

Could you guys perhaps read the OP, or any of the other posts in the topic besides your own? This topic just links to where suggestions were posted on BZPower. In July. You're months late and in the wrong place.

Also, LEGO Island 3 and LEGO Racers 3 exist. They were renamed to Island Xtreme Stunts and Drome Racers.

No need to repeat yourself. You said it before, and I already replied by saying that LEGO Island 3 exists - why rule it out because of a mere name change?

But as long as we're playing the repetition game, I will repeat that this topic's purpose is currently expired, and we'd appreciate it if it were not pointlessly bumped and derailed. Thank you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.