Missing pieces in LRRHQ?

Fush

Right, so, I don't know how many of you actually own the LRRHQ set, but if anyone does your input would be nice...

So recently I bought this lot from eBay. The listing says it's missing a single yellow hose but if you look at the image, it's also missing two of the long black tiles on the slider. I thought nothing of it at first.

Then I was talking to Sadie again yesterday and she linked me to this listing which she was interested in. I immediately noticed that it was missing the same long black tiles.

When I pointed this out, she said the HQ she had already bought was also missing those pieces... At this point I thought it had to be more than coincidence

I briefly looked over some other listings for the HQ... most of them had the parts in question but this one was also missing them.

It should be noted though that that last listing wasn't exactly put together 100% right, though. Also that the tiles my HQ are missing are 1x8, while the other two are missing 1x6s. Still...

This is all very strange to me. Is it possible that there was a mistake in the initial release? That these sets aren't "missing" the parts but in fact, never had them to start with?

I don't know. If anyone else had the HQ I'd like to know if yours were missing those parts too....

I don't own RR HQ, but this is rather confusing and intriguing to me. Comparing the images you linked to the instruction book and box, the builds seem to have the tiles placed incorrectly (sets are black on both sides, instructions/box have gray on the end), but that seems to be an error, as the actual page says the sides are fully black. Also, according to the out of box image and inventory on the wiki, those parts are included.

Truthfully, I do not think there would intentionally be missing/never included pieces. It could very well be that those parts were lost or reused in another build and not reaccounted for when it was rebuilt years later. I'm not saying there couldn't have been the possibility of such, but having multiples of two different bricks missing in a packaged set....

I just found these pictures on other actions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-ROCK-RAIDERS-HQ-4990-AND-4950-LOADER-DOZER-/191224079742?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2c85d7e57e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-set-4990-Rock-Raiders-HQ-1999-HTF-large-set-rare-teal-pieces-/281367489316?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item4182cf2b24

The pieces are present in those.

Comparing the images you linked to the instruction book and box, the builds seem to have the tiles placed incorrectly (sets are black on both sides, instructions/box have gray on the end), but that seems to be an error, as the actual page says the sides are fully black.

The tiles on the box are fully black, but they look grey-ish due to the lighting in the picture.

Truthfully, I do not think there would intentionally be missing/never included pieces. It could very well be that those parts were lost or reused in another build and not reaccounted for when it was rebuilt years later.

I don't think it was intentional, just a mistake in the distribution. Things like that happen, like for example some of the first shipments of the seventh Harry Potter book had half the pages in the book blank... I would normally assume that the pieces had been lost, but the fact that A: The lot I bought did not list the parts as missing despite listing another missing part and B: that multiple listings of the set had the same parts missing, tells me that there is probably more to it...

• 5 months later...

If it helps at all, I bought a LRR HQ off eBay too, and all the black tiles were present. Other parts were missing though, in fact the seller actually wrote in pen in the instruction manual on pages where they were missing. Ah well, it's just a toy. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.