The LEGO Battles Merge

lol username

lol username

Previously had this on a blog, from July of last year.

Anyway, a bit of background - in 2009, LEGO advertised three games on set boxes that were never heard of again:

p1050335_small.jpg

box_game_ad.jpg

lr2009vgsmall.png

While "LEGO Racers: The Video Game" is still a mystery (UPDATE: it's not any longer, see this topic), the other two aren't, thanks to this email I got:

Hi Jamie,

Sorry for the slow reply but we are very busy right now. Thanks for the kind words about our LEGO games. I am glad you like them. I will do my best to answer your question.

You are correct. Originally LEGO Battles was developed as three separate games: LEGO Space, LEGO Castle and LEGO Pirates. These titles were to be sold as individual DS games but allow you to connect any of the games together in multiplayer. You could trade units with your friends from the other two carts and win units by competing in multiplayer games against the other carts. Ultimately WB determined they wanted one bigger game instead of the separate games so we merged them into LEGO Battles. We lost a little bit merging into the single game as we used to have some microgames that allowed you to win a chance a units at the end of each game but ultimately I think LEGO Battles is a much bigger and stronger game.

We are currently working on LEGO Friends but unfortunately I cannot discuss any unannounced projects we may be working on. I agree that LEGO and RTS are a nice fit and I am glad to see we have a strong fan base out there!

Thanks

Christopher Mair

CEO/Creative Director

Hellbent Games Inc.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
Lind Whisperer

About the lego racers game i thought this interest you so lr may of  had some lu blood http://kotaku.com/5109714/lego-racers-return-in-2009-but-in-what-form

Hah, been a while since I've seen this (very confused) article. It's just... Wrong. Very wrong.

The Flash game being referred to at the beginning of the article is the LEGO Racers Challenge game. It was taken off of LEGO.com years ago, but you can read some articles on it here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/107643/QA_NetDevil_To_Launch_New_Web_Division_With_Lego_Racers.php

http://www.gamezone.com/news/netdevil_announces_new_web_games_division_along_with_lego_racers

It was an attempt at replacing the Drome Racers Challenge game, which was somehow very popular. And neither of them had anything to do with the 1999 LEGO Racers game.

And there's absolutely nothing to indicate that the "LEGO Racers: The Video Game" advertised on set boxes is related to any of that. As far as I can tell the author of that Kotaku article just pulled that out of their arse (or, more likely, they got their info from the LEGO Message Boards, where such misunderstandings were common - seriously, I wouldn't be surprised).

• 8 months later...
lol username

A while back I came across this:

This is from somebody did art stuff for LEGO Battles and the sequel LEGO Battles: Ninjago. About 22 seconds in you can see a clip of two knights fighting that doesn't seem to belong to either game - it's not Ninjago, but the art's definitely ahead of that in the original LEGO Battles. So I emailed him a while back and asked him about it.

Turns out it was actually an art test for a LEGO Battles 2 before it became mostly Ninjago themed. Also, the switch to the isometric perspective was part of the game even in those early LEGO Battles 2 days.

Also, LEGO Battles: Ninjago was going to have its cutscenes rendered in a cel shaded style (3D made to look 2D), and while it was cool, it was made to look more like the TV show for consistency.

He was also the resident LEGO expert in the dev team, and was glad we'd picked up on all the references to old LEGO stuff. I also showed him Aaronburner05's Gemma mod for LEGO Racers - he liked it, said he loved LEGO Racers.

One more thing - we've found more info on that 2009 LEGO Racers game mentioned in the OP since that post was written, you can read about that here if you haven't already: 

• lol username featured this topic
  • lol username unfeatured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.