How do I install this on Win7?

TheSmartOne

TheSmartOne

I have a copy of LEGO Chess (published by Encore) and cannot get it to install on Win7.

I set all application files on the disc to work in Win95 compatibility mode, but no dice.

Oooo, Chess. That is one game I need to start looking to buy so I can make an alternate installer. Unlike most of the other classic LEGO game installers, Chess does not have the 16-bit to 32-bit command "translator", meaning it is completely incompatible with 64-bit Windows (which in your case, is Windows 7).

For some reason, I thought there was a workaround somewhere, but right off I can't find it. :/

TheSmartOne

Oooo, Chess. That is one game I need to start looking to buy so I can make an alternate installer for. Unlike most of the other classic LEGO game installers, Chess does not have the 16-bit to 32-bit command "translator", meaning it is completely incompatible with 64-bit Windows (which in your case, is Windows 7).

For some reason, I thought there was a workaround somewhere, but right off I can't find it. :/

Dang... Thanks for that. Now to figure out how to make it translate.  :smug:

Ninja edit: It ran in the past on 32-bit WinXP...

Question for anyone reading:

1. What is dsetup32.dll? There were other files named dsetup.dll and dsetup16.dll on the disc.

2. In the Setup config file (which contains 4-6 lines of short code), there was a line reading "16on16=N". Does this mean anything special?

Dang... Thanks for that. Now to figure out how to make it translate. :smug:

That cannot happen like you think it might. The only way to fix that is to write an alternate installer in modern technology that duplicates the original's functionality

That's how it works. 16-bit programs do not run at all on 64-bit Windows, but can in 32-bit Windows.

1. What is dsetup32.dll? There were other files named dsetup.dll and dsetup16.dll on the disc.

2. In the Setup config file (which contains 4-6 lines of short code), there was a line reading "16on16=N". Does this mean anything special?

1. Related to the DirectX installer. Useless to the task at hand.

2. Sounds like it refers to the original WOW (the translator I referred to above). Also useless to the task at hand (installing Chess on 64-bit Windows).

TheSmartOne

Dang... Thanks for that. Now to figure out how to make it translate. :smug:

That cannot happen like you think it might. The only way to fix that is to write an alternate installer in modern technology that duplicates the original's functionality

That's how it works. 16-bit programs do not run at all on 64-bit Windows, but can in 32-bit Windows.

1. Related to the DirectX installer. Useless to the task at hand.

2. Sounds like it refers to the original WOW (the translator I referred to above). Also useless to the task at hand (installing Chess on 64-bit Windows).

Someone here got it to work... No clue how. Not gonna worry about it anymore.

Mr. Eight-Three-One

There is one problem with using a VM, though -- it requires you to own another expensive Windows license in order for it to work, and not everybody (myself included) has access to one of those. Also, it has to be Windows XP or better -- I don't know of any VM or emulator that supports 3D acceleration below that OS, aside from VMware which does it on as low as 2000 (which I've found to be less reliable than XP with compatibility anyway).

Le, the solution you are thinking of is this: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

Basically, what you need to do is copy the files off the disc and replace the install.exe file with the InstallSheild 5 file mentioned on that page (at least, I THINK it's 5; if it doesn't work, try 3). You should be good to launch it then.

LimeKiller

it requires you to own another expensive Windows license in order for it to work

VMLite  allows you to use Microsoft's XP Mode in VirtualBox. It's completely free, and -- I'm assuming -- legal, since it uses a download from Microsoft's website.

TheSmartOne

Only place it shows up is the start menu. No folders or anything (besides the stuff i copied off the disc).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.