LEGO Batman 3 Announced

lol username

lol username

It was never a question of "if", just a question of "when". The answer is this Autumn.

It is literally LEGO Batman Recycled In Space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoUJbNxUpM

Read more about the game here. 150 characters, all major platforms.

The game throws lots of different gameplay types into the mix. "There's a lot more variety than we've previously had with the Lego Batman games," he added. "We are doing space combat, races, virtual reality missions, platforming, RPG elements. Characters are always going to be changing and upgrading. It just keeps kids engaged, and they will just play it and play it and play it. They love it. We get our satisfaction making fun games for kids."

Sources:

Polygon

Say what you want about this being a recycled space-themed TT Games rehash, but from what information is available, I am rather interesting in Batman 3 (even more so than LMO). I have thoroughly enjoyed and am still enjoying Batman 2 in many respects, including the story line. From what it sounds like so far, Batman 3 might be just as good. Yes, we all saw this coming at the end of Batman 2, and yes TT Games have not been too... well-built recently (*cough*LTLMTVG*cough*), but Batman, to me, has been a pretty solid line of games. If this turns out anything like Batman 2, I'll probably be getting it (two years after release like I did with Batman 2).

• Like 2

lol username

My main concern is that TT's idea of "variety" in the past several games has been "throw in random minigames". Ok, so the minigames may potentially entertain kids briefly, and then what? Back to more of the same. Linear/highly scripted levels with more open areas that hold rewards for doing mindless tasks. Lots to do, little choice or emergent mechanics. I can sometimes look past stuff like that if there are enough other elements of the game I like and can focus on (see LMO), but I'm personally not interested in the various licenses and TT's overall aesthetics, and thus the most enjoyment I've gotten out of these games recently has been just watching the cutscenes for their humor. There's always that hope that the next game might dare to respect the player, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

Oboe Shoes

Like most people, I've been growing tired of the TT engine re-hashing, though I'll probably still give this a chance, if only for the fact that it's DC characters. I have Batman 1, but never played Batman 2... I might pick it up on Steam before this comes out.

Honestly, if this were another franchise, I'd probably not be interested, but I'm still a pretty big DC fan (even if I resent about 97% the New 52...), and I'd really like to see some of the less prominent characters playable here. The one other reason I'm giving this a chance, is simply that TT has actually surprised me lately. LEGO City Undercover was a really nice change of pace, and even though it was still based on the old LEGO Star Wars engine, the single player and open-world aspects felt really fresh, and the game really felt like it's own thing, and not just a LEGO Star Wars mod. The LEGO Movie video game also pretty good, tbh. Even though it returned to the LEGO Star Wars style of co-op and missions, I still had a lot of fun with it.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

"So, is there any sign that the Lego games formula is losing cred with the kids? "Well, I'm 39 and I still like Lego," said Parsons."

*insert snide comment relating to the fact that most everybody here has grown sick after almost ten years of the same formula (and that TT games is very greedy)*

• Like 3

My main concern is that TT's idea of "variety" in the past several games has been "throw in random minigames". Ok, so the minigames may potentially entertain kids briefly, and then what? Back to more of the same. Linear/highly scripted levels with more open areas that hold rewards for doing mindless tasks. Lots to do, little choice or emergent mechanics. I can sometimes look past stuff like that if there are enough other elements of the game I like and can focus on (see LMO), but I'm personally not interested in the various licenses and TT's overall aesthetics, and thus the most enjoyment I've gotten out of these games recently has been just watching the cutscenes for their humor. There's always that hope that the next game might dare to respect the player, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Hobbit right there.

I am not amused by Batman 3. It sounds exactly like The Hobbit: more stuff to do, racing and flying and building but IN NO WAY having fun.

The game throws lots of different gameplay types into the mix. "There's a lot more variety than we've previously had with the Lego Batman games," he added. "We are doing space combat, races, virtual reality missions, platforming, RPG elements. Characters are always going to be changing and upgrading. It just keeps kids engaged, and they will just play it and play it and play it. They love it. We get our satisfaction making fun games for kids."

Ooh, combat. Except... we all know how good TT's fighting system is. Even RR had a better one.

To me this sounds a) annoying sidequests, b) glitchy annoying sidequests, c) pointless glitchy annoying sidequests, and d) a good source of Mad Pain Points.

I am not amused.

• Like 2

Quisoves Potoo
Ooh, combat. Except... we all know how good TT's fighting system is

This is one of the great oddities of the TT system. For a game system so focused on smashing enemies and objects, it does so little to make the task interesting or challenging. The combat system has, if anything, devolved since LEGO Star Wars. Enemies were at least not entirely superfluous there. Granted, games like Marvel Super Heroes and Lord of the Rings have introduced various interesting ways to do your enemies in, but these amount to parlor tricks, amusing, but not substantial The only TT game that I have played which made any effort to create a more challenging combat system was LEGO Star Wars III, with its real time strategy levels, but, like the level building system, what should have been a path to follow was simply an anomaly.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

yet again, the game graphically looks good.

Although the graphics certainly look nice, I would actually argue that it appears that TT has downgraded their graphics since the Hobbit as it featured Ambient Occlusion for the minifigures and bricks, while here it would appear they have actually gotten rid of the ambient occlusion which I felt looked quite nice.

Two things I noticed from the trailer:

1. Are those the same voice actors from Batman 2? Doesn't quite sound like it to me.

2. They changed Wonder Woman's outfit.

Oboe Shoes

Wonder Woman is still Laura Bailey, so she's at least the same. Couldn't really get a good listen for Batman and Supes though.

And yes, it seems Wonder woman is in her New 52 outfit now.

WAIT

Stop deranging TT quite so much.

Does anyone remember Bionicle Heroes? (Set in Voya Nui)

To me, that was such a good game that it felt like it wasn't made by TT. It had a good level of quality and I WANTZ IT.

What made it so good?

LONG RANTS AHEAD

EXPECT DELAYS

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS THEN USE MODERATOR POWERS :P

It's the same TT core - bash up enemies, collect studs, solve puzzles, beat up boss, etc. But it was far more of a ranged game, and no Toa had a melee ability. (The ranged weapons you couldn't control what they fired at, but you didn't need to because the game had a pretty good idea of what you were doing)

But, by collecting different amounts of studs depending on where you were at, you could get to Hero Mode. This made you invincible.

BUT

Hero Mode was necessary to complete a level. There were golden bricks that you... 'built' isn't quite right. TT's 'building' scheme is something that came out of a dumpster. It's more like the original Star Wars building thing... if you know what I mean. This golden brick being was uncontrollable and it usually did something like move rocks, or (quite commonly) move itself. They WERE NOT USED to kill enemies. Hero Mode, as I said before, as it depends on where you are, is impossible to get in boss fights (unless you spend a day beating up the Cannon Fodder they send at you), but is not too difficult to get in places where it isn't neccesary... yet.

The life system worked like this: You started with, let's say, 3 masks. Then you lose five health (easy to do! See below), and you drop that mask. You then switch to another Toa. Then you might find a mask. And another. Each Toa has a different weapon and special ability (No, it's not like the new ones which you hold a key to charge it and then release). Kongu has a three-fire crossbow. Hahli has a machine gun. Jaller has a rapid-fire gun. Nuparu - oh yes - has basically a mine launcher. Matoro has a decent pistol-type weapon, BUT he can scope (which is used to smack targets to open gates. It's well-made and used sparingly). And Hewkii has a rifle-style-and-damage weapon.

What do you do with the studs you collect? You can buy stuff for the Piraka Playground (the best Lego humor I've seen in a long time), or upgrades for your characters. These upgrades included their health, their damage, and their Special Ability. This was used solely to open spots to gain access to Silver and Gold Canisters (a.k.a Minikits).

All this was great. But the main things were this:

NOTHING was OP. Even fully upgraded Nuparu with practically a nuke - that weapon is very ineffective against bosses. (He's pretty useless until you upgrade his weapon... :P)

The levels weren't too hard if you wanted to speedrun, but if you wanted to collect studs and Canisters then there were difficult puzzles. Not 'puzzles' like TT's new building scheme ( :wimp:), but things like spotting a sniper thing in the distance... except that you lost Matoro early on. :P Or maybe you needed to continue the level to find something (NOT PICK UP, like TT's newer 'Backpack.' No, I'm saying something like a secret passage that's actually a long way off). Furthermore, you could actually get 100% on a level first try (Not all, as some required the very last character (you beat Vezon, he becomes part of your list)). There's nothing like Free Play. There's only a 'Play Again' which has no difference from the first level.

The bosses. Were great.

The Rahkshi stood in their force field for a time, firing at you, and then they dropped it. But they weren't too hard.

Then there was a medium boss, between the Rahkshi and the Piraka. (All in different levels, of course) The most boring was one where you dodged attacks, got to Hero Mode and then swatted the boss with the Hero Mode stuff. That was the most boring boss. Everything else was SUPA FRIGGIN AWESUM11one!!!!

Also: 0 glitches.

I could not glitch the game in any way. TT deserves a round of applause, for that :P.

I keep up some hope - some - that TT's games, in the the year 2050, might actually make a decent game. Might.

Though I have to say, it doesn't look like this for Batman.

(Sorry if this has been a long rant which is off-topic)

I looked at the trailer and thought only three things (in this particular order):

[batman monologuing] "THESE ARE THE VOYAGES OF THE--ohwait, wrong franchise."

[Wonder Woman's "Batman working in black, or very dark gra--" line] "lol TLM reference"

[after the trailer] "If they don't at LEAST have a Classic Space cameo, I will be VERY disappointed."

Overlooking the talking in space and other inconsistencies of that trailer (I mean, it's LEGO and DC after all), I'll have to say that this is just another mediocre title to come from TT. It's "LEGO BATMANS IN SPACE".

But nowhere near the quality of jamesster's masterpiece series "LEGOS IN SPACE".

PREVIEW VERDICT: This game will NOT boldly go where no LEGO TT game has gone before.

LEGOCyborg12

Idk guys why you are hating this but Since I played the classic Lego Star Wars.For me every new TT game gets me exited for the next one.Personally i like the TT Formula yeah LEGO Group's classic Formula was better but cmon guys its the future!

Seaborgium

What bugs me about the whole "Batman: In Space" setting isn't that it's bizarre, but that they're going for novelty, not actual development. Lego Batman 2, while it used a lot of the same formula, at least had new development with the open world hub.

With this, the space setting just seems like a desperate grapple at novelty and excitement, without the meat of any development. It reminds me of something I'd play in a dream, where Batman is in space because it's cool, but there really isn't rhyme or reason to it.

If they are going to use the same formula, at least do something interesting with it. Make a game using classic Lego themes or something. The idea of batman in space is admittance kinda cool, but making a whole Batman in Space game is just desperate.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

So first DC piggybacks on the incredible success of the Avengers with a Justice League movie.

Now the feel inclined to piggyback on the success of Howard the Duck.

DC, have you no shame!?

So first DC piggybacks on the incredible success of the Avengers with a Justice League movie.

Now the feel inclined to piggyback on the success of Howard the Duck.

DC, have you no shame!?

Hey, hey, HEY!

Marvel and DC have copied each other countless times. Despite being a DC fan, I won't pick sides on this particular matter - both companies rip each other off regularly and probably equally. The fact that Marvel (Disney) has chosen to spend less time on their films to produce more in a shorter timespan, and DC has gone the other way, just means that a Justice League film could always have been planned but just happened to come about after Marvel got their first.

And also, Green Loontern isn't a copy of Howard the Duck at all. He's just Duck Dodgers in a Green Lantern outfit.

Green Loontern isn't a copy of Howard the Duck at all. He's just Duck Dodgers in a Green Lantern outfit.

I was bot really being serious. I find the idea that DC would want to copy the "success" of Howard the Duck absurd.

Ah, I thought so, I originally had a footnote "I know you weren't being serious, but still :P", but removed it in case you were and I'd consequently offend you.

Indeed, Howard the Duck is a real quacker.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.