Anyone play Space Engineers?

Cyrem

So I got Space Engineers because it looked really interesting and I've played in for about 2 hours and... I don't know what to do.

I mined and made like two blocks and then I was just questioning what the point of this was. The basic quick start survival, you pretty much start with everything so it just feels like I just went to the end game immediately.

So... is this meant to be fun in multiplayer? Because survival isn't that amazing, it's just you in space and .... yeah... lots of nothing-ness... just feels like creative mode, but you have to make everything.

Minecraft is far more enjoyable then this and they're both about imaginative building, so what am I missing about this that is making it boring?

TheDoctor

This is an early access game. The basic framework is done and they have weekly content updates every Thursday. Unless you intend on recreating some famous ship from Star Wars or literally any space movie, there's not a whole lot to do yet. You can choose to start with the easy scenario, or with basically nothing. Really you need a goal and friends to play with. MSSSSM, Acmex and I played it for a bit and got bored fairly quickly. Half the weapons are non-functional, and the game runs horribly when you start having any appreciable amount of blocks in the world. There's simply a lack of content, so unless you want to create the LMS Explorer or do some silly faction wars thing, there's not much else to do.

Well thats disappointing. The videos and reviews made it seem like it actually had content. Hopefully there will be some content soon to make exploring interesting rather than "oh look another asteroid".

I also found the lack of lighting while mining annoying and the only way I know to add lights requires me to make a generator which takes a while to gather parts for.

TheDoctor

You have headlights on your suit, but they're awfully dim and drain your suit power faster. Creating a mining ship is much better in most situations.

You have headlights on your suit, but they're awfully dim and drain your suit power faster. Creating a mining ship is much better in most situations.

What I ended up doing was making the platform go into the asteroid... like a normal tunnel I guess. Then I just put lights on the walkway.

The game could really use some ladders.

• 4 weeks later...
Tauka Usanake

Awww, Space Engineers. I still play it every now and then. They've really got a lot of updates out lately, a decent more can be done. I think the best thing to do here is to try recreating the LMS Explorer or something. That would prove fun and challenging but yeah, what Doc said you need a goal and others always make things more fun.

They just got dedicated servers out but they still need work. A few more weeks and it might be something to look into for projects, but otherwise not something too much just yet.

And didn't they have ladders once? Hallway ladders or something?

someswedish

I own the game as well, but i don't really play it much these day, though i had fun times playing on creative mode with some friends of mine.

One time i made a small spaceship that looked like a poorly pixelated superman, it crashed when i tried to show it to my friends, as does many of the ships i make.

• 4 weeks later...

I play.

They removed the ladders a bit ago due to issues with crashing, if I remember correctly.

I was thinking, it'd be interesting if we built the LMS Explorer ingame.  Anyone interested?

• Like 1

Tauka Usanake

I'd like to try that. However it sounds quiet impossible if life-sized. Not impossible to make, but to load into the same world as. Still, I'd like to try!

I'd like to try that. However it sounds quiet impossible if life-sized. Not impossible to make, but to load into the same world as. Still, I'd like to try!

What are your system specs and internet speeds?  Chose your answers carefully, as the answer will determine who gets to host =P

I'll go dig up the dimensions of the ship...  I believe Sadie's MOC of the hangar bay will be quite helpful.

Tauka Usanake

I have learned to not share my specs because they are good in a stupid way. I need a gaming PC if I'm to do anything more than what I can normally

I have learned to not share my specs because they are good in a stupid way. I need a gaming PC if I'm to do anything more than what I can normally

I'll host, then.  Perhaps we could schedule a time of day/week to work on it?  What time zone are you in?

I'm on the Pacific coast of the US.

On the subject of scaling...

Lego has an odd scaling scheme.  Brick height is 47:1, but width is something else... and I can't find data on it.  Should we just scale everything by the height ratio, and assume the hallways and stuff are just rather wide?

Not what I meant =P

Going from height alone, the minifig to human ratio is 47 minifigs to an average american human at 1.7 meters tall.  This means the vertical scaling ratio is 1:47 (very close to the popular "Half Scale" 1:48 scale).  However, Minifigs are wide.  Their horizontal dimension is not 1:47 at all.

To get the vertical "If the LMS Explorer were real" height, we can multiply the height (104.93cm) by 47 (it's 49.3171 meters tall).  However, the length and width are on the scale of the fat dimension of minifigs, and as such arent' the same.

We could just scale it by the same amount.  This would give us wheelchair compliant doors.  This makes it 363.517 meters long, by 49.9986 meters wide.

• 8 months later...
Crystalyzer

I'm currently building the L.M.S. Explorer in Space Engineers (haven't thought of scale, but it's quite large :P).

I've played the game quite a lot, and if anyone would like to help me build this ship I would greatly appreciate it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.