windows 8 trouble...

theglizer

theglizer

Hi,

I installed Lego rock raiders and the installation went just fine but i got the "missing d3drm.dll" error, no biggi fixed that, but now when i try to open Lego rock raiders advanced/standard it says "No DirectX 3D accelerator could be found": http://imgur.com/s6Mdq4Z

When i try to run LegoRR.exe from Games folder it comes up with this: http://imgur.com/7A2m25G

Notice how you can't click the "ok" button on any of the modes...

None of the versions works with compatibility mode and 16 bit color. Oh and excuse for all of the weird words, they're swedish!

Thanks

EDIT: changed the topic title as it seems to get unwanted rage.

Okay seriously, will people stop making topics like "Just gotta love windows 8." Not only is it unhelpful, and non descriptive, but it pisses me off because I happen to like Windows 8. It's a perfectly fine OS, and it has a lot of useful features that Windows 7 does not. (but that's just my opinion, and I'd still take Arch Linux over Windows 8 any day of the week)

Anyways, you might want to try running dxdiag, which you can access from the run menu (Windows Key + R). It would be helpful to see what versions of Direct X you have. If you could get some screen grabs of that, that would be fantastic. I typically have this issue in virtual machines where Direct X versions 8 (I think) and lower will not run.

• Like 3

RockRaiderWolf

I assume you tried looking under software emulation as well? I had a similar problem on my old laptop. strange thing is when I transferred my data method version from pc to the laptop it worked. in other words maybe try and see if you can get it to work using data method. Could it maybe be something to do with installation location? I know when I tranfered the data method version I placed it in a different directory. Hope you manage to get it working. good luck :)

Oboe Shoes

Okay seriously, will people stop making topics like "Just gotta love windows 8." Not only is it unhelpful, and non descriptive, but it pisses me off because I happen to like Windows 8. People who don't like Windows 8 just don't know how to use it properly. It's a perfectly fine OS, and it has a lot of useful features that Windows 7 does not.

Anyways, you might want to try running dxdiag, which you can access from the run menu (Windows Key + R). It would be helpful to see what versions of Direct X you have. If you could get some screen grabs of that, that would be fantastic. I typically have this issue in virtual machines where Direct X versions 8 (I think) and lower will not run.

Eh. On a personal note, I "know how to use it" just fine, but honestly, I can't stand Windows 8 either.

But yes, it does help us out if you can make topic titles clear and descriptive.  :)

Are your graphics card drivers properly installed and up-to-date?

People who don't like Windows 8 just don't know how to use it properly. It's a perfectly fine OS, and it has a lot of useful features that Windows 7 does not.

Yes it does have some useful features, however, people have a right to their opinion of something. Just because you don't like something does not mean you don't know how to use it. People can be experts at things they absolutely despise. I do not like Windows 8, I believe Microsoft lost their direction when they created the thing.

theglizer

Okay seriously, will people stop making topics like "Just gotta love windows 8." Not only is it unhelpful, and non descriptive, but it pisses me off because I happen to like Windows 8. People who don't like Windows 8 just don't know how to use it properly. It's a perfectly fine OS, and it has a lot of useful features that Windows 7 does not.

No i'm perfectly fine with windows 8 too, however it deleted stuff that is needed to play older games. anyway by screen grabs i presume you mean screenshots: http://imgur.com/zS59C6T

This computer is only one year old so there shouldn't be any problems with too low directX version

Are your graphics card drivers properly installed and up-to-date?

People who don't like Windows 8 just don't know how to use it properly. It's a perfectly fine OS, and it has a lot of useful features that Windows 7 does not.

Yes it does have some useful features, however, people have a right to their opinion of something. Just because you don't like something does not mean you don't know how to use it. People can be experts at things they absolutely despise. I do not like Windows 8, I believe Microsoft lost their direction when they created the thing.

Yes they should be i have geforce experience set to auto update, I have a nvidia geforce GT640 2GB (it sucks) running geforce 335.23 Diver

Eh. On a personal note, I "know how to use it" just fine, but honestly, I can't stand Windows 8 either.

Ah yes, you're both right. I stand corrected, I'll rephrase that. - Better?

Could we get one more screenshot of the Display tab?

theglizer

Ah yes, you're both right. I stand corrected, I'll rephrase that. - Better?

Could we get one more screenshot of the Display tab?

Of course, i have two monitors, heres both of them, don't know if it necessary with both of them but just for good measure(and i'm a bit ocd):

http://imgur.com/ukpGKsF,RR5ijAl#0

http://imgur.com/ukpGKsF,RR5ijAl#1

DirectX looks fine, assuming you installed DirectX 6 along with Rock Raiders upon install. I see that you have a i7-3770k, since that does indeed have integrated graphics, it couldn't hurt to try running Rock Raiders with that. That's what I used to run my copy of Rock Raiders, since it hates AMD Radeon. 

theglizer

DirectX looks fine, assuming you installed DirectX 6 along with Rock Raiders upon install. I see that you have a i7-3770k, since that does indeed have integrated graphics, it couldn't hurt to try running Rock Raiders with that. That's what I used to run my copy of Rock Raiders, since it hates AMD Radeon. 

ok but how do i do that? unplug my graphics card? i've also looked into ways too boot using win xp but the greedy jerks over at microsoft requires you too have windows 8 pro too run the programs that allows me to do that...

There may be a way for you to tell your graphics card to not run when launching certain applications. The nVidia control panel should let you do that in Manage 3D Settings. Find or add LRR in the program list and turn everything off or set everything to application-controlled. My laptop at home adds an option to the menu when I right-click a program that lets me choose whether to use the integrated graphics or the GPU, but it must not be an option in all cards since my work laptop doesn't give me that option at all. Experiment with that a little bit and see if it helps.

• 1 year later...

wow it's been more than a year since i last visited this topic, and as a quick update i found my good old windows xp laptop and the game worked fine on that, and recently i installed it and got it working on my new windows 7 pc with a gtx 560 ti graphics card. And for my other windows 8 pc i got it running using a win xp vertual machine but it was very laggy. also to note is that the music is broken on all my instances of the game, but as far i know that seems to be a common problem.

Happy summer to you all!

Edited by theglizer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.