Vectrex4Life

Vectrex4Life

Am I the only one out there who believes that LEGO Racers 1 is better than any Mario Kart or Crash racing game? I can go back to it again and again, it just never gets old.

Fluffy Cupcake

Certain Mario Karts, yes. Others I play more or equally though. (actually... there is only one Mario Kart I own soooooo).

• Like 1

RobExplorien
LEGO Racers 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZbGSXeWWE 

But seriously, it depends for me. Though I wouldn't easily consider LEGO Racers to have a great replay value (but mods have certainly changed this to a certain extent), it will always have a special place in my nostalgia archive. Like Brutalmoose said, only two players maximum at a golden age of party gaming was a death sentence. A core factor as to why the Mario Kart games have overall better replay value for me. Comparing LR would be most fair with MK64. The latter provided quite a challenge for me throughout the game, it has rubber-banding (which instantly makes the game more challenging) and the power-up system works out better. But I learnt to accept the 'difficulty' of LR and adapted my racing style to that of the AI. 

• Like 1

lol username

I really only find myself going back to LR1 once in a while to screw around with character and car creation. The actual racing has no challenge in it anymore, and everything has been explored, no more mysterious beta shortcut remnants to investigate, there's nothing else to do. I do go back to LR2 sometimes though, and play around in arcade mode - where there's no car upgrades to screw up the difficulty and I can blow up cars left and right - or just drive around the worlds for fun.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

I really only find myself going back to LR1 once in a while to screw around with character and car creation. The actual racing has no challenge in it anymore

Pretty much that. The game has no challenge. Aside from random mods, the creators, and other fun things like the tournament (we should do another one again some time. ;)), there isn't really much to keep me interested.

and play around in arcade mode - where there's no car upgrades to screw up the difficulty

Ah yes, the difficulty of not being faster than everyone else. I really should do arcade more oft... oh wait, that's right. Even if you are behind, you get an overpowered shockwave weapon which destroys half of everyone's car. Get it again and you are well on your way to an easy victory. -_-

LEGO Racers is the only racing game I play, It's a big part of my childhood among with LEGO Island ! :D

EDIT: Just figured out this was my 100th post :o

lol username

Even if you are behind, you get an overpowered shockwave weapon which destroys half of everyone's car. Get it again and you are well on your way to an easy victory.

Already ten times more interesting and dynamic than any race I've had in the first game recently.

Quisoves Potoo
You get an overpowered shockwave weapon which destroys half of everyone's car. Get it again and you are well on your way to an easy victory. -_-

I really wish that computer racers could use the "brick-quake" powerup. I wonder if their inability to do so is hard -coded? Hmmm... I should research this some more.

Fluffy Cupcake

Already ten times more interesting and dynamic than any race I've had in the first game recently.

You're right. It is x10 more fun seeing cars getting torn to pieces.  :P Nevermind, that probably isn't the point. Well... whatever the point was aside from just being funner, I think I lost it.

O.T.

I'm kind of hoping it is possible to make AI take seperate routes later on in modding, so they don't all take the EXACT SAME path.

I really wish that computer racers could use the "brick-quake" powerup. I wonder if their inability to do so is hard -coded? Hmmm... I should research this some more.

It is possible for them to use it, provided you manage to let them steal it from you with the ninja weapon. Otherwise they can't naturally get it.

• Like 1

Quisoves Potoo

You're right. It is x10 more fun seeing cars getting torn to pieces.  :P Nevermind, that probably isn't the point. Well... whatever the point was aside from just being funner, I think I lost it.

O.T.

I'm kind of hoping it is possible to make AI take seperate routes later on in modding, so they don't all take the EXACT SAME path.

It is possible for them to use it, provided you manage to let them steal it from you with the ninja weapon. Otherwise they can't naturally get it.

Silly me, I'd forgotten that. So, it sounds like a feasible change.

Oboe Shoes

I like LR1 much more than LR2.

I know LR2 wasn't made by HVS, which is most of the reason it has a different feel to it, but overall it feels much less polished, and I don't really like the driving physics in LR2, they always felt rather sluggish and awkward. That, and I really loved how LR1 featured so many of the current themes at the time, and was rather disappointed LR2 only focused on a few. While it was kinda neat, I really don't care for the overworld freeroam gimmick that much, as it really limited the themes, and the tracks were just different paths around each hub world, while LR1 was set up more like a standard Mario Kart or other racer and allowed for the tracks to be more-or-less unrelated.

As said, LR1 obviously has some gameplay flaws, and rather low difficulty, as the only things that generally come close to being challenging are a few of the Time Trials, and Rocket Racer Run can still be a bit of a crapshoot, but I still think it's a really good game, even without nostalgia goggles. The car creation is much better than LR2, and honestly works very well considering the game's age.

(Also, Rocket Racer's LR2 redesign is terrible. There, I said it.) 

• Like 3

Fluffy Cupcake

and the tracks were just different paths around each hub world, while LR1 was set up more like a standard Mario Kart or other racer and allowed for the tracks to be more-or-less unrelated.

That is one thing I really love about LR more than LR2, the diversity of tracks, and the amount of themes. The only real issue I have with LR2s physics is the random rare (though common for others) 180° turn. Though I do agree the phys in LR handled more nicely.

...the only things that generally come close to being challenging are a few of the Time Trials

For the main gameplay LR was less on the easy side than LR2 is, LR2 has almost nothing for a challenge in the main line of gameplay.

Powerups... for LR2 I never felt much satisfied with the weapons, except the slizer disc, at least with that I could snipe people from a distance. One thing that always annoyed me was getting the Nemesis or Thunderball weapon in second place on a two player only race. It is absolutely useless then. Stealth weapon, only really useful for dodging bloodhounds, and I always found the wait for the weapon to expire a bit too long for my taste. The corkscrew would be okay if it went slightly faster. You have to be near a group of racers to do any good damage with it.

At least with LR you could pick your weapon, and choose to upgrade it if you wish to, as well as use multiple at once if you happen to use it near another weapon spot. Not being forced to use some unwanted crap weapon and wait for it to finish whatever action it does before you can grab another.

Someone (or a group) needs to get out there and make a LR fangame and take the best of both games, then everyone will be happy! :P

Yeah, I know, in my dreams. Much easier said than done. But I really think that would be awesome.

• Like 1

MaelstromIslander

I really only find myself going back to LR1 once in a while to screw around with character and car creation. The actual racing has no challenge in it anymore, and everything has been explored, no more mysterious beta shortcut remnants to investigate, there's nothing else to do.

Oh really? :smug: (who wants to volunteer to make an expansion pack?)

aidenpons

and make a LR fangame

RACRES IN SPEES: Teh retun of Rokit Raser

• Like 3

RockRaiderWolf

I have actually only ever played two mario kart games so I can only say out of them I like LR1 better than the original Mario Kart game I played on the NDS which I don't recall the exact name for. (at least for replay value) however I think Mario Kart Wii is better than LR1. However I also have to agree that LR1 will always have a nostalgia value that Mario Kart will never achieve. :P

PS: I really need to remember to buy LR2 sometime. 

• 3 months later...

I'll play LEGO Racers 1 over Mario Kart any day.

Am I the only one out there who believes that LEGO Racers 1 is better than any Mario Kart or Crash racing game? I can go back to it again and again, it just never gets old.

I'm fans of both LEGO and Mario so...MEH.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.