Ninjarelic

I've been trying to find a way to get LRR to work on my new PC for weeks now, after reading endless forums and discussions with AMD card users having the same problems as me, i would like to share how i got the game to run for me.  :)

Specs:

PC - Alienware Aurora R4

Video Card - AMD Radeon HD 8990

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Processor - Intel core I7-4960X CPU, 3.60GHz, 3601Mhz, 6 cores, 12 logic processors

So after copying the d3drm.dll file into the main LRR folder, i moved the shortcut labled LegoRR to the desktop. Opened CLGen, selected Vodoo 2 and left it open on screen. (This should stop the game from crashing during start-up and when starting a mission) Then right-clicked the LegoRR shortcut, used compatability mode with the following boxes checked off:

-Disable visual themes

-Disable desktop composition

-Disable scaling on high DPI settings

-Run this program as administrator

After this there is only one more thing. (As far as i know, this only applies to cards using CrossfireX Mode) Go into Catalyst Control Centre, the Gaming, select 3D Application Settings. + Add, search files until you find the LegoRR.exe shortcut, and select it. This should allow you to change the graphical features used when running this specific game. Scroll down until you find CrossfireX Mode, open the options list for it and select Disable, then Save.

This should stop the screen flickering and un-textured landslide screen transition, and (if you got this far before) the HUD flickering/flashing while in missions.  

This isn't a complete fix though, just after finding this out and playing a couple missions, the game crashed as soon as i tried to teleport down a Loader Dozer.  :/

I hope this helps people, and i'm open for suggestions (and also advice on how to teleport large vehicles without crashing the game)

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I was playing the game again today, and very gingerly i teleported down a Large vehicle. (Chrome Crusher) The animation lowed the game significantly, even more than rockslides or drilling, but it didn't crash this time. It also let me teleport down a Loader Dozer.

It was on a different level than before, but i really hope it isn't level specific. I would much rather it just be an occasional glitch.

• Like 2

It's good to have a solution documented for AMD hardware. I don't have a fix for teleporting large vehicles, but I would implore any other members with AMD graphics cards to try this and let us know if it helps. I'll probably sticky this topic if looks like it's a legit fix.

You got me excited! I went and tried it immediately, though to my dismay it did not work. Your instructions seem a bit outdated perhaps? I don't see those compatibility settings in Win 8, and I don't remember them in Win 7. I also don't see any such Crossfire X mode setting in the latest Catalyst Control Center (14.02). Thanks for your effort, anyways! Glad you got yours running.

You got me excited! I went and tried it immediately, though to my dismay it did not work. Your instructions seem a bit outdated perhaps? I don't see those compatibility settings in Win 8, and I don't remember them in Win 7. I also don't see any such Crossfire X mode setting in the latest Catalyst Control Center (14.02). Thanks for your effort, anyways! Glad you got yours running.

Sorry this didn't work for you, Sharkly. I can assure you all my drivers are up to date.

The only thing i can see making a difference would be if you didn't select the RGB Emulation mode.

Also, you didn't see the CrossfireX mode option because you do not have a dual GPU card/Crossfire set-up.

I know bnothing about the Windows 8 OS, but i do know that the compatibility modes i referenced are present in Windows 7, at least the Ultimate 64 bit edition.

Best of luck with getting your game to work properly, and please keep me up to date on your progress

Oh, you're right! I forgot that *990 cards are dual GPU. I suppose that would make a difference in CCC. I tried this with both DirectX and RGB emulation modes. Thanks!

I did mention the Voodoo2 fix quite some time ago. I never did get over the lag problem though. :/

I read quite a few replies to threads suggesting the Voodoo2 option, i would have mentioned all the sources and threads i compiled the information from, but there would have been too many to list.

If anything this could just be an updated thread to repost anything i didn't mention, its not like this is a complete fix for every video card, theres still PLENTY of room for improvement.

• 3 months later...

Hi Ninjarelic,

Thanks for the post, good to see someone has found a slight way around the issue.

First things first I'm using:

Windows 7 - 64 bit

Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHZ

Directx 11

8gb ram

- AMD Radeon HD 7800 series 4gb memory

I tried your fixes and I'm afraid no avail. I have always been able to get through startup and to the mission screen (only through emulation mode), just when I try to play a mission it loads then game exits...

Very very gutted this was one of my all time favourite games and I've been desperate to play it for years, I really hope someone finds a way around it soon. This AMD graphics card is brilliant for lots of high spec games but it's been a ballache for lots of minor things like this. Very frustrating that when they make something new it's not made to deal with everything from the old.

It's worth mentioning I don't have crossfire (obviously) but I had a played about with the settings for the game in the catalyst centre and it doesn't make a differnce going high or low,  still only able to open up in emulation mode and get to mission start point :(

Keep me updated people!

Hi Ninjarelic,

Thanks for the post, good to see someone has found a slight way around the issue.

First things first I'm using:

Windows 7 - 64 bit

Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHZ

Directx 11

8gb ram

- AMD Radeon HD 7800 series 4gb memory

I tried your fixes and I'm afraid no avail. I have always been able to get through startup and to the mission screen (only through emulation mode), just when I try to play a mission it loads then game exits...

Very very gutted this was one of my all time favourite games and I've been desperate to play it for years, I really hope someone finds a way around it soon. This AMD graphics card is brilliant for lots of high spec games but it's been a ballache for lots of minor things like this. Very frustrating that when they make something new it's not made to deal with everything from the old.

It's worth mentioning I don't have crossfire (obviously) but I had a played about with the settings for the game in the catalyst centre and it doesn't make a differnce going high or low,  still only able to open up in emulation mode and get to mission start point :(

Keep me updated people!

Suffering the same thing with my AMD also. Desperate to try and find a fix for this.

I have been fiddling around with this for a while, to no avail. Eventually I found a way to make it work for me, but im not sure yet if this is a final fix, I'll keep you posted.

So, here's what I did. I have a radeon hd 7770 and a geforce 8500 gt, with the 14.4 catalyst drivers, and the 340.52 geforce drivers. After dealing with issues in the game raiderz, i had to rollback catalyst to 13.1 for compatability, and low and behold it works on my amd card. the nvida card is still installed, so i can't say if this effects the outcome, and since the 13.1 driver is 7ooo series and back only, i cant call the a complete fix.

tl;dr try to roll back your drivers to 13.1

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion131.aspx

Keep me posted guys, I wan't to know if this works for anyone else, who knows. this might just give this game the kick it needed.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Thought I'd edit my card on top of the post.

My graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5450

tl;dr try to roll back your drivers to 13.1

I didn't roll back, although I did just uninstall it, and it was highly successful! Now I'm able to play in Direct3D HAL mode and play LAGLESS! (before I could only play in RGB Emulation which lagged a lot of things, like rockfall, teleportation, lava, etc). Thanks a lot!

I still have to try installing that version, which I will now because a few things on my computer are disfunctional (Steam and Skype not starting)

Edit: Installed it an still working!

I'll add something:

I have a Radeon X1600.

And RR has always worked fine for me. One small exception with shading, but that has been ignored.

I literally did nothing to help it: just run Setup.exe. :P

:tf:

I'll add something:

I have a Radeon X1600.

And RR has always worked fine for me. One small exception with shading, but that has been ignored.

One moment while I swap over graphics cards just to play LRR.

Tried the un-install, no go for me. I have an R9 series, 13.1 drivers are for older cards.

Yeah, I'm sorry to say there isn't a way to get around the problem with r7,r9 series. if its a rebranded r9, like a 270 or 280, you might get away with flashing the cards bios with a 7870, or 7970 bios, whichever it is. it may be extensive, but it could work. I just don't have one to try it on.

iirc,

r9 270 = 7850

r9 270x = 7870

r9 280 = 7950

r9 280x = 7970

i could be wrong though.

I'll add something:

I have a Radeon X1600.

If I remember correctly, that card uses the legacy drivers anyways, so im not sure it even matters.

Tried the un-install, no go for me. I have an R9 series, 13.1 drivers are for older cards.

Yeah, I'm sorry to say there isn't a way to get around the problem with r7,r9 series. if its a rebranded r9, like a 270 or 280, you might get away with flashing the cards bios with a 7870, or 7970 bios, whichever it is. it may be extensive, but it could work. I just don't have one to try it on.

iirc,

r9 270 = 7850

r9 270x = 7870

r9 280 = 7950

r9 280x = 7970

i could be wrong though.

It's an R9270X 4GB, only about a month old so I don't really want to attempt flashing the bios just yet. It would like to find out why it's failing to start, but LRR doesn't do a much at all for logging errors.

Ok, so here is my conclusion. Any Radeon card before the "Radeon HD series" should work fine using the Voodoo 2 method.

Any Radeon card between "Radeon HD 2000" and the "Radeon HD 8000" should try using the 13.1 catalyst driver.

If you have a re-branded "Radeon RX" series, you can flash it to its "Radeon HD 7000" series counterpart, and use the 13.1 driver.

Any of the new "Radeon RX" series that are not re-branded cards, you're sol as far as I know.

• 4 months later...

I've just noticed that you're all using a 64bit OS.

Does this affect 32bit ones?

Nah I wouldn't think so. The drivers would be practically the same aside from being compiled for 32bit/64bit.

Fluffy Cupcake

Okay, do you all want to know something really odd?

I'll tell you. I was having this problem before, even with 'the fix' Leomunky provided, I would still get lag when major things happen (a whole base got teleported out), and the landslides and cheif would be fullbright. Now, after reformating, these problems disapeared, and the game runs with  NO PROBLEMS , with NO CHANGES or configuration to anything on my computer at all! 

No I don't have the catalyst center installed, I never had the need to after the format. Well, all this all is for the Win 7 32-bit side of things. On the Win 10 64-bit side I can't get the setup to run, or even the game to launch from the 32-bit's directory, I just get told that no supported screen modes were found.

No I don't have the catalyst center installed, I never had the need to after the format. Well, all this all is for the Win 7 32-bit side of things. On the Win 10 64-bit side I can't get the setup to run, or even the game to launch from the 32-bit's directory, I just get told that no supported screen modes were found.

You have to set compatibility mode on win10 to get the screen modes to appear/

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

You have to set compatibility mode on win10 to get the screen modes to appear/

Okay, that got it to show, but now what happens is a black-blink-boot crash.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.