Improving MLN

aidenpons

I remember jedi299 saying this...

Wait.. you guys are actually trying to finish MLN? The dead "Social Networking Site" that was a complete flop?

MLN, yes, did fail. But why? I'm just wondering, that if LEGO decides to semi-remake it, what it might do.

Here are my suggestions:

(I'm only Rank 5, and if you have any Gypsium or Pipes to spare (THOUGH NOT LOOSE SPARKS OR NAILS, PLEASE NO, I HAVE OVER 1000 NAILS AND 150 LOOSE SPARKS), then here I am.

1) Not so many random items (I mean randomly delivered). Remember trying to get Rough Rubies, Sapphires and Diamonds? MAD PAIN POINTS. :P They are a good idea, BUT the chance should be higher of one being sent out. Not one every 10 clicks (by my estimates), but one every 2, or 1 click(s). Also, Arcade Modules could also give out these items.

2) Messaging. There were only preset messages, which were USELESS. Perhaps, once you'd friended somebody, you could click the checkbox saying 'Allow handwritten messages.' Of course, there'd be preventive measures in place, but maybe not moderation. But blocking them should be a one-click stop, and reporting should also be possible.

3) Items. What is a millstone used for above rank 3? Nothing.There should be more uses for them. Or there should be a way to break them down again.

4) Modules. I have SO MANY MODULES, stemming from previous years with lots of bricks. There should be a way to degrade them back into bricks. I have, whatsit, about 15 Stunt Track Rank 1 modules because I wuz bored. :P And now I can't find the modules I want as the list is FLOODED.

5) Trade modules. These were a GREAT idea, BUT you could only send mailable things. Why were there mailable things in the first place? Okay, some of them might relate to secret Networkers (which never were secret anyway :P), like the POS seal, but if you want to give that away then... so what?

6) Badges. All you get are bragging rights. Perhaps each badge could give you a 10%+ module produce? (Or the time it takes for you to get x red bricks from the Apple Tree is decreased). And as well as that, there could possibly be special modules?

Note: I have NO IDEA how I got the Club Magazine badge. I am a member, but I don't know HOW THE HECK I GOT IT. I think I just asked Max and was rejected but still got it anyway... :S

7) Arcade games. They're pretty good, but the Delivery game should have something to prevent you from seeing over the edge of the map (it makes the map look horrible, with no scenery). Destuctoid should be a little more complicated. And the HOP game is evil when someone has put plus speed bonuses for everywhere EXCEPT the last two columns, and has put a top obstacle and then a bottom one (Note: If speed bonuses aren't on the bottom then you can slide the whole way and finish).

8) Modules that reward Blueprints. I have NO IDEA how I got the Jeweled Triceratops blueprint. 500 clicks? WHAT IS THIS

I haven't done the Totemic Animals stuff yet, but I can see that millions of MAD PAIN POINTS are going to be headed my way. :P

Meh, these are my thoughts. Lego's never going to remake MLN anyway, and this is primarily just a thought experiment to see what everyone who played it disliked.

I assume this is all hypothetical, as I doubt LEGO would ever remake MLN? It's been there longer than other 'MMO' games such as Drome Racing Challenge.

1) Agreed. I don't mind handing out random items to friends, so long as they aren't directly related to acquiring the masterpieces. Especially modules like the Golem - need the Gypsum, I don't want to send it to other people when I get clicks.

2) There's a reason for this, as you've mentioned. They don't expect many hardcore gamers to be playing MLN, rather little kids, so strict moderation has to be in place. Allowing custom messages even as an option for friends wouldn't be acceptable, from my experience kids' friends lists aren't generally dominated by people they actually know (MLN, Club Penguin, etc.), which means anyone could come along and use offensive language or worse. Even having a 'report' button wouldn't be acceptable to a parent who has hidden their 6-year-old from swear words all their life.

3) Yeah, I guess so. But I suppose the reasoning is that you have limited page space, so with the number of modules you collect as you continue ranking up, it would be more difficult to keep obtaining all items.

4) That'd be a handy feature, I would like it but again if we focus on the target audience, perhaps a little too complex.

5) I thought the trading list was HUGE? (In fact, It's not even alphabetically ordered which is stupid). There's a reason they don't allow you to hand out certain items, people need to work for them.

6) Yep, that'd be handy, but as mentioned in 4) it'd perhaps be too complex for kids. It would give us older players more reason to earn the badges though.

7) Agreed. Not sure how you'd fix the last point though, other than requiring a player to complete a game before they can make it public.

8) This kind of stuff is a very annoying. The requirement of mass player-interaction in a game where it isn't that easy to find other players (other than randomly searching)... Ain't so good. Especially when said players only get a certain amount of clicks to use on interaction each day.

I'm not sure what else to add myself, you've covered most of it I think. Aside from...

1) A little more customisation on the modules, please. The background patterns aren't that great.

2) At least keep this thing up to date if you're going to leave it on your website.

3) GET LOST ROBOT THING EVERY TIME I LOG ON I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR STUPID VOICE

I'm done.

3) GET LOST ROBOT THING EVERY TIME I LOG ON I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR STUPID VOICE

xD so true... :P

5) I thought the trading list was HUGE? (In fact, It's not even alphabetically ordered which is stupid). There's a reason they don't allow you to hand out certain items, people need to work for them.

Going through the trading list and Rank 5 is PAIN. If someone wants to give away their POS seal or a Home Foundation, then so what? It's just them being nice. But I see what you mean... like a Drone Be was so hard to get at Rank 2 but now I can get lots of them (thanks to higher modules that give me 50+ red bricks per day). However, making a mailable list for so few items... actually, that would work.

2) There's a reason for this, as you've mentioned. They don't expect many hardcore gamers to be playing MLN, rather little kids, so strict moderation has to be in place. Allowing custom messages even as an option for friends wouldn't be acceptable, from my experience kids' friends lists aren't generally dominated by people they actually know (MLN, Club Penguin, etc.), which means anyone could come along and use offensive language or worse. Even having a 'report' button wouldn't be acceptable to a parent who has hidden their 6-year-old from swear words all their life.

Yes, I see what you mean there... now that I'm thinking about the target audience and how I aren't it, it was a silly idea.

4) That'd be a handy feature, I would like it but again if we focus on the target audience, perhaps a little too complex.

Complex? If they accidentally delete the Seal of the POS, they get all the bricks back anyway. There could be a little trash can in the corner that you drag and drop items to and they get churned into bricks. (Some might not be able to be, like Totemic Feed but you know what I mean. I'm talking about things like my horde of Stunt Rally Rank 1 cars.... :P)

And while we're on the subject of organisation, I hated not being able to move items from different sheets of my inventory to a different sheet.

other 'MMO' games such as Drome Racing Challenge.

That doesn't mean it's active. :P And don't remind me about that Drome Racers game, oh pleeaaase no... :P

O.T.
Jimbob, if you ever read this, can you put out a Pet Golem module? Also, since you're one of my two friends, I calculate that every 20 clicks you should get a pipe. DO SO NOW. :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.