The "Arth" Show presents: A (not serious) review about an older Lego clone brand set (9605 Sea Diver from Enlighten)

Arthuriel

Note: As mentioned above this isn't intended as a serious review, but more as a random rant about a set I have at home, which isn't made by TLC.

Note 2: I put this post into the "General" section, because it isn't a real review, but on the other in some way related to TLC or bricks in general (well, it's made out of bricks^^)

Note 3 (2014-Mar-15): Due to the help of JimbobJeffers and jamesster I can confirm with a probability of 99,9%, that this set is based on the 6115-1 Shark Scout from TLC (http://brickset.com/sets/6115-1/Shark-Scout) and that it was made by the company Enlighten as part of the so called "Shifty" series (please click here: (http://www.reasonablyclever.com/bootlegtoys/index.html) on the right pane on: Other --> Legos --> Shifty). (And this set is very shifty indeed xD).

Welcome to the "Arthuriel reviews something, what he found at home" Show with a diving themed set from a Lego clone brand!

gallery_1586_213_32053.png

1. Intro:

You know those toys, which makes you happy, while playing with them? Well, then don't read any further, because today I will show you a set from the

other side of the happiness-scale. How did I even managed to get this set? Well, there was no escape, no warning sign, nothing... it was a... ...uhm...

PRESENT. SURPRISE! HAHAHA, now I'm stuck with this abomination from the deep trenches of the sea forever. Ahaha, Ahaha, haha... ...bahhh *begins to cry*

after some hours of calming down:

Okay, I'm fine now, but the question is: how long? *looking at the set in fear*

I got this set in poland in the early 2000s. I don't have the instructions or the box and the bricks are free from any logos, which could give a hint. My only memory bit,

which could help to indentify the company: Afaik the company logo was a red 2*3 brick and the set on the box cover wasn't the same as the real set in the box.

Here is also an overview of every piece in this set (taking this set apart isn't recommended by me, because some parts will break down very easily):
gallery_1586_213_876139.png

2. The "epic" background story (which is based on true events and totally not made up by me. I swear!):

Bob was the last descendant (sort of...) of diving themed sets like Aquanauts, Atlantis or Diving.

One day everyone in aqua land died of a horrible plague and Bob became the last Aquanaut. Some of you may think, that this was horrible and I will agree with you,

but all those events became a small inconvinience in comparision to the following fact: He wasn't really an Aquanaut. He wasn't even from TLC. No, he was a Derp-o-naut...

...known for their unknown origin and their low attraction to quality, they annoy sailors, environmentalists and everyone else on the world with their behaviour and cheap vehicles,

which break up easily and contribute to the pollution of the oceans. Even their style of living and their health status is worrying, but I will get to that rather quickly...

3. Bob and his submarine-boat-thingy

(replacing the main part of the review with a dialogue, where I talk to myself a fictional figure)

3.1 Introducing Bob:

This is Bob and his "vehicle" (moving pile of garbage). From the long days of hanging around at the water surface (and below) he got a bit bleached out,

although this doesn't quite explain all the colour variations (protip: don't look at the pants, if you want to keep your sanity) ...

The working conditions at his job aren't that good either. I mean look at his hands. They are bloody. Did he fight TEH Kraken with his bare hands and won

(or is he secretly a member of the crab people)? Wow, that's really scary, but I don't know, for how long he can do this, because he has already big cracks in his forearms:
gallery_1586_213_34730.png

Hmm, maybe he isn't that brave after all, because he doesn't look very stable and his pants, oh his pants...

Bob: What's up with my pants?

Me (Oh snap, he noticed me!): Well, they are yellow-more-greenish...

Bob: Nah, that's normal. Although they weren't always that way.

Me: (unsurprised) Wow, really?

Bob: Yeah, orinally they were white, but then they got for some reason yellow and later even green.

Me (rolling my eyes): Okay... (too much information)... ...lets move on... ...TO THE HELMET

3.2 The helmet:

Oh, the helmet. Yes, the helmet... ...a chapter full of fun and frustration...

Me: Hey, Bob. The helmet is hiding half of your face. Could you take it off, please?

Bob: Of course, but it's a bit complicated, because the helmet fits extremely well.

Step 1: Move arms
gallery_1586_213_36300.png

Step 2: ???
gallery_1586_213_268263.png

Step 3: Profit   World Domination   Do something really stupid. Good, mission accomplished.
gallery_1586_213_473351.png

Me: *bashing head against a wall* Oh boy...

Bob: My head got stuck in the machine helmet. Could you help me?

Me: (Why? Just why?) Okay, time to use the screw driver.

Before:

gallery_1586_213_122573.png

After:
gallery_1586_213_37140.png

Bob (after I put his head on his torso again): Thanks, Pal.

Me: I'm not your pal, buddy. Now show me your vehicle in more detail, please.

Bob: Okay, but first I will have to put my helmet on again.

Me: Ah, the stupidity. It burns!

Bob: What?

Me: No, nothing. Just show me your underwater-boat-submarine-thing.

3.3 The "Vehicle" (even an origami boat is more reliable than this):
gallery_1586_213_107717.png

The old Derp-Boat-Submarine, now with the efficient one bladed rotor design!

Buy one and buy three more cuz they gonna break down. Hard and fast.

Our Motto: In space everything is possible, underwater not so much

gallery_1586_213_186597.png

Bob: Well, I must go. My local garbage pile needs me. Into spess!

Me: O_O. Wait. Wait. Wait. I thought, you were a man of diving and now you suddenly want to go into space!

Bob: Yes, into spess!

Me: That makes no sense!

Bob:  Neither do make the colours of my pants.

Me: Aaargh, don't mention your stupid pants again and please go away forever! Wait... ...your view is hindered by your stupid helmet.

Bob: Trust me, I am a man of advanced madness and stupidity. I can find my way home.

gallery_1586_213_284069.png

3.4 Accident, the End and a guest appearance

5 seconds later (at least it's a step up for the vehicle):

gallery_1586_213_504177.png

Bob: What happened and where is my head?

Bob's head: I'm right over here.

gallery_1586_213_215814.png

Bob: I'm coming. In the name of quality and everything else, that I lack of!

gallery_1586_213_4494.png

Bob: Arrrgh...

Me: Noooooo, I can't stand this anymore! Back with this set to the hottest place, I know of: The oven!

Bob: Ahhhhh, have mercy on me...

Me (watching him and his vehicle melting in the oven): Yes, YES. Burn Derp-o-naut! Hmm, though I wonder, where you originally came from...

gallery_1586_213_32830.png

Infomaniac's reaction shot after finding out, that Bob originally lived in the Phanta Sea...

4. Summary:

I heard, that most reviewers here make different categories with a 0-10 scale and an overall score.

So I did the same and also added a commentary to each random number:

Frustration: 7/10

The bricks don't fit well together (though it varies) and some parts are very fragile (like the arms or the levers) and broke down as times passed by (like the rotor).

At least you can throw it against a wall or use it in self defense (the helmet and some parts have sharp edges).

Price: ?/10

Uhm, I don't know. It was a present, but I would guess, that it only costed a few Zloty (the polish currency).

Uglyness: 6/10

I can remember, that the set on the box looked much better. The best example in this regard are the printed parts. On the cover they were multi-coloured,

but in reality they are only made in one colour and even that was appearantly too complicated for the company: the amount of colour is unevenly distributed -.-

Instability: 7/10

It's less stable than some unstable chemicals like, uhm... ...ah, I'm too lazy to look some examples up. I already mentioned, that some bricks are very fragile or

are already broken (the one bladed rotor or the arms).

Overall Hate Score: 7/10

I hate this set, but it's still not enough to lose all sanity and laying around in corner and thinking, that the walls are speaking to you (* insert scene, where I'm sitting

in the corner, turning my head slowly 180 degrees around and saying in a high pitched maniac voice while grinning like a madman: "Arthuriel wannah plaa-yaaah!" *)

That's all for today. Next time (which will probably never happen. MUHAHAHA) I will review another useless thing on the "Arth Show". Maybe even something TLC related.

Bonus feature:

Spoiler

Here is my attempt to recreate the set in LDD. According to the brick counter it only has 27 pieces. Missing/ wrong parts: the bad shark and face prints.
gallery_1586_213_238447.png

Update (2019-09-13): I fixed all the images since they were broken and made a note a bit clearer and yes: Bob and his low budget underwater vehicle still exist (against all odds or rather cheapness).

OH MY GOSH WHY.

Actually, I think I have that same piece with the shark printed on. In the same shoddy quality, no less.

Came in a thrift store grab bag. Don't ask.

I just can't help but feel sorry for that poor minifigure. So cruelly brought into this world in such shoddy material, watching little children cry as he falls apart.

• Like 1

insert scene, where I'm sitting in the corner, turning my head slowly 180 degrees around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwlzqYg9qaw

• Like 2

Wow, thanks for all the helpful or funny comments :D

Looking at the pictures of the original set from TLC I remembered instantly, that the colours of the printed parts on the box cover were very familiar to me and

I also think, that it was a Shifty set (or to be more correct: the company "Enlighten" made a series called "Shifty"), because the picture of the 2*3 brick fits extremely well to my memory.

PS: The site, which listed 6 out of 7 Shifty series sets reminded me somehow of Dragon Ball. Why? Well, you have to collect all the Dragon Balls Shifty series sets to make your biggest wish nightmare come true!

edit (2014-Mar-16): according to this site (http://bloks.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/1079) the missing Shifty series set 9603 is based on the 1733 Shipwrecked Pirate from TLC.

My initial reaction:

:D Good one, Arthuriel. Did he actually die in the oven? Or did you take pity on him? xD

But then:

D8 People actually buy this? Poor souls! This pile of garbage isn't even worth its weight in paper! How come this company has actually succeded in suviving and not failing miserably on the market? :cry:

THE CURSED ARE PUT TO DEATH FOR FREE (in-joke from the Bad Translator)

(even an origami boat is more reliable than this)

Yup.

Paper actually doesn't fall apart in water. :P

• Like 1

Shadowblaze

I feel pretty lucky by not having any LEGO clones.

OH WAIT

A MEGA BLOCKS CAR

I can't live knowing that I have a LEGO clone set.

Shadowblaze fell out of the world

I feel pretty lucky by not having any LEGO clones.

OH WAIT

A MEGA BLOCKS CAR

I can't live knowing that I have a LEGO clone set.

Shadowblaze fell out of the world

That's why sledgehammers were invented ;P

But seriously, we got a whole load of Mega-Blocks once in a third party Lego box. I'm still finding ones in the box. Pour souls who actually bought the Mega-Blocks... :P

The lucky ones go downstairs.

The unlucky ones... well they go outside onto our concrete ramp and meet a rock travelling to hit them. :P

Because Mega-Blocks are so weak, they smash within the first two hits. And then, when they're disintegrated, they go in the bin. If I feel the bin's not evil enough for them, in they go to meet the rock again! :smug:

So don't get me Mega-Blocks for my birthday, then. :P

Shadowblaze

Because Mega-Blocks are so weak, they smash within the first two hits. And then, when they're disintegrated, they go in the bin.

They're useful if you want to release your stress, I see. I'm gonna go find that lame set and a rock, then.

So don't get me Mega-Blocks for my birthday, then. :P

Okay, I'm taking note. June 3... Buy... Aiden... some... Mega-Blocks.

Looks, like all of you loved my review and yes:  I also tried to make good pictures :D.

Maybe I should do a second review with another clone brand set, although I don't know, which company has the highest potential for making really bad sets or if they are mostly equal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.