A Super Angry Nerdy Rant About Guardians of the Galaxy

Minifig9292

Minifig9292

This post contains dirty language and a whole lot of cursing because I'm super pissed right now. So yeah. Beware of that.

I love the Guardians of the Galaxy, they've been my favorite team for a few years now and I am super hyped for the movie.
But this needs to be said.
Micheal Bendis f****ing ruined the Guardians of the Galaxy comics.
The original v2 series written by Andy Lanning and Dan Abnett is what I consider to be some of the greatest comics ever written.
All the characters were written damn well. All have appealing designs and great, yet seemingly conflicting, personalities but Lanning and Adnett made all the characters work together and it was beautiful.

Then f****ing Micheal Bendis shows up.

Star-Lord got hit the hardest.
He went through a ton of character growth that lasted through the 80s and into 2010. He started out as a naive guy with an ego, he developed into a bit of a joker, but primarily a headstrong leader who gets s*** done.
Wellp Bendis said f**** that and made Star-Lord some whiny little b**** with daddy issues. He also has a Justin Beiber haircut.
King-JSon-and-Peter-Quill-580x323.jpg
"HEY DAD"
"YO WHAT THE f****S WITH THE HOTTIES? THEY'RE PROBABLY DIRTY AS FUC"
"WELL IM GETTIN MY d*** WET AND YU AINT, LOL FAG"

Also the retconn they did to Star-Lord is f****ing terrible.
In the original series, Star-Lord and Nova sacrificed themselves to kill Thanos. It was a great ass scene and a good farewell to the characters.
thanos+imperative+issue+6+007.jpg
starlord.jpg
Brings a tear to my eye almost.
They sent themselves along with Thanos to the "cancerverse". A dimension that is inescapable and full of all sorts of evil crazy s***. When you go to the cancerverse, you don't get out, not without some sort of crazy explanation.
So, knowing this, it would take a lot for it to make sense Star-Lord could come back from killing himself and then having his body thrown into the cancerverse.
WELLP NOT FOR BENDIS
MRUDIu2.jpg
Oh no, because explaining a massive f****ing plot hole would make sense.
Oh and Thanos and Nova haven't come back from being dead yet. Only Star-Lord because f**** logic amirite?

The other guardians got screwed up as well.
Rocket Raccoon has massive chunks of back-story cut and was then written as a joke character.
I know I know, he's a f****ing raccoon, wasn't he always a joke character? Well actually no. In the good GotG comics, Rocket was the backbone of the team. He believed in Star-Lord's vision and ideals more than Star-Lord himself. When s*** got heavy and the team started o fall apart, he was there to keep everyone together. Sure there was that moment of "what the f**** is that a raccoon?" but that would quickly pass as Rocket proved himself to be more than just some talking raccoon with a gun.
Now Gamora and Drax just aren't themselves here either. Drax is just like a mini-hulk, and Gamora went from being the deadliest woman in the galaxy to a sub-damsel.
Groot is also almost nonexistent and hardly does s***.

Another issue is that, In the good GotG comics, the team has a purpose. They were formed by Star-Lord after some bigass war happened. They were there to prevent such a war/threat/otherbads*** from happening again. There's more to that, but I don't want to make this longer than it has to be.
In the Bendis run, the GotG are just together because lol Idontf****ingknow.
The issue here is that the threat the GotG were made to stop was, well, stopped. Star-Lord died stopping it and the team disbanded. All the characters went their separate ways and had their own stories.
Of course all that was retconned by Bendis because f**** you.

So all in all, Bendis f****ed up the only thing I get a raging nerd boner over. Thank f**** they are ignoring his bulls*** for the movie.

If you want to read Guardians of the Galaxy to understand what is going on for the up coming movie, do NOT read the Bendis run.
Read Guardians of the Galaxy: Legacy. It is one of the best comics I have ever read and it needs some serious attention.

It looks like this

51Sl1B6kvtL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's getting a re-release on August 5th I think. So time travel into the future and get it. Also tell me how the movie is when you get back.

• Like 2

Minifig9292

That trailer only showed the comedic side of the film, the one next month or two will actually give us an idea of what it really will be like.

• Like 2

I certainly hope so, I've been mostly a DC comics fan until I saw most of the Marvel films in one collective clump, that got me to read a few of Marvel's graphic novels (which could have been spurred on by playing Lego Marvel Superheroes too :P).

But nice rant and I look forward to the film's next trailer.

• 4 months later...
Minifig9292

Update:

The movie was very good and the comics still suck.

Now to crawl back into my hole and not post on this forum for another few months.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.