Immobile vehicles possibility to become Mobile

Ben24x7

Yep, another topic after abandoning my previous one... sorry... AND sorry if the title makes no sense...

Anyway, I (sometimes if bored) watch videos on YouTube with awesome Lego layouts ranging from Trains to Citys to Space, etc. So, if there is one thing easy to notice is that the only moving things on the layout are either Trains or buildings like entertainment venues spinning or whatnot.

VEHICLES (apart from Trains) on the other hand are stationary. And I thought up a way of how to make cars, trucks, buses, etc moving... As I shall describe now...:

The road the vehicle is placed on is split into two layers;

• Brick built road on top with a long one or two stud wide gap
  • and another layer UNDER the road with placed track

Then get a pack of Power Functions (or take some from a set) but this is what you need:

• A battery (or two if the vehicle has a function)
  • A receiver ( '' )
  • A train bogy (All you need is one)
  • And a Train controller (YES, a TRAIN controller)

Attach the battery and the receiver to the sides of the Train bogy and attach the leads as follows: Battery - Receiver - Train Bogy. Because the Bogy is stuck to the underneath of a Train Base there SHOULD be a Technic Pin sticking out the bogy facing upwards, place a few 1x1x2 tube pieces and some Double sided Technic Pins until a Tube piece can be seen sticking out of the gap in the road (the gap MUST be inline with the middle of the track OTHERWISE this won't work.

Take the vehicle you wish to move (in this case the Garbage Truck from set number 70805 so I can also explain how to make the vehicle use it's functions) and place a 2x2 plate with Technic Pin underneath and stick this to the bottom of the vehicle. Before continuing, try and (somehow) place two 2x2 plates with ball sockets to the vehicle, one in front and one in the back and it must be able to go through the gap in the road.

Now attach the vehicle to the Tube piece sticking out, turn the vehicle the way you want it to go and make sure that the ball socket pieces go through the gap in the road, this'll stop the vehicle from unexpected rotations/turns and also make sure it faces the right way. Turn on the battery and turn on the Train remote and check that the vehicle goes backwards and forwards along straight track, if it works then it is ready, if it doesn't then that might be MY fault.

There can be around five pieces of road that can reassemble different movements for the vehicle:

• Straight Track for straight roads
  • Curved Track for turning (use wedges for the gap's edges)
  • Junctions (+ junctions are easy, make a curved "trail gap" for a T junction)
  • Parking (uses Points)
  • And Weaving through still traffic (uses the 2011 bendy Track thing)

Meanwhile, here is how you can make a vehicle perform it's function(s possibly). You will need:

• A battery box
  • A receiver
  • And any Motors, Lights, etc that you need

First, this can only be done for vehicles like trucks and (possibly) buses as cars ranging from Sports to Taxis are too small to hold all bits of the Power Functions you need (again, I will use the Garbage Truck from set number 70805). Next, free up some space in the vehicle, if you have plates or whatnot going through theCab, Container, or whatever then take them off and replace them so you have a nice good space in the Vehicle for the Power Functions stuff.

For the set I am using for the "demonstration" (Then again you won't SEE anything) there is a Door in the back that swivels upwards and down at the spin of a gear. Using a motor we can control the Door via the Train Remote control and remove the gear at the side. Once done turn On the battery and see if it works. Do note that I don't think lights will work with the Train Remote. If it works then you have finished all you need to do.

You may now start setting up the layout.

Pros:

• Moving vehicles that ARN'T TRAINS
  • The ability to function without the use of human hands on the vehicle
  • Gives something new for people to see at layouts

Cons:

• Not ALL road vehicles can do this
  • Because the road pieces the vehicles drive along are brick built for the gaps all other roads that look similar need to be brick built too
  • It is best that there is only ONE vehicle PER TRACK
  • The gaps will be visible (unless the road is pure black)
  • Only works for road vehicles, Air will be harder and because of Power Functions Batteries and such then it is best that this isn't used for REAL water, water made from placed bricks will be okay but the water will be practically "drained" if loose pilled pieces (like a sea of dropped blue studs) and used as water.

All in all I think it is best to have a go if you have the bricks. Now, personally I don't have Power Functions, nor Lego Trains using Power Functions, or enough bricks to build a brick built road so if any of my information in this guide is incorrect let me know.

I also believe this might be a bit complicated for some people without the use of diagrams so if you want a diagram I'll send you an LDD file showing what I mean.

Hope this might become useful for anyone out there.

--Ben24x7---

You know, all LEGO vehicles are mobile with the power of your hands. I don't think I've seen a LEGO vehicle to date which I couldn't push.

You know, all LEGO vehicles are mobile with the power of your hands. I don't think I've seen a LEGO vehicle to date which I couldn't push.

I think this is more in the context of big displays like you would see at conventions and such. Being able to get cars to move on their own would make the display feel more alive.

Interesting method you have developed here, Ben24x7. It would be cool to see in action.

To be honest, I'm posting here mostly because the topic reminded me of the cars in Miniland at LEGOLAND California. Most of them are stationary, but a few moved about without any visible force guiding them. I have it in my head that they were being pulled along by magnets underground, but I don't know if that is something I heard or theorized. Whatever the case, it certainly is something not done with LEGO parts, but whatever the method is, it is impressive in the illusion it creates.

I don't think I've seen a LEGO vehicle to date which I couldn't push.

original.jpg

Is this a challenge? Buy me an aeroplane ticket and watch me work.
  • Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.