3D Printed Lego

Mantra

I know I'm new here, but I've been thinking for a while on this and am interested to see what your opinions would be.

How do you guys (or gals) think Lego will survive 3D printing? No matter what, we will reach a time when they're affordable and accurate enough to print identical Lego blocks.

Even if it became piracy to print Lego, people would still do it - so what are your thoughts?

• Like 1

Well, firstly, LEGO states that 'the moulds used in production are accurate to within five my (=0.005mm) and this accuracy means than only 18 elements in every million products fail to meet the high quality standard'.

Sources: http://education.lego.com/en-us/about-us/lego-education-worldwide/making-lego-bricks

I think it's going to be a long time before commercial 3D printers hit that level of standard.

Next up... Clone LEGO brands. They already exist, and even so LEGO is the number one most valuable toy company. While LEGO hasn't had a lot of success in fighting off competitors, they still seem to be the number one choice for people to buy bricks from. LEGO is a well-established brand - just as Google is the first place most people go to when they want to search for something, LEGO is the first place many people go to buy bricks.

But that doesn't answer your question completely - if 3D printing becomes accurate enough, people will just print their own bricks won't they? My answer: Yes, probably, and that goes against the 'LEGO will never have a strong competitor' message I just gave above. If people can do it, they will, and that may hurt LEGO as a company. But, the thing is... When 3D printing becomes that accurate, it's not just LEGO that is going to have issues. ALL toy companies are going to have issues.

For that reason, I can see only two outcomes:

1. Some kind of new laws are introduced to prevent the home manufacture of toys cloned from toy companies.
  2. Toy companies die out and go bust, just as corner shops died out with the introduction of supermarkets years ago.

And, with that, I hereby take off my hat solemnly and hope that the world isn't that cruel. That 3D printing doesn't destroy toy companies. That LEGO endures, as do the childhoods of many generations to come.

• Like 4

I doubt three-dimensional printers could possibly recreate standard elements anywhere near the quality of a LEGO brick, at least any time soon. However, I do expect builders to replicate more exclusive or nonexistent parts, particularly Minifigure accessories. Because most accessories will not face serious stress, quality may not be too much of an issue, as long as the printed elements have the necessary LEGO aesthetics (color, texture). 

Obviously the LEGO Group has no legal right to stop a builder from printing clone bricks for his own non-commercial use. As a purist, I never use third-party elements, and I am disgusted by the knock-offs, particularly those which clone some of the most uniquely LEGO elements (Death to DeCool)! That does not mean I could not be bribed... I am looking forward to the day I can economically print the Nexus Force Faction Gear from LEGO Universe!

• Like 2

No single person can make bricks cheaper than Lego. To make them cheaply you need a functioning company. Also, how are Lego bricks made anyway? Injection moulding? 3-D printing? Whatever it is, it is certainly cost-effective.

What I can see happening is that a couple of extremely avid (not to mention rich) fans get a 3-D printer and make their own special blocks; for that MOC that needs just this brick, or for the Nexus Tower (:P Brigs).

Even if it became piracy to print Lego

Wha...? Lego can't trademark the stud design, so it's perfectly legal.... Lego might have trademarked the LEGO on the top of the studs and some extravagant shapes (probably unlikely)...

Evil clone ripoffs that are worse than Flappy Bird knock-offs often market as being 'compatible with Lego.' You can make bricks for Lego, but you can't make Lego bricks. If you see the difference.

That's my >9000 ZIM for the moment. :P

• Like 1

3D printing is in no way on par with Lego quality, mainly because you cant use the same ABS that Lego uses.

I had some custom weapons designed by a friend printed over shapeways, and the plastic is grainy, absorbs model colors to a certain extent (due to the grainy surface) and is no way near as durable.

It is nice for a very limited set of parts (since its pretty expensive), but for mass-producing parts it is just not good.

The next problem would be that you need a printer that can print really small details, and these things are expensive. It would be easier to get a mold cut and have the pieces molded somewhere.

Also, when printing these small details they would break/use off really quick because of the strain on the plastic.

And actually, Lego patented the brick idea/design, but the patent wore out after 20 years, and since then we have clone brands.

3D printing may have some use in the custom sector, but then again, only professional machines are able to produce the amount of detail needed.

It is useful if you want a small amount of pieces that wont be in the spotlight, but you will not be able to mass-produce your own bricks.

• Like 2

Another thing to note is just HOW accurate the manufacturing of LEGO bricks must be. It's on par with aircraft parts.

There is no way there will be consumer 3D printers in the foreseeable future which can pull off the precision of LEGO's machines. The clone brands can't even pull it off properly.

• Like 3

Thanks for all your responses, it's definitely reassuring to read your opinions on the matter.

For that reason, I can see only two outcomes:

1. Some kind of new laws are introduced to prevent the home manufacture of toys cloned from toy companies.
  2. Toy companies die out and go bust, just as corner shops died out with the introduction of supermarkets years ago.

I'm sure there are already laws in place for that, it doesn't stop people pirating music/games/movies though. And of course I'd hate for that to happen to LEGO - I was wondering whether, in a time when 3D printing has reached its peak, LEGO could sell a service to remotely print your own products if you wanted. It may not be ABS just yet, but I could see something working around that.

I doubt three-dimensional printers could possibly recreate standard elements anywhere near the quality of a LEGO brick, at least any time soon.

Not being a fan of third party bricks, I hope this doesn't horrify you - 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/04/05/how-a-geek-dad-and-his-3d-printer-aim-to-liberate-legos/

It's already getting there and at a faster pace than I thought, I love the idea of making your own minifigure accessories though, there could be a lot done there.

I didn't mean piracy in literally copying LEGO bricks, as I'm aware they couldn't renew their patent, just more people copying sets and maybe selling them off elsewhere, or keeping them for themselves rather than buying them etc.

It's on par with aircraft parts.

3D Printing may not be that accurate yet, but it's still already in use for building houses, prosthetics and guns (though that's illegal :P).

(I don't know how to multi-quote on here, hope that's not an issue)

(I don't know how to multi-quote on here, hope that's not an issue)

Just select the text (from left to right using the cursor) and click 'Quote' on the little box that pops up. :)

Not being a fan of third party bricks, I hope this doesn't horrify you - <link here>

... I want to know. Do those bricks that join Lego to whatever fail after a couple of months? What happens with UV? Some other brands basically disintegrate afterwards (they certainly do if I find them in my Lego collection :smug:)

It's an interesting idea, but I don't see how they can meet the quality of Lego even for a fairly cheap price. Of course, practically anyone with a fireplace and some plastic can get better quality that some of those knock-offs... :P

And they use the word... I shudder to think it... 'Legos.' THEY MUST DIE NOW. And it was even in the main title. What a load of rubbish.

[/OffTopic]

just more people copying sets and maybe selling them off elsewhere,

They can't do that for a good price. Sure, if they somehow managed to get to the standard of Lego bricks (quality-wise) then they might be able to sell a classic spaceship (McStudz faints :P) which is no longer in stores. Oh, it'd be for a hefty price but it'd still be something very very similar.

keeping them for themselves rather than buying them

As I said before, mass production is quite a bit cheaper that a single 3D printer. Yes, they might be able to make sets, but they'd be very expensive.

the plastic is grainy, absorbs model colors to a certain extent (due to the grainy surface) and is no way near as durable.

He summed it up pretty well.

The Ace Railgun

3D printing currently doesn't produce the same quality as LEGO's bricks, I agree there, but in the future unless some laws are put in place printing a company's products illegally could become a problem.

The only thing I can think to use 3D printed Lego for is fictional pieces like from Lego Universe. Otherwise I would just order off of Bricklink.

Nothing really new in that article but it's something.

Hmm...

construction bricks made by other companies tend to be much flimsier. An explosion in rudimentary homemade Legos would pose a much greater threat to those firms first.

1) D: It said 'Legos!' BLAHSPHEMY!

2) Muhahahahaha.... :smug: Those ripoffs are going downnn... :P

That graph... Over half a million Star Wars sets? Well, that makes sense, seeing as it's been going for a loooong time. Even though some sets have been repeated several times over the course of the years *COUGH X-Wing anyone COUGH*.

That's an interesting article... Hmmm...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.