LEGO Rock Raiders Diorama

Jimbob

The last of my dioramas is pretty much finished! I have no intention on working on any more dioramas now, at least not for a long time...

Anywho, as discussed in >this topic, for a while now I've wanted to make a nice display for my Rock Raiders sets. I haven't actually made much progress since then, but still a few things have been added and a lot has been rearranged. I don't want to make the paper-mache walls and all that I mentioned in the topic, but the zuzzy mats haven't left my mind yet. I just need the money, which after these last two dioramas I don't have any of. :P

Enough talk, here's an overview:

gallery_5738_370_198209.jpg

And many more pictures in the spoiler below.

gallery_5738_370_387213.jpg

I believe I can fly! Actually, this Tunnel Transport can, it's just gotten caught in a string net.

I would have used fishing wire as it isn't as obvious, but again the price of it is a little out of my range right now. Plus I'd only use the first foot or so.

When I get a transparent part I'll replace it with the current stand for Chief's Tunnel Scout.

gallery_5738_370_1279965.jpg

Docs has been out and recovered a LOT of precious Brickonium. With the Tunnel Transport already carrying ore and Energy Crystals of its own, the Cargo Carrier is the only option to get Docs across the river.

Oh, and Dim's poking out to say hi.

gallery_5738_370_661265.jpg

Bandit is passing by the Docks at the corner of the diorama. I'm aware that the walls of the Docks aren't quite accurate, PeabodySam explained to me how to correct it a while back, I just need to order the correct parts.

gallery_5738_370_60821.jpg

Dum was attacking the base, but has been lured away by a beautiful glowy green thing.

gallery_5738_370_707788.jpg

The guy without whom so many generic Rock Raiders would be dead, Chief himself is flying around the cave in his Tunnel Scout.

gallery_5738_370_409791.jpg

The Tool Store, as seen in-game, not the beta version.

gallery_5738_370_1835948.jpg

An overview of the left side of the diorama. To the right of the photo you can see one of two Electric Fences in the setup. The Transport Truck's driver is also eyeing up the Support Station.

gallery_5738_370_1565135.jpg

Dom's found the Power Station and is raiding its precious load!

gallery_5738_370_1670438.jpg

Not to worry, Jet's flying up behind to shoo him away.

There you have it. So much turquoise, it's beautiful. :3

Oh, and one last thing... Here's what I get to wake up to every morning now: :D

gallery_5738_370_1183788.jpg

If there's one thing I'll say, it's that it's one heck of a dusting project every couple of weeks...

Yeah, there's some random painting I did a while ago on the wall too.

All I can say is "damn thats impressive".  When I was younger and just got the game I tried to build a couple of the buildings, but didnt have the parts, so they got rather... colorful. But then again, shortly after the millenium my age didnt even have two digits and Bricklink was unknown to me.

I especially like the power station. Maybe put the buildings on light grey plates?

Speaking of Bricklink, do you know a supplier with a decent amount of RR-themed bricks? I hate making orders at 5 different sellers for a small build.

All I can say is "damn thats impressive".  When I was younger and just got the game I tried to build a couple of the buildings, but didnt have the parts, so they got rather... colorful. But then again, shortly after the millenium my age didnt even have two digits and Bricklink was unknown to me.

Thanks! I was little older than a toddler when the Rock Raiders sets were out myself, so I understand the colourful buildings. :P I also tried building a base myself and it too turned out with lots of pwetty colours.

I especially like the power station. Maybe put the buildings on light grey plates?

Ah, unfortunately the large bricks (e.g. the 12 x 24 canister of the Power Station) aren't available in light grey. The smaller bases are, but as you can see from the screenshot below, the bases are dark grey anyway:

PowerStation.png

I appreciate the suggestion though. :thumbsup:

Speaking of Bricklink, do you know a supplier with a decent amount of RR-themed bricks? I hate making orders at 5 different sellers for a small build.

I don't, no, sorry. When purchasing my parts I simply created a large wanted list of everything I needed, then Bricklink lists the shops with the most parts in your list. I chose from the sellers in my country and continued narrowing it down, so in the end I had to order from several different sellers to get all the parts I needed.

Yeah, don't buy off Bricklink to make a tiny model. :P

"Damn that's impressive". Yup.

So much turquoise, seriously, that what I was thinking too :P It's a bit sad that they stopped using that color after LRR, though.

Did you make new sets, along with rebuilding the ones from the game? I didn't play the game a lot so I can't recognize them in your majestic work.

"Damn that's impressive". Yup.

So much turquoise, seriously, that what I was thinking too :P It's a bit sad that they stopped using that color after LRR, though.

Why thank you. :) Yeah, it's a shame they got rid of turquoise, but to be honest I don't see many sets that could make use of it. Having said that, if you can pay the price, the Maersk Line has brought it back somewhat.

Did you make new sets, along with rebuilding the ones from the game? I didn't play the game a lot so I can't recognize them in your majestic work.

Every main set that was originally released is included (i.e. I'm missing the promotional once and the smaller figure packs). On top of that, the following sets were rebuilt from the game:

• Cargo Carrier
  • Docks
  • Electric Fence
  • Power Station
  • Tool Store
  • Tunnel Scout

I used the instructions I made for this forum when I first joined, >here.

O.T.

Speaking of which, I don't think I ever posted an introduction topic!

Ah, unfortunately the large bricks (e.g. the 12 x 24 canister of the Power Station) aren't available in light grey. The smaller bases are, but as you can see from the screenshot below, the bases are dark grey anyway:

I appreciate the suggestion though. :thumbsup:

I was referring to the power lines (?dont know the english name?), the light grey thingies that shine blue. :P

Would add a bit of a base for them so they dont look too random.

*cue Slimy Slug noise* Oooh, oooooh!

That is beautful. We wantses it, yessss.

Also, why are the monsters called 'Dom?' And you once called him

Dim

, by the Cargo Carrier.

Now, how many bricks do you have left after an Alpha Team AND a RR diorama? If there are any left over, I'd be happy to have them... :P

Really I love your collection of Rock Raiders models. Unfortunately I never got all the sets. I love this color scheme and all the turquoise, dark grey, light grey, yellow, black and transparent green color combinations... just wonderful. I'm looking forward to see your sets in a real cavern diorama!

I was referring to the power lines (?dont know the english name?), the light grey thingies that shine blue.

Stromverbindungen are power paths in english ;)

Dim

, by the Cargo Carrier.

These are just names... there's no deeper sense of it, I guess :P

Dim

, by the Cargo Carrier.

These are just names... there's no deeper sense of it, I guess :P

I assume the same. There are three monsters and he referred to them as Dim, Dum and Dom.

Anyway the diorama looks great! :D I see there is more consistency now as far as Pilots piloting things and Drivers driving things... they all still have the same faces but that's fine.

The only criticisms I have would be the slight inaccuracies in some of the game buildings, but eh. For example, the pice on top of the support station is the one with hazard stripes which can be found in the Tunnel Transport. And don't get me started on the docks........

But I digress, it still looks awesome.

I was referring to the power lines (?dont know the english name?), the light grey thingies that shine blue. :P

Would add a bit of a base for them so they dont look too random.

Ah, the Power Paths! Yes, I agree, that'd look nice. Bricklink has the baseplates and tiles (for the outer glow) for not too shabby a price, maybe I'll grab some if I have the spare money.

*cue Slimy Slug noise* Oooh, oooooh!

That is beautful. We wantses it, yessss.

Now, how many bricks do you have left after an Alpha Team AND a RR diorama? If there are any left over, I'd be happy to have them... :P

I appreciate your 'oooh'-ing and Golem-ing! :P As later stated, the three Rock Monsters are called Dim, Dum (yes, it's not correctly spelled as Dumb) and Dom. Spur-of-the-moment naming as I was uploading them to RRU, but I'll keep them.

Haha, while I do have a few parts here and there, they are actually intended to complete the remaining structures such as the Super Teleport and Geological Center, should I ever get the urge to add more to my collection. But I highly doubt that'll happen any time soon, if I'm going to buy any old LEGO then it'll be LEGO Racers next.

Really I love your collection of Rock Raiders models. Unfortunately I never got all the sets. I love this color scheme and all the turquoise, dark grey, light grey, yellow, black and transparent green color combinations... just wonderful. I'm looking forward to see your sets in a real cavern diorama!

Many thanks to your comments too, alan! Indeed, Rock Raiders does look wonderful, especially (in my opinion) in comparison to the Power Miners colour scheme. Not too in-your-face, but bright and LEGO-y nonetheless.

Anyway the diorama looks great! :D I see there is more consistency now as far as Pilots piloting things and Drivers driving things... they all still have the same faces but that's fine.

The only criticisms I have would be the slight inaccuracies in some of the game buildings, but eh. For example, the pice on top of the support station is the one with hazard stripes which can be found in the Tunnel Transport. And don't get me started on the docks........

But I digress, it still looks awesome.

Oh dang, I completely forgot about getting different faces! That'll be on my order-filler parts list when I next shop on Bricklink. ;)

Inaccuracies are rife, a-yes. I know the Docks is off, but I didn't realise the top of the Support Station was meant to have a pattern? My models are based primarily on the in-game ones, not the renders that came in the manual, which for example is why the Cargo Carrier's turquoise slopes on its sides don't have the decal on them. So maybe that accounts for some of the differences.

I know the Docks is off, but I didn't realise the top of the Support Station was meant to have a pattern? My models are based primarily on the in-game ones, not the renders that came in the manual, which for example is why the Cargo Carrier's turquoise slopes on its sides don't have the decal on them.

Nope, the Support Station has the hazard stripes in-game as well

(I used dropbox cause I know you can't view imgur.)

Sorry, but for some reason I woke up this morning feeling very anal about other people getting the in-game models wrong and I don't know why. Maybe cause I just tried to build an SMLC and noticed how different mine was than the two posted here. I want to address this discrepancy between different interpretations of these models somehow, but I'm working out how at the moment.

Nope, the Support Station has the hazard stripes in-game as well

(I used dropbox cause I know you can't view imgur.)

Sorry, but for some reason I woke up this morning feeling very anal about other people getting the in-game models wrong and I don't know why. Maybe cause I just tried to build an SMLC and noticed how different mine was than the two posted here. I want to address this discrepancy between different interpretations of these models somehow, but I'm working out how at the moment.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Well, this is LEGO and I'm not going to go crazy about getting it perfect (see: the LEGO movie), but if I get the opportunity to acquire that part on Bricklink I'll be sure to.

No worries, as for showing the differences... Could you not just create both models and compare them? Between Oboe Shoes, PeabodySam and myself we already have most of the models in one form or another, so you'd have a head start already.

No worries, as for showing the differences... Could you not just create both models and compare them? Between Oboe Shoes, PeabodySam and myself we already have most of the models in one form or another, so you'd have a head start already.

That's possible... i just finished my version of the SMLC, Usingthe in-game model, the manual render (thanks for linking that), and both PeabodySam and OboeShoes's models as reference. I think I have made it as accurate as possible and it differs considerably from both of thier recreations... I should be posting it sometime soon.

As for the rest of the models, well, the SMLC, the Docks, and the Power Station are the models I have the most issue with, and PeabodySam seems to have the Power Station near perfect. I have a few small changes to make to his docks though......

Anyway this isn't the place to discuss this.

Hey hey hey, that is a really nice looking RR diorama you've put together! The models look awesome too! Are you going to paste some RR cavern background on the walls of the shelf? I think it would give it a even more cool look.

One thing you could do to improve the diorama is to give the minifigs various different poses. It makes it look a little dull with all the minifigs either just standing up or sitting down in their vehicles. Perhaps give them other different poses like trying to defend the buildings from the Rock Monsters with laser beam guns, or co-ordinating the unloading of resources from the vehicles. You can check various LEGO set box art for inspiration for different poses.

I'm looking forward to more photos of your diorama!

Thanks Mantra! What a reaction. :D

Thanks too RRChief, I did originally plan on decorating the walls in some way, it's just a case of getting the paints I guess. That, or I could try getting a canvas print of some LRR background? I've considered printing out a high-quality tiled ground texture from the game too, to put at the base of the diorama, instead of the mat I previously wanted.

I would love to get more minifigures and give them various actions to perform! Again, it's just a case of money I guess. I'll also trying making the current figures a little more lively as you suggested too, thanks. :thumbsup:

I appreciate both your comments!

• 1 year later...

unbelievably well done!! how did you get all these pieces? like the green transparent containers, the caution painted sloped bricks for the electric fence...

Thank you, and welcome to RRU eBell93! Everything that was custom-built (e.g. Support Station, Tunnel Transport) was made with parts purchased from Bricklink. It cost a little bit, but it's worth it. I also bought 100 Energy Crystals off a local seller which you can see bundled into various buckets. :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.