The LEGO Movie Discussion Topic

emily

• 5 months later...

Concept art for Vitruvius and Wyldstyle on this blog.

I like the worn out face alternative for Vitruvius' blindness, but his glowy orb eyes add a lot of character that I wouldn't want taken away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this screencap ProfessorBrickkeeper nabbed so that it isn't lost buried in the gallery. Thanks, I totally missed this.

gallery_5463_291_112520.jpg

If you could get a clear screen of the Thunder screaming his head off as he flees the golf ball, too, that would be awesome. I tried myself but kept getting stuck with a blur slightly but noticeably obscuring his face.

• Like 2

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Going back through all my screenshots of Johnny Thunder from TLM (Uploaded to a gallery here), I came across yet another example of the antics of the Thunder which I missed the first time going over my images.

med_gallery_5463_464_93075.jpg

Oh, by the way, could somebody with proper permissions please move ?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent> to ?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

• Like 2

Quite a lot of images there... All somewhat non-standard expressions. Here's one I snapped for Brickipedia earlier today that's a bit more of a normal face. It's only a single frame or so, after Ma and Pa cop hug Good/Bad Cop, so I'm not surprised it went unnoticed.

Johnny_Thunder_Emmet_Awards.png

• Like 2

Oh, thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't been paying attention to the Emmet Awards at all.

Johnny and the Zookeeper definitely seem to be there as a couple, they usually glance at each other to share their reaction to whatever antics are going down, most importantly in the instance when they hold hands as they describe the premise of the Ma and Pa Cop award and how it is about showing your love for family. This actually works out really well, coincidence or no; the Zookeepers bio indicates she looked after the dinos the adventurers brought back from Dino Island, giving a neat premise as to how the two met.

And of course he flirts with the girl standing on the other side of him. Stay classy, Johnny.

• Like 1

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Why do I feel that sometime soon someone will send a message to Lego saying "Now, give Johnny a voice"?

Actually, (and I believe this was mentioned earlier in this topic) the animation co-director/supervisor on TLM, Chris McKay, was signed onto The LEGO Movie sequel as director when the sequel was announced. In an interview around the time of the TLM premiere, McKay actually talked about a few characters he wanted to either make cameos in TLM2 or characters he wanted to have as more important characters. When he said this, he specifically said that "I’d love to resurrect Johnny Thunder!â€. With ideas like that, I think TLM is in good hands. (But alas, no mention of the Infomaniac! D:)

Oh, and the interview is here: http://www.moviefanatic.com/2014/02/the-lego-movie-exclusive-what-characters-for-sequel/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4hXFl2ICVI&list=UUp_mZttcKNIcUBVdi0wTdIA

Set 70818: The set that comes with waffle, alternate-construction Unikitty, Benny, happy-faced Lord Business, one of the film's most iconic props and GHOST VITRUVIUS. All for $20.00. And Emmet's car is there too because, hey, why not?

Can you tell I'm excited? Because I'm excited.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have more faith in the Ninjago (and now Batman) movies than The LEGO Movie 2.

Obviously, The LEGO Movie came out pretty darn well. I'm uneasy about a sequel attempting to top it, or even live up to it - the original movie's big reveal is, well, revealed, and its message told. What could a sequel do that isn't just more of the same superficial content, without the real meat of the first movie? Good animation, maybe some fun writing... But what story is there to tell that wouldn't come across as some sort of awkward footnote? It'd need to take some other angle.

The Ninjago and Batman movies (hopefully) are setting out to do different things. If the Ninjago movie's teaser is any indication of the final product (and I hope it is), it's a very self-aware movie that pokes fun at its source material without mercy. And if the Batman movie ends up doing the same sort of thing with the DC universe (or perhaps beyond the DC universe)... I think I might enjoy that, at least once or twice...

I'm not trying to predict the future - we don't know what these movies will ultimately end up being. In the long term, what I'm afraid of happening is LEGO movies falling into the same trap as TT games: Start out with a solid product, iterate on it and try different things, become some sort of staple, and eventually just end up milking the series with filler/gimmicks once the ideas on how to evolve and improve on the core gameplay/movie equivalent of gameplay have run dry. Time will tell.

• Like 4

I have more faith in the Ninjago (and now Batman) movies than The LEGO Movie 2.

Obviously, The LEGO Movie came out pretty darn well. I'm uneasy about a sequel attempting to top it, or even live up to it - the original movie's big reveal is, well, revealed, and its message told. What could a sequel do that isn't just more of the same superficial content, without the real meat of the first movie? Good animation, maybe some fun writing... But what story is there to tell that wouldn't come across as some sort of awkward footnote? It'd need to take some other angle.

The Ninjago and Batman movies (hopefully) are setting out to do different things. If the Ninjago movie's teaser is any indication of the final product (and I hope it is), it's a very self-aware movie that pokes fun at its source material without mercy. And if the Batman movie ends up doing the same sort of thing with the DC universe (or perhaps beyond the DC universe)... I think I might enjoy that, at least once or twice...

I'm not trying to predict the future - we don't know what these movies will ultimately end up being. In the long term, what I'm afraid of happening is LEGO movies falling into the same trap as TT games: Start out with a solid product, iterate on it and try different things, become some sort of staple, and eventually just end up milking the series with filler/gimmicks once the ideas on how to evolve and improve on the core gameplay/movie equivalent of gameplay have run dry. Time will tell.

Fair enough. I guess I'm looking at it from a different perspective. As someone else put it, "The one thing I thought this version of Batman didn't need was backstory." Obviously the focus of this spinoff won't necessarily be Batman's origin, but the underlying thought process holds true for me. Batman, as a character in the LEGO movie, is an element that contributes to the creative piece that is the whole of the film. He's a great character; he's funny, he is a great foil to Emmet, he's a tribute to a pillar of popular culture. But he is all of those things in order to contribute to the greater picture - the film isn't about Batman, it's about father-son relationships. Batmans is one of many pieces that builds up the narrative around that core.

A Batman spin-off isolates him from the rest of the equation and puts him in the spotlight. It sounds nice at first glance (who doesn't want to see more wacky Batman antics?), but when the soul of the film is "it's about Batman, who is the funny person because reasons," it robs it of a lot of potential to emotionally connect with the audience. It might be a fun romp, maybe we'll get a good parody of DC comics out of it, but I can't think of a spin off in existence that maintains the emotional core of the source material (though I would love for this film to buck the trend).

As far as TLM 2, I have more faith in it because I believe that they will be able to do something different. There are ways to create a sequel that stays true thematically but still does new things - the relationship between father and son is ripe with topics and angles from which to pick, and a new story could potentially grow out of that. That's not to say I'm entirely confident that the writers will actually accomplish this - but it's nice to hope.

As for the Ninjago film, I'm cautiously optimistic, but at this point we know so very little about how the film will be approached that I don't want to judge it in any regard. I agree that we're definitely in for a treat if it follows the style of the teaser, though.

It might be a fun romp, maybe we'll get a good parody of DC comics out of it, but I can't think of a spin off in existence that maintains the emotional core of the source material

And I wouldn't want it to. We've got The LEGO Movie already, and a sequel to that on the way. If any movie should attempt to be The LEGO Movie 2, it should be The LEGO Movie 2.

This is a movie about LEGO Batman. I'm hoping they treat it as such, giving us something appropriately fun, and leaving the role of "successor of The LEGO Movie" to the actual successor of The LEGO Movie.

• Like 4

And I wouldn't want it to. We've got The LEGO Movie already, and a sequel to that on the way. If any movie should attempt to be The LEGO Movie 2, it should be The LEGO Movie 2.

This is a movie about LEGO Batman. I'm hoping they treat it as such, giving us something appropriately fun, and leaving the role of "successor of The LEGO Movie" to the actual successor of The LEGO Movie.

I see what you're saying. I guess that what a movie about LEGO Batman represents to me isn't what I think I personally want to see come from the franchise. But then, this is coming from the person who was sure that the original LEGO Movie and the relaunch of BIONICLE would be completely unworth his time. I should probably be a little more open-minded, but it can be quite tempting at times to indulge in cynicism.

• 4 weeks later...
PlatonicWaffles

The Vitruvius figure that came with the limited editions in most regions is apparently being packaged with rereleases of the film in time for Christmas in the UK. Is it me, or is it too little too late?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.