How to get Rock Raiders running in Wine/CrossOver on Linux

apemax

Well it finally happened, I finally got LRR to run on Linux using Wine 1.7.11 and CrossOver 13.0.1. 

The two main problems seem to be d3drm.dll and playing the avi video files. Neither the inbuilt d3drm.dll or the native d3drm.dll would work however the d3drm.dll that came with my copy of LRR does work if put in the same directory as the game executable. I'm guessing it's a issue with newer versions of it that for some reason don't like Wine+LRR.

A simple way around the video issue is to delete or rename the two avi intro videos located in the data/AVI folder. This also means that it won't run if you have the game disc in your drive as it tries to run the intro video from off the disc. Obviously this means that non of the videos will play. I haven't tested to see if the videos that you get in between the levels work but I would assume they don't. More testing is needed there.

Another thing to note is that it only works in RGB Direct3D emulation mode however it runs much quicker compared to it running in a XP VM on my machine. (A Core 2 Duo E7400 at 3GHz.)

One more thing to note is that there are a few graphical glitches mainly to do with the effects and lighting. Nothing major but noticeable. I'll see if I can't figure out whats going on there.

To make sure your using the right version here's the md5 and sha1 of d3drm.dll.

MD5: 7e4541c04a1678c656875596db13599d  D3DRM.DLL
SHA1: 77709ddd4963426c8c6755d160c31af35144faeb  D3DRM.DLL
  • Like 2

JrMasterModelBuilder

Hmm, I think I will have to try this on OS X sometime. I think I'll wait until Wine 1.7.12 is available, as it should be released later today.

Could you add an MD5 or SHA1 hash of the d3drm.dll file you are using, so that we can check that we are using the same version as you?

Sure. Here's the md5 and sha1 for the d3drm.dll I'm using.

MD5: 7e4541c04a1678c656875596db13599d  D3DRM.DLL

SHA1: 77709ddd4963426c8c6755d160c31af35144faeb  D3DRM.DLL

• 2 months later...

Hmm, I think I will have to try this on OS X sometime. I think I'll wait until Wine 1.7.12 is available, as it should be released later today.

Could you add an MD5 or SHA1 hash of the d3drm.dll file you are using, so that we can check that we are using the same version as you?

How did you go with this? did it work for you?

• 5 months later...

Hey, LRR runs on Debian Jessie ("testing" as of now), seems like it's possible to play all missions, even though I only tested some of the first ones. [i don't know if that's something special but it seems so to me as I could never get the game to run on Windows 7]

Problems (/annoyances):

* the .avi files have to be deactivated

* during missions, the 3D ingame world (but not the interface or the selection boxes which appear after pressing space) is slightly stretched towards the upper border of the screen (so I'll have to click somewhere above a Rock Raider or wall positioned there if I want to select it)

* a few parts of some models are black/white only instead of colours (e.g. energy crystals, hands and the top of the head of the Rock Raider model)

* while the 3D view of the minimap is open, the world stops rendering but the game still runs; everything's fine if you switch to the minimap, though

System specs:

graphics card: Intel HD4000 (Ivy Bridge mobile)

Steps to run the game:

* get the game folder, disable the .avi files (e.g. by renaming them)

* get d3drm.dll (SHA1: af25767f425fa7877b996e5d29a54cab29b5ecfb) and put it into the folder ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/

* run "LegoRR.exe" with wine (wine had to download some extra files the first time I tried this; If this happens, let wine do it, kill it when it's done and run it again then)

* if wine is successful, the "mode selection" window should open. Select the "DirectDraw HAL (display)" driver and "Direct3D HAL (Wine D3Ddevice using WineD3D and OpenGL)" as a device

* at this point, the game might open but loose focus immediately; move it to a new, empty (!) desktop and alt-tab into it, then the game may lag for a few seconds, but after that it should run as I described above :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.