Slimy Slug Project

Edrjune1

So, I am attempting to make a LEGO compatible slimy slug that can beef up any RR collection.  I have carved one out of wood and it turned out pretty nice.  The next step is to make one out of clay that I can make a mold for and produce a good number of them.  The body is a solid peice with the eyes being levers that have been bent and flattened on the tips to allow for bases on both ends.  The model is a little crude as it was painted with acrylic paint (terribly un-smooth) but it means that this may not be as hard as I thought.  In time, I intend to make the head swivel, but first I am just going to try it with the head stationary.

There will be a few more pictures in my gallery, but let me know what you think or if you have suggestions.

It might be cool to have the slugs have a 2x2 platform on their backs to be able to sit rock raiders on there, or maybe energy crystals. :D

That looks great! Let's hope the Slimey Slugs don't start attacking RRU, which is a large Rock Raiders HQ after all. Of course, if they do start attacking, that would be the only kind we need to worry about. Some of the slugs just don't have it in them. Case in point:

>gallery_27_60_20337.png

Haha, that's really cool. I remember thinking of doing something like this years ago with hard baked clay when I got really into playing Rock Raiders again (2007-ish) but never actually tried it. I was also thinking of custom monster models more in line with their appearances from the game, but never did that either - maybe something to try when the slugs are done?

Oh, and I just had a thought. It might be cool to have the slugs have a 2x2 platform on their backs to be able to sit rock raiders on there, or maybe energy crystals. :D

Eh, I'd prefer without, as there's not really any instances of them doing stuff like that (by default, anyway).

Eh, I'd prefer without, as there's not really any instances of them doing stuff like that

True.  I only really thought of it since the rock monsters do have two 1x2 stud sets on their backs.  The trick is making a very modular piece remain as "legoy" as possible.

Very nice. If you can get a smooth mold and have it painted well, some people might send some money your way to get one for their collections...

Very nice. If you can get a smooth mold and have it painted well, some people might send some money your way to get one for their collections...

Oh, you can certainly count me in for that.

Okay Guys, Here is the clay model that will be the basis for the mold.  It needs a lot of polishing up, but it is turning out pretty well.  Let me know what you think before it goes in for molding

• Like 2

I think it looks excellent if you compare it to the in-game model, but if you were to stand it next to physical LEGO I think it might need to be smoother/less lumpy, I'm not sure. The 'lumps' are subtle enough though. I'm sure it'll look better after you finish your polishing :)

Okay, Guys.  This is the base for the slimy slug.  Speak now or forever hold your peace.  For the next question...What should the eyes be like?  As you can see, I am using levers that are bent with bases on both ends, but would some of you prefer to have the eyes one solid piece.  Or...do some of you prefer to be able to move the eyes around.  I am thinking the latter, but let me know.

Movable eyes, please.

Your wish is my command...Here is the custom lever arm I made for the two lever bases to attach to.  Just have to add those to the parts to be molded.

This is getting pretty exciting I must add

• Like 3

Your wish is my command...Here is the custom lever arm I made for the two lever bases to attach to. 

You, sir, are crafty.  We appreciate craftiness here.  Well done.

Okay, one more design modification.  I have chosen to put a 2x4 plate on the bottom of the model.  I have done this for a couple of reasons.  First, the 2x4 brick that made up the base of the slug warped in the firing process, making me skeptical of the bottom fitting in to too  many pieces.  Second, the depth of the brick would have made it pretty difficult to mold regardless; the plate will be much easier.  Third, in carving away the stud receivers on either end of the slug body, I realized the sides would hit studs of any large plate the slug might be attached to.  I figured that the stud recesses all the way down the body would severely detract from the overall asthetic of the piece.  Therefore...a plate was added.  Hope it looks good.

Wait, how did you do that?

I basically soldered two lever arms together.

I also have been thinking, from some of your comments, about selling these when I am done.  Here is the mock up of what will be included in the "set"

• Like 2

I'd rather see them with orange eyes

More like this?

I'd say it matches better and is a little more accurate.  Thanks for the input! ;)

• Like 1

Is the figure in the pictures the one you will be using to cast the mold from?  The  only issue I have thus far with it is that it's not entirely smooth.  I don't know whether complete smoothness can be achieved in this case but I think a little more sanding on perhaps the next prototype might really help add to the professionalism of the figure.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.