Photo

RRU Minecraft Server

• Please log in to reply
878 replies to this topic

Poll: RRU Minecraft Server (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play on separate Creative and/or Survival servers?

1. I'd play Creative (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. I'd play Survival (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. I'd play both (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

4. I wouldn't play either (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

If you would play, how long would you play on the server(s) each week?

1. I'll build a shack (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. I'll be digging diamonds (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. It's all the way to the Nether/End for me (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. I'm building castles! (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

JimbobJeffers

Thanks to those who have voted so far, would anyone else care to weigh in?

A little factoid for those interested: in the (almost) 7000 hours that the current server has been active, enough has been built and explored to put its world file size at 1.2GB! Luckily I have two 1TB hard drives to store backups on. ;)

Shadow322

Shadow322

The Ultimate Lifeform.

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Thanks to those who have voted so far, would anyone else care to weigh in?

A little factoid for those interested: in the (almost) 7000 hours that the current server has been active, enough has been built and explored to put its world file size at 1.2GB! Luckily I have two 1TB hard drives to store backups on. ;)

Wow really? That's pretty cool dude.

I did want to ask when the new server and new maps will be picked out, I'm sure I'm not the only person that wants to secure their builds on the existing creative map so they can rebuild them on the new creative map.

RR Rocks

RR Rocks

RRU's No. 1 lurker

• Platinum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

There will be no new map, at least not to my knowledge. The new map thing simply did not have any support apart from two mods, so the current map isn't going anywhere (unless JJ needs to make a new map for creative)

JimbobJeffers

As RR Rocks said, the current server is staying as it is. If enough people show interest in a second server, the current one will stay the same but be permanently Creative while the new one will be a fresh Survival world.

EDIT: Important Announcement!

I just checked the prices with my host, they've reduced the prices since I ordered the server but have continued to charge me the old price so long as I have a subscription. A bit sneaky methinks, so I'm going to close the server and reopen it under their new pricing. This means that the server will be closed for a while, and will get a new IP address. Don't worry though, I've backed up the world and it will all be the same as you left it. :)

• RR Rocks, le717 and Sparks8805 thanked this

le717

I just checked the prices with my host, they've reduced the prices since I ordered the server but have continued to charge me the old price so long as I have a subscription. A bit sneaky methinks, so I'm going to close the server and reopen it under their new pricing. This means that the server will be closed for a while, and will get a new IP address. Don't worry though, I've backed up the world and it will all be the same as you left it. :)

How long do you think it will be offline while you get a new server? And yes it's sneaky, but it's a often-used business model. Did I ever tell what happened when I bought my Adobe CC subscription? Nearly a month after buying, Adobe MAX 2014 happened and they lowered their prices. Because I was still under the 30-day money back trial, I canceled it and bought my subscription under the new price, essentially getting a whole month of CC for free.

JimbobJeffers

The new server should take anywhere between 24 and 96 hours to set up, judging by the times the service providers gave me. :)

Yeah, I suppose I wasn't that surprised. The only company I'm aware of who haven't been such cons about subscriptions are Jagex (they run RuneScape, yes yes I didn't stop playing that when I reached the minimum age requirement, big deal :P), who recently put up their prices but allowed all current subscribers to keep the old prices as long as they don't cancel their renewing membership. If only the world weren't so driven by money, eh?

Sparks8805

Are you going to PM the new ip to all the players, or post it here?

Shadow322

Shadow322

The Ultimate Lifeform.

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Are you going to PM the new ip to all the players, or post it here?

I'd assume both of them will be posted here.

JimbobJeffers

The new IP will be posted here, yes. There are too many players to send out PMs to, even with the 10-member cap on PMs.