RRU Minecraft Server

Jimbob

Many people don't realize how taxing a single mod can be on a server. Many people also don't realize exactly WHY the build limit is there. If you've ever been around a structure that goes from the ground level 0-120 (Depending on biome) all the way to 265, you know exactly how much it can lag the server AND your client. If a build was to go up to say 500 blocks, your rendering could potentially crash Minecraft. And if you crash next to the building, it's generally impossible to log back in and get away from it. I have a considerably hard time getting my generic laptop to render things correctly, and even if you have a good graphics card and lots of RAM, stuff like this can backfire really quickly. I therefore would like to cast my vote against any mods that mess with any system implemented by Mojang. Keep it vanilla I say.

Many people don't realize how taxing a single mod can be on a server. Many people also don't realize exactly WHY the build limit is there. If you've ever been around a structure that goes from the ground level 0-120 (Depending on biome) all the way to 265, you know exactly how much it can lag the server AND your client. If a build was to go up to say 500 blocks, your rendering could potentially crash Minecraft. And if you crash next to the building, it's generally impossible to log back in and get away from it. I have a considerably hard time getting my generic laptop to render things correctly, and even if you have a good graphics card and lots of RAM, stuff like this can backfire really quickly. I therefore would like to cast my vote against any mods that mess with any system implemented by Mojang. Keep it vanilla I say.

What about mods that add more graphical customization to it? Like if you wanted to reduce clouds or something about the lighting or all that over fun stuff that causes lag?

That's exactly why Mojang made it so that you can turn clouds off, and turn transparent leaves to opaque leaves, and turn off smooth lighting. What I'm saying is, why add more stuff just to add more suff? If you want to build a structure 265 blocks tall, dig yourself a hole, start at 0, and go all the way up. It'll still lag due to the rendering however. I don't see why people think we need to remove the 265 limit. And I say again It IS there for a reason. We all need to stop thinking of ourselves and think of each other first in order to prosper as a decent community. I know for a fact that I am not the only person who doesn't have a supercomputer, and I'd like to keep the Mods that can stress your computer, to a minimum. Obviously JJ has the final say in all this, but I still think that keeping everything perfectly Vanilla is a viable option.

The idea with the cubic chunk mod sounds interesting, because you could have really high hills or really deep oceans (and higher buildings, too).

@Sparks: From what I understand the main difference between normal and cubic chunk mod Minecraft is, that in the normal one a chunk goes from 0 to 256 (height level) while in a cubic chunk Minecraft chunks are stacked, which means, that you don't have to load everything from 0 to 256, but only from 128 to 256, 300 to 500 etc.

Cubic chunks shouldn't affect the generation levels for hills/mountains/valleys. I agree it sounds intriguing, but I don't understand why we need to raise the build limit when nobody has any reason to.

Fluffy Cupcake

Sparks, have you actually read up on Cubic Chunks besides here? If so, you would know that it actually REDUCES lag, so that's the least of our worries, also what if you wanted to build deep below the normal bedrock level instead of a tall tower? This allows that.

Yes, I have read up on it. However, I do not believe that it "Reduces Lag" as I have never had a mod that didn't add lag to the game (however small it may have been). I installed optifine (Yes, it said "REDUCES LAG!") a few months ago, and even when I turned all the settings down to the bare minimum, it still lagged more than straight vanilla. First, I would ask "Has anyone tried this before?" Secondly, I would ask, "How well would this run on a 1GB server." Thirdly, I would ask. "Is it REALLY worth it?" I'm not meaning to start an argument, but I don't want to have to stop playing on this server due to unbearable lag (and I mean worse than my usual 35 FPS).

I’ve given it a lot of thought and have finally made a decision on whether or not to implement a modded JAR to our server. I would happily write the answer in a single word, but the fact that quite a few people play the server frequently and are passionate for/against the subject deems it worthy of a more substantiated response.

As older players of the server will know, it used to be Bukkit(1) until both the server was lost/recreated and Bukkit was taken down (along with other custom servers too). Thus the new server has remained Vanilla in the absence of a decent Bukkit alternative. Recently CanaryMod(2) has been pointed out as a viable candidate, however Mojang has been working on an official Plugin API(3) for the past five years, and as such I have been considering whether to wait until the official one is released – playing it safe if you will, relying only on the official server JAR to avoid any possible complications – and shifting over to CanaryMod in the mean time.

As managing and modding Bukkit put a lot of unnecessary stress on me, which may seem pathetic but actually given my health condition isn’t at all, I’ve been skeptical to the inclusion of a new server. Additionally, the taking down of multiple fan-made server softwares (e.g. Bukkit) has forced developers to design workarounds, such as Spigot which has players build their own server software instead (I’m not sure on the legality of that). This pushing of fan developers onto the backfoot is a bit of a turnoff in itself. Finally, when Bukkit was installed, a great many plugins were installed – around 20 at one point, I believe – which very much enhanced the server experience beyond Vanilla. Don’t get me wrong, it was brilliant that we had two separate Survival and Creative worlds hosted on the same server, it’s just the Vanilla is simple and Bukkit complicated things.

In conclusion, I’ve decided against modding the server. I’m going to wait for the official API to come out, and until then will leave the server in its official JAR version. If anyone really wants a modded server then that’s great, I’ll happily help you set up a second (or replacement) RRU server which will cost you just $4.00 a month. But so long as I’m paying for this server and it has many players on it, I’m keeping it Vanilla.

Wow, that went on a bit much and sounded more formal than I’d hoped... I hope you will all be okay with this and it doesn’t stop anyone playing the server. :)

(1) Bukkit Website

(2) CanaryMod Website

(3) Minecraft Plugin API Explanation

To alleviate any potential awkardness as a result of this post I have recorded a tour of the server. Check it out here! Hopefully I've covered the majority of the server, having not played it much myself I'm not sure who's made what and where.

P.S. It's still processing and will be 1080p soon.
  • Like 2

Hmmm, well that's all pretty fine with me I think. What is the current status on the official bukkit thing anyways cause I haven't heard anything about it in forever?

I'm pretty sure that most of the team left due to Bukkit being taken down. The website still facilitates plugins being made and uploaded, but the Bukkit software itself isn't available and compatible alternatives have to be used instead.

I don't play Minecraft as often as I used to but its still worth playing if RRU is setting up one. Personally, I'm more of a survival guy. Creative is fun and all but I think it gets boring after a while.  :af:

Fluffy Cupcake

I don't play Minecraft as often as I used to but its still worth playing if RRU is setting up one.

I take that as you want to join, buuuuuut before you do an official join request, be sure to read the requirements in the topic pilot if you haven't already.

I'm all for for creative when it comes to Minecraft. If I want action, adventure, or survival, Terraria is where it's at.

I may consider opening a second Survival server in future... If I can get a more stable income, which doesn't look likely at the moment.

Hey, if we ever get a new map then can we find a place that isn't int he desert?

As it happens, I've just come into a stable income! So I'm happy to open up a second Vanilla server in Survival mode, making the current one permanently Creative, however I would only be prepared to do so if I knew enough people would play it. I've added a poll to the topic post, could people please vote in it so I can see what sort of numbers I can expect? If the results are high enough, I'll open a second server for everyone. :)

EDIT: Added a second question to the poll.

Thanks to those who have voted so far, would anyone else care to weigh in?

A little factoid for those interested: in the (almost) 7000 hours that the current server has been active, enough has been built and explored to put its world file size at 1.2GB! Luckily I have two 1TB hard drives to store backups on. ;)

Thanks to those who have voted so far, would anyone else care to weigh in?

A little factoid for those interested: in the (almost) 7000 hours that the current server has been active, enough has been built and explored to put its world file size at 1.2GB! Luckily I have two 1TB hard drives to store backups on. ;)

Wow really? That's pretty cool dude.

I did want to ask when the new server and new maps will be picked out, I'm sure I'm not the only person that wants to secure their builds on the existing creative map so they can rebuild them on the new creative map.

There will be no new map, at least not to my knowledge. The new map thing simply did not have any support apart from two mods, so the current map isn't going anywhere (unless JJ needs to make a new map for creative)

As RR Rocks said, the current server is staying as it is. If enough people show interest in a second server, the current one will stay the same but be permanently Creative while the new one will be a fresh Survival world.

EDIT: Important Announcement!

I just checked the prices with my host, they've reduced the prices since I ordered the server but have continued to charge me the old price so long as I have a subscription. A bit sneaky methinks, so I'm going to close the server and reopen it under their new pricing. This means that the server will be closed for a while, and will get a new IP address. Don't worry though, I've backed up the world and it will all be the same as you left it. :)

• Like 3

I just checked the prices with my host, they've reduced the prices since I ordered the server but have continued to charge me the old price so long as I have a subscription. A bit sneaky methinks, so I'm going to close the server and reopen it under their new pricing. This means that the server will be closed for a while, and will get a new IP address. Don't worry though, I've backed up the world and it will all be the same as you left it. :)

How long do you think it will be offline while you get a new server? And yes it's sneaky, but it's a often-used business model. Did I ever tell what happened when I bought my Adobe CC subscription? Nearly a month after buying, Adobe MAX 2014 happened and they lowered their prices. Because I was still under the 30-day money back trial, I canceled it and bought my subscription under the new price, essentially getting a whole month of CC for free.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.