RRU Minecraft Server

Jimbob

I will try to size the map according to the amount of players, I cannot guarantee it to be perfect, as I do not have any real experience in hosting UHC matches. As for the spreading technique, I will try the spread players method, if this does not work though, We will just simply fly into different directions like last time.

UHC: Season 2: Round 4: Recap

The round started late (as they always do) due to Shadow322 not showing up. Within an hour I fell to the power of Poison II potions and skeletons. I cannot accurately describe what happened after this, but I can tell you that the winner is:

Antillies!

Congratulations!

Serious mode has been engaged now. The current map on the server is heading to the age of 1 year, so Ace, Sparks and I have come to the conclusion that a new map is in order.

To make this more interesting then a simple new map, we have also come up with a few restrictions: keep inventory = false and no creative mode for non-mods until the first beacon has been built. After this has been achieved, a new rank, builder, would be engaged and would only be given out to trusted members of the server. this is due to a recent massive increase of griefing that the server has been put through.

To anyone that is concerned for their builds, the server map would obviously be downloadable from the this thread, so that you can finish your builds offline.

This change will only be put through if enough people vote for it. Simply write a post with your rejection or acceptance of this idea, so that we can get a clear picture of the positions you guys take.

Sorry guys, some stuff came up that I didn't foresee.

No worries.  Next time though, shoot JJ (or whoever is hosting) a PM just so they know.  :)

Sorry guys, some stuff came up that I didn't foresee.

No worries.  Next time though, shoot JJ (or whoever is hosting) a PM just so they know.  :)

I will, I just didn't have any real access to this during that 5 hour gap between the two posts I made.

The current map on the server is heading to the age of 1 year, so Ace, Sparks and I have come to the conclusion that a new map is in order.

To make this more interesting then a simple new map, we have also come up with a few restrictions: keep inventory = false and no creative mode for non-mods until the first beacon has been built. After this has been achieved, a new rank, builder, would be engaged and would only be given out to trusted members of the server. this is due to a recent massive increase of griefing that the server has been put through.

To anyone that is concerned for their builds, the server map would obviously be downloadable from the this thread, so that you can finish your builds offline.

I would like more details before making a conclusion.

• Have the other mods and admin been consulted and weighed in on this idea? I would think such a large change should be discussed privately there and live/die there before being brought to the public. Two mods and one user is, IMO, not enough to bring this proposal to the public.
  • Why only after one year it is thought the map must be replaced? The server is not a smartphone or tablet, it can last for longer than a year. The only reason V1 lasted for one year was due a *ahem* oversight in payment.
  • You will need to explain, in plain terms, what “inventory = falseâ€, “first beacon has been builtâ€, and “a new rank, builder†means. Many of us are not fluent in the technical Minecraft jargon as you so seem to be. ;)
  • Can these “interesting†changes not be performed on the existing map? Why must they occur on a brand new map? Is this the only way law breakers can be stopped? Is it the best way? Why not build a new spawn city waaay far away from the current city, put up clear directional guides in case we want to get back to the old city, move the spawn, then enact the changes? Would that not work just as well?
I may have more questions, so don’t go too far off the deep end. ;)

Fluffy Cupcake

• Have the other mods and admin been consulted and weighed in on this idea? I would think such a large change should be discussed privately there and live/die there before being brought to the public. Two mods and one user is, IMO, not enough to bring this proposal to the public.
  • Why only after one year it is thought the map must be replaced? The server is not a smartphone or tablet, it can last for longer than a year. The only reason V1 lasted for one year was due a *ahem* oversight in payment.
  • You will need to explain, in plain terms, what “inventory = falseâ€, “first beacon has been builtâ€, and “a new rank, builder†means. Many of us are not fluent in the technical Minecraft jargon as you so seem to be. ;)
  • Can these “interesting†changes not be performed on the existing map? Why must they occur on a brand new map? Is this the only way law breakers can be stopped? Is it the best way? Why not build a new spawn city waaay far away from the current city, put up clear directional guides in case we want to get back to the old city, move the spawn, then enact the changes? Would that not work just as well?

1. No.

3. Keep inventory has to do with if you keep your inventory items when you die or not. A beacon is this. Rank = group, and I'm not even sure different groups are possible besides moderator and standard user in a vanilla MC server.

Ah yes, an entirely new map and everything... how about no, or at least more planning put into it first? I'd like to point out that getting all the way to a beacon block can be a horribly long process.

Also before you make any changes to the map can I ask about the server being changed to a modded one if possible or if it has to stay to a vanilla one?

Fluffy Cupcake

Also before you make any changes to the map can I ask about the server being changed to a modded one if possible

We have been keeping our eyes peeled for a good alternative to Bukkit since it shut down, but nothing has caught our eyes yet, and we don't want something as complicated as a forge server where everyone has to install a client side mod to play (although I personally don't mind, esp. if a installer exists).

GordonFreeman

Aw, a new map altogether? Well, can we run through some seed options and pick one via poll? I'd love to have a spawn close to the ocean for once.

We have been keeping our eyes peeled for a good alternative to Bukkit since it shut down, but nothing has caught our eyes yet, and we don't want something as complicated as a forge server where everyone has to install a client side mod to play (although I personally don't mind, esp. if a installer exists).

Oh, I wasn't aware of mods like that... could that allow other mods in it as well? Like real mods and not the bukkit alts?

Aw, a new map altogether? Well, can we run through some seed options and pick one via poll? I'd love to have a spawn close to the ocean for once.

I'd like to do a vote if that's an option, it sounds like it could be really fun to pick the new place as long as we get enough good picks of it.

@Xiron: Forge and mods that work with it are extremely easy to install now. You simply get the installer and create a new instance in MC with the Forge jar. Then all you do is dump the mods into the mods folder.

@Ben: Pack up the attitude. Do you really think anyone would just make a new server to have a new world? There is this thing called money that you need run a 24/7 server.

@GordonFreeman: The public opinion seems to be to keep the old map, so no worries there.

While I personally have always been up for a Survival-only server, it seems that a great many players enjoy Creative and hence it has been kept that way. It was a great idea RR Rocks, and in fact I may consider opening a second Survival server in future... If I can get a more stable income, which doesn't look likely at the moment. Of course, if anyone wants to donate $4.00 a month, I can happily open up a second Survival server for us. :)

I hadn't thought about ranks, it's certainly doable in Minecraft to some extent through the use of Teams. I could set it up if people like? This would allow players certain permissions, such as setting their own spawnpoints without a bed.

Also I'm glad UHC was an enjoyable game for those that took part!

I was thinking if we start a new map we can set up a strictly survival town at the spawn, like I don't know if it's possibly to set chunks to not allow creative players to place stuff but if it's possible then we can set up an area of like 50x50 chunks (not sure how big that is) for strictly survival (with a creative/survival changing station there) and then everything else is creative/survival. Is that possible?

I am perfectly fine with keeping the old map. I do, however, think that a builder rank (Creative mode for "Builders" only) would limit the amount of "griefs" on the server. Maybe it would even be helpful to change the name color for different ranks.

@Shadow: I don't think that having a "Strictly Survival" area is a good idea as it might cause segregation between those who prefer survival and those who prefer creative. (I doubt this would happen on RRU since it's such a great community, but you never know.)

Oh wait, nobody answered me when I asked if it would be possible to add some real mods into the game, like MCedit and stuff for example.

GordonFreeman

If the server staff are planning to mod the server (no complaints from me, mod away, just please don't put in mods that add in extra blocks or game mechanics for survival mode), can I recommend the Cubic Chunks mod? It allows for near-infinite vertical building and reduces lag. It essentially adds the concept of chunks to the vertical space of Minecraft, making the sky no longer a limit to what we can build.

If the server staff are planning to mod the server (no complaints from me, mod away, just please don't put in mods that add in extra blocks or game mechanics for survival mode), can I recommend the Cubic Chunks mod? It allows for near-infinite vertical building and reduces lag. It essentially adds the concept of chunks to the vertical space of Minecraft, making the sky no longer a limit to what we can build.

I just looked that up, soooooo AWESOME! Someone needs to tell CaptainSparklez, SkydoesMinecraft, and all the big name YouTube MC people about this amazing looking thing.

Fluffy Cupcake

Cubic Chunks mod? Yes!

MCEdit is not possible (afaik), because it was a bukkit thing, and bukkit is no longer a thing.

I'm pretty sure every subscriber of those guys who know about it will be telling them about it already, I wouldn't worry.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.