RRU Minecraft Server

Jimbob

It would, but there's nowhere that carries the parts I would need in the area. I'd have to order the parts online.

Which would still likely be cheaper.

@Xiron below: Check again.

Fluffy Cupcake

Uh oh. Post counts on the recent topics list don't go past 1000. We're at 1002 now and it is stuck at 1000. =P

@mumboking; Well it took long enough to update. =P

It would, but there's nowhere that carries the parts I would need in the area. I'd have to order the parts online.

Which would still likely be cheaper.

@Xiron below: Check again.

Thing is, between quality, time and savings, you have to choose two of the three. I need a decent system (not incredibly powerful but a decent CPU is important) and I need it ASAP. Ideally I can get the servers running by next monday if I buy a pre-built system, or by the week after that if I build a system myself to save a bit of money. Take your pick.

Edited by Phoenyx

If your only reason for buying a pre-built system is to get it to the players faster then we can definitely wait. Money savings is more important than getting the server to us a week early. :)

You may or may not have heard of pcpartpicker? Amazon and other online retailers may be useful for getting good deals, and it organises all that neatly.

If your only reason for buying a pre-built system is to get it to the players faster then we can definitely wait. Money savings is more important than getting the server to us a week early. :)

You may or may not have heard of pcpartpicker? Amazon and other online retailers may be useful for getting good deals, and it organises all that neatly.

Even used parts can build something decent. You could even use some form of Linux instead of Windows to save a bit more.

So, I came up with a setup for the server. I prioritized decent RAM and a good CPU, and went cheap on everything else. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2h2xqs

I had to pick a dedicated graphics card as the CPU I chose doesn't have an integrated GPU.

Even used parts can build something decent. You could even use some form of Linux instead of Windows to save a bit more.

I'm actually planning on trying out ReactOS on this build. It's basically an open source version of Windows, minus a few advanced features that I probably won't need for a server. It has a bit of an issue with Java, but hopefully that will be fixed soon. If not, well, I could always fall back to Ubuntu.

Edited by Phoenyx

So, I came up with a setup for the server. I prioritized decent RAM and a good CPU, and went cheap on everything else. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2h2xqs

NEVER scrimp on a PSU... If that thing goes wrong it could explode.

Is this only going to be used as a server for Minecraft? If so, why 1TB HDD?

Additional network card? That motherboard has built in ethernet.

I'm gonna see if I can make a list...

EDIT: Here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tcVFLk Intel G3258 option: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pwHWvK

I changed the PSU for something better, removed the network card and graphics card (The MoBo in the AMD build does have built in graphics apparently.) and opted for some cheaper, but still good RAM.

The G3258 is a cheap overclockable Intel processor, but it's only a dual core: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646g3258

Single core performance is better than that 6350 though.

I use the inbuilt ethernet on my motherboard, but aren't network cards more reliable/deliver better results on some motherboards?

I use the inbuilt ethernet on my motherboard, but aren't network cards more reliable/deliver better results on some motherboards?

The difference, if any, would probably not be worth the added cost.

The difference, if any, would probably not be worth the added cost.

But for a server? Maximizing uptime and minimizing lag is critical.

Also, I'd still rather have the Corsair Vengeance RAM. That's the one thing I have a strict brand requirement with.

Edited by Phoenyx

• 3 weeks later...

I heard that a snapshot version of the next update is coming out on the 29th. Is the server going to be back by then? And would we run the snapshot? It seems to be a very big update to the game that might breath some new life into it.

I've been quite busy with projects recently. I don't know if I'll still be able to host the main server, however I can still set up some secondaries when I find the time to do so.

I think a temporary vanilla server could hold us over until the brand spanking new whatever-the-new-version-of-bukkit-is-called server goes up, if you can find the spare time to dump the old files onto your server.

Thing is, I'm going to be busy for a while. I'm working on a prototype product for the company I'm starting, and I need to focus on that.

Is it the setting up of the temporary server that you don't have time for, or is it the maintenance that comes with it? Because I'm sure someone can and would be willing to help you with it. I'm not too experienced with working on remote servers, but I've had my fair share of MC servers run on my PC, so I could at least try to help set things up.

Either way, I'm sure we can gather some patience and wait for you to have some time, if you don't want someone else to work on the server setup.

Is it the setting up of the temporary server that you don't have time for, or is it the maintenance that comes with it? Because I'm sure someone can and would be willing to help you with it. I'm not too experienced with working on remote servers, but I've had my fair share of MC servers run on my PC, so I could at least try to help set things up.

Either way, I'm sure we can gather some patience and wait for you to have some time, if you don't want someone else to work on the server setup.

I'm fine if someone else runs the server, even if it's temporary.

While I could maybe get the software side of things done, I don't have access to a server, so I can't really do crap. Someone else who has access to a server is needed here.

While I could maybe get the software side of things done, I don't have access to a server, so I can't really do crap. Someone else who has access to a server is needed here.

You could always try self-hosting. Just make sure you have a computer with high uptime and a good internet connection.

You could always try self-hosting. Just make sure you have a computer with high uptime and a good internet connection.

Not really possible, I can't have the server up when I'm not on the PC, so that wouldn't really work. My PC is just too costly to have running when I'm not using it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A more general question: How many users are still interested in playing Minecraft here? Personally I would probably occasionally check out, if something new happened on a server, but otherwise I am not sure, if I would build something (although that depends on having an idea or not^^).

I guess, that it's a question of supply and demand (people may only play together, if there is a server, but if the number is too slow, you can ask, if it is worthwhile to have one, because someone has to pay for it).

I would certainly still play on a somewhat regular basis, and I'm sure others would too, but for now, nobody has the time / money to set up the server and keep it running

I would still play it regularly, I have so little to do these days without Minecraft, plus I have like soooooo many cool building ideas I want to do and show off.

Fluffy Cupcake

I have so little to do these days without Minecraft

Freedom Planet

As always, still borderline with Minecraft interest. I have my eyes on Creativerse which the devs said are expecting to become F2P later this year, which, as far as I'm concerned, means out of early access too!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.