Lego Creator and Windows 7 64-bit

UTF

Has anyone had any luck getting Lego Creator to work on Windows 7 64-bit? I've found one YouTube video showing it working successfully on Windows 7. In that video, the user doesn't have the XP patch, and sets Creator.exe to run in Windows 98 / ME compatibility mode. I've done the same things, but it still won't work. The juggling Wizard loading screen is stuck on screen until I use Task Manager to kill Creator.exe. :(

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and it works for me perfectly without any compatibility setting changes. The graphics do get a bit buggy in hardware mode though, but it works fine in software mode (the same applies to the Knights Kingdom sequel as well).

Fast replies again. Neat!

Apparently, some of you managed to get Creator working? How well does it work on Windows 7? jamesster mentioned the graphics are "a bit buggy in hardware mode". How about the sound effects? On my old XP machine, the sounds wouldn't play unless I set Creator.exe to Windows 98 compatibility mode.

This is somewhat unrelated, but I found a cool video showcasing the engine used for Lego Creator. Superscape Virtual Reality video:

Fast replies again. Neat!

Apparently, some of you managed to get Creator working? How well does it work on Windows 7? jamesster mentioned the graphics are "a bit buggy in hardware mode". How about the sound effects? On my old XP machine, the sounds wouldn't play unless I set Creator.exe to Windows 98 compatibility mode.

Sounds and everything seem to work wonderfully as usual for me.

Except when I click the Wizard once, (before clicking something else) his animations wont sync with his words.

But when something is clicked on after him, his voice is synced fine.

And the only other issue is that the tooltips wont show; they instead bring up a help window saying "Why can't I get help from this program?"

It works quite well on Windows 7, though I've always had a bug (on XP and 7) where some ground vehicles won't move when you try to control them unless there's some sort of mouse movement over the 3D window. Otherwise they stop dead in place. Odd, I know, and it's happened on every computer I've tried the game on - makes me wonder if there's multiple versions of the game, with different compatibility quirks and glitches, like there are for other games like Racers and IXS.

For me, hardware mode causes textures to render as solid white depending on the angle you view them at. Sounds work fine.

I've seen that Superscape video before, looked into it briefly but not a whole lot. I thought I saw mentions of downloads for some toolkit somewhere but wasn't able to find any working links for it, though I didn't look very hard.

It works quite well on Windows 7, though I've always had a bug (on XP and 7) where some ground vehicles won't move when you try to control them unless there's some sort of mouse movement over the 3D window. Otherwise they stop dead in place. Odd, I know, and it's happened on every computer I've tried the game on - makes me wonder if there's multiple versions of the game, with different, compatibility quirks and glitches, like there are for other games like Racers and IXS.

I just remembered that I encounter that bug quite often as well.

And if a vehicle blew up before going into build mode, then back to play mode, that vehicle sometimes wont respond.

Speaking of Lego Creator bugs, I always remembered the one where bricks would move by themselves in build mode. It was really obnoxious.

I haven't had the game work yet on 7, unfortunately... I'm sure I'll figure something out soon, though! If all else fails, I can just use an old XP laptop that I have hanging around.

And the only other issue is that the tooltips wont show; they instead bring up a help window saying "Why can't I get help from this program?"

I believe the tooltips are .HLP files. Microsoft phased out .HLP files starting with Windows 7.

Mr. Eight-Three-One

I was able to get the game to work on my Windows 8 machine without trouble, which is actually saying something. If I'm correct though, your world won't play any sounds unless you put it in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode. You also need to run it as an admin in order to save worlds.

Regarding the .HLP files, if you want to fix that issue...

Windows Vista: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5143

Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=91

Windows 8: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35449

Windows 8.1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40899

I don't really know what to say about your problem, though.

Creator works on 8? That's pretty cool! I also didn't know there was a .HLP file fix. I guess I'll look into that one too.

I don't know what to say about my problem, either. I could get old stuff like Midtown Madness 1 and Lego Racers 1 to work on my PC, but who knows what's wrong with Creator. I bet it's a really obvious solution too :x

I have an XP laptop to try Creator on, which I'm almost certain will work. Time to revisit my old "Bicycle Race" maps!

• 3 years later...

Recently I tried to get old games to work on my Win 7 64-bit computer or the XP 32-bit one. Every game basicly worked. Every game I say? Well, don't you worry, because one program adamantly defends its right to only run on Win 98 or 95...

...bizarre intro aside I just wanted to post, that I tried to get the original (german) release of LEGO Creator (a red&yellow case with LEGO studs on it) to work on at least one of the computers and it didn't work (I get the error message "Sorry, not supported on Windows NT." The header of said error message contains the follwing words: "Incorrect version of Windows"). An option might be using my Win 98 computer again, but that thing sounds (annoying and) like a jet engine, that may or may not explode at any given point in time. The next option is setting up a virtual machine with Win 98, but I wonder, if this will cause more hassle than it is worth it if you consider, that there is at least one XP version of this game out there and that I would do this for only one game (in numbers: 1).

Speaking of XP (which brings me to my main point): Have you also read posts about a LEGO Creator XP patch or a general LEGO XP patch being out there? Apparently it could help with the game working on Win XP and Win 7 probably too. I searched a bit, but I got the impression, that it is more of a myth at the moment (my guess: people might have confused it with the later XP compatible release of Creator) since you can only find mentions about it or dead or dubious download links etc.

edit: An example for people only talking about it is the video, that you find in the first post of this thread. I also found it during my search and it boils down to "I have the original release of the game and this patch and it (somewhat) works". No mentioning of a source though.

edit2: I am not sure, if I find it again, but one post mentioned, that it has to do with the communication between LEGO Creator and Win XP (something with the permission to use the hardware or whatever) and that Creator just refuses to do that and that the patch probably only removes this error message. As you can see, this is all rather vague: A theory, why it might not work based on a discussion about a patch, that is difficult to find.

Update (since I mentioned a Win 98 computer in this post): I put my Windows 98 computer back together and used newer fans and only the first harddrive. It turns out, that I remember the computer being louder, because back then I also had a 2nd harddrive disk (with more space) in it, that contributed quite a bit of noise. Result: LEGO Creator works, but wow: those camera controls are bad by today's standards. Well, at least I know, that the original copy still works.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.