"Classic LEGO Games" Getting Mobile Release In Early 2014

lol username

And given the context, it's pretty safe to assume that by "classic LEGO games" they mean "the original LEGO Star Wars games".

According to Jedi News, attendees of of the European Brand Licensing Show received a brochure detailing Disney's plans for Star Wars stuff over the next few years, and some mobile releases of "classic LEGO games" are scheduled for Spring/Summer 2014. Not surprising in the least, but worth mentioning. Oh, and there's some other Star Wars news in there too.

Sources: Jedi News

"Classic LEGO games"

"Star Wars Mobile LEGO games following on from successful app releases of the Batman and Harry Potter platform ports. Coming in Spring / Summer 2014."

Classic LEGO game = early TT Games Star Wars?

• Like 7

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Great news except for the news itself. As hard as it is to boot over true classic LEGO games to a mobile platform, once you have one, you have them all give or take some if the specialized game mechanics. I just wish TT would pull another sorta thing with releasing more that their own LEGO games like they did back a few years ago in '06 or ''07.

Now, I must compromise. The first Star Wars game, it was a good game. I never played the full thing myself, but I did play the PC demo once. It was different, a break from the previous LEGO games. LSW 1 could very well be called a classic LEGO game, not on the same level as the true classic ones, but an actual classic because it was (at the time) a unique game. It's only in hindsight when they've reused and improved the same formula over and over again does the originality of the original game becomes boring, redundant, and almost shovel-ware, leading to disappointment over this news.

• Like 3

I really have no idea why everyone, including Lego themselves, seems to pretend like the games pre-LSW just did not exist. It boggles the mind as to why. Old lego themes are acknowledged by Lego sometimes, even if it's mostly small appearances or allusions. The games? Apparently not.

But it's not just Lego who's pulling this. So many other sources just gloss over the classic games. If they are referenced, it's all just "Oh, well this is a thing that existed." It seems like the people who actually care are few and far between.

But what is it that makes these old games worthy of such apathy? I know the age of the classic games was also the time of Lego's suicidal overdiversification, for one thing. Maybe Lego Media was viewed as one of their extraneous branches that could afford to be pruned off. It certainly explains why Lego deals with Tt now, but not why everything Pre-Tt is ignored. Sure some of Lego's indifference towards older products in general can be blamed, but that can't be the whole reason...

I really have no idea why everyone, including Lego themselves, seems to pretend like the games pre-LSW just did not exist.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/SJPlego/Misc/youwillneverliveuptotheawesomenessofpepperroni.png

http://city.lego.com/en-us/trains/comic

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7641_City_Corner

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/topic/4747-lego-awesomeness/?p=91437

So many other sources just gloss over the classic games. If they are referenced, it's all just "Oh, well this is a thing that existed."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/feature_the_building_blocks_for_a_lego_city

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK7MsYLM7XA

And several books published by DK recently have pages and sections dedicated to older games.

It's also rather hard to separate throwbacks to old themes from throwbacks to old games, as more often than not, the video games directly involved various themes, the main exception being LEGO Island (and even that started as a LEGO Town game).

I really have no idea why everyone, including Lego themselves, seems to pretend like the games pre-LSW just did not exist. It boggles the mind as to why. Old lego themes are acknowledged by Lego sometimes, even if it's mostly small appearances or allusions. The games? Apparently not.

But it's not just Lego who's pulling this. So many other sources just gloss over the classic games. If they are referenced, it's all just "Oh, well this is a thing that existed." It seems like the people who actually care are few and far between.

But what is it that makes these old games worthy of such apathy? I know the age of the classic games was also the time of Lego's suicidal overdiversification, for one thing. Maybe Lego Media was viewed as one of their extraneous branches that could afford to be pruned off. It certainly explains why Lego deals with Tt now, but not why everything Pre-Tt is ignored. Sure some of Lego's indifference towards older products in general can be blamed, but that can't be the whole reason...

Older Games didn't have the licenses which could easily propel them to popularity. They probably weren't as successful (not going to look up the statistics). Also, they don't age as well as Tt games. They feel dated - especially LEGO Island, which is one of the best ones.

Oh, and people like Star Wars.

But there've been guys like Pepper in sets recently.

Also, Sky Lane in LEGO Universe, even if it's not Sky Lane.

It's also rather hard to separate throwbacks to old themes from throwbacks to old games, as more often than not, the video games directly involved various themes, the main exception being LEGO Island (and even that started as a LEGO Town game).

Also, what makes you think they're not the same characters? They share the same fairly oddball name and their appearances are quite similar to each other.

Oh, and Ogel was also set to appear in LU, and he was originally video game character.

Jamesster, out of those 4 links, only one of them Is an actual mention of the game. The. rest are "well, they kind of look like Pepper." If these are the bestexamples of Lego's acknowledgement of older games, there is something seriously wrong.

Jamesster, out of those 4 links, only one of them Is an actual mention of the game. The. rest are "well, they kind of look like Pepper."

You appear to have not looked at the links very carefully.

If these are the bestexamples of Lego's acknowledgement of older games, there is something seriously wrong.

How so?

Again, I might point out that there's really not much to reference when it comes to older games specifically, as the games were usually directly based off of LEGO themes that were around at the time. The Minifigures theme has throwbacks to everything from LEGO Island (the screenshot already posted and a mention of the Brickster) to Adventurers and Drome Racers and Fright Knights and Knights Kingdom and many older Space (especially Blacktron) references, LEGO Universe had Johnny Thunder, Sky Lane, a classic space world, and pieces of gear themed after classic characters/minifigures like Ann Droid and Basil the Bat Lord and Futuron/Space Police, heck, even TT has referenced classic LEGO themes in their games countless times. Space Police III was completely filled to the brim with throwbacks and nods to past space themes. I just saw some classic spacemen flashlights in a Toys R Us for pete's sake. The LEGO Movie is a whole mish-mash of past and present themes. LEGO is doing more fan service like this now than they ever have before. What on earth is there to be mad about?

Oh, right, LEGO Star Wars mobile versions. News flash, the new franchise makes money like crazy, and like it or not the old games from the late 90s and early 2000s are vastly outdated both in the technology they run on and the themes they advertise. Yes, they're fun, we like them, yes, the TT formula has gotten stale, but to claim LEGO has "just completely forgotten about their past" is both factually incorrect and plain silly. LEGO puts out more throwbacks to past products now than they did in the 90s/early 2000s, and nobody complained then that they weren't getting their nostalgia fix. And hey, at this point, the early TT games are nostalgic for a lot of people, even me - time flies, huh?

• Like 1

No, "looks like" isn't correct at all. I'm sorry, it's 1in the morning and I'm only paying loose attention to what I'm typing. What I meant to say was, yes, they're similar, but not Pepper specifically, and yes I get that's kind of a cheap reason to reject it.

Secondly, yes, I know that older themes get a lot of references. But just about anything specific to the games is ignored, and that is still a significant amount of stuff, no matter how much they also borrowed from their contemporary themes.

and that is still a significant amount of stuff

... How? LEGO Island is really the only set of games that relied heavily on its own theming and content, and even that was only really true for the first and third games, and even those were still tied to real themes fairly tightly. Pretty much every other classic LEGO game - LEGO Racers, LEGOLAND, LEGO Rock Raiders, LEGO Stunt Rally, Soccer Mania, etc - just took an existing theme (or usually multiple existing themes) and perhaps tossed in their own unique characters like Super Station Master or Freddy Fit to fill any necessary gaps. And when it comes to those characters, the only especially notable ones IMO even worth referencing are Rocket Racer and maybe Professor Voltage (and both have been involved in stuff outside their games, like Rocket Racers and various comics, though that was quite some time ago now). If we're gonna start complaining that Freddy Fit or Mr X don't get throwbacks these days, what's next? "Oh man, LEGO's totally ditched their past, we haven't seen Captain Indigo since 1989!" :P
  • Like 2

Also, what makes you think they're not the same characters? They share the same fairly oddball name and their appearances are quite similar to each other.

Oh, and Ogel was also set to appear in LU, and he was originally video game character.

That sucks that they didn't introduce Ogel to LU.

And I meant that Sky Lane doesn't look like Sky Lane, not that they're different characters.

No, "looks like" isn't correct at all. I'm sorry, it's 1in the morning and I'm only paying loose attention to what I'm typing. What I meant to say was, yes, they're similar, but not Pepper specifically, and yes I get that's kind of a cheap reason to reject it.

Secondly, yes, I know that older themes get a lot of references. But just about anything specific to the games is ignored, and that is still a significant amount of stuff, no matter how much they also borrowed from their contemporary themes.

I get what you mean, but why would they do it? If everything was a direct throwback to an older theme (regardless of how similar the two themes are) and was listed as such, they would be a lot more stale. I don't know if Pharaoh's Quest included any Adventurers references, but the theme was obviously a take on Adventurers.

What is it you're looking for?

A section of the website dedicated to old themes? Old minifigures being re-released more frequently and without being made of cheaper plastic? Re-releases of old sets?

I have looked at what I posted last night after getting some sleep and I can't tell for the life of me what I was trying to argue or why. I think my next post would have been about how I was ACTUALLY talking about how different groups of fans view the games, which boiled down to " People have different taste, I guess." It was at this time when the voices in my head were screaming "Please, stooooop posting. Go to beeeed..." And so I did. At this point, I'm not going to argue any more "issues" that can be shot down by two seconds of rational thought. Sorry for the trouble.

Edit: Actually I specifically remember that I was originally going to name all he "significant game-only content" along with my last post, but then I realized I could not name any. I thought if I was vague enough I could cover up my uncertainty, but I got called on my bluff. Bravo, Jamesster.

As you can see, toward the end there I was already starting to realize my argument was falling apart. I think I just have a bad habit of sticking with one argument to the death, even if it's not working. Definitely not the first time this has shot me in the foot.

What they said: "Classic LEGO Games"

What they meant: "LEGO Cash Cow Star Wars: The Videogame re-re-release"

Ah, well. At least it'll be fun to play the podracer level on mobile.

• 1 month later...

Yea, that came out two days ago. However, only Episode 1 is free. The rest of the "complete saga" is available via in-app purchases, totally $19.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/lego-star-wars-the-complete-saga-for-ios-includes-one-episode-you-must-pay-for-the-rest/1100-6416685/

Yea...

Hah! You could probably get a copy for PC or a console for the same price or cheaper these days.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.