New rock type for RU?

tmo7452

10 members have voted

1. 1. Add packed rock?

• Yes, but only if someone makes a new texture for it
    • Yes, shift the textures to compensate
    • Yes, shift the names and textures to compensate
    • NO! ANYTHING NEW IS EEEEVIIIIILLLLL!

No, RU is not dead. We have made significant progress. One of things we thought would be helpful would be a new type of rock, "packed rock". It would be between loose and hard rock. Strong, but able to be drilled by a raider (it would take a minute or two though.) Now, originally LRR had a wall type below dirt, "soil". We already have textures for those, the second one in these sheets. Rock, Ice. We could use these by shifting the other types down. What do you guys think?

It might be best to shift everything down so we can use the normally unused Soil texture. Thus, the current Loose Rock would become Packed Rock. We won't need to create new textures that would need to be consistent with the existing art style so it's the path of least effort. Custom biomes will need to include that extra texture, but the art style should be consistent in those cases.

I just realized I made the poll wrong, "shifting names" was supposed to mean making all "dirt" into "soil" and so on thus "loose rock" becomes the new rock type.

...yeah, that's confusing.

As people aren't picking option 1 or 4 then the main question is answered.

As people aren't picking option 1

Look again. :P

But then what are you going to get rid of? If you add one type you have to delete another... or maybe I've just completely misunderstood you... :P

But you cannot add a new wall type! The binary codes of the surf.map is already "full" so that you are not able to add any new wall types. You could try to add new codes with a hex editor (that's what I tried some months ago) but it doesn't work. It is hard-coded that you cannot add any new wall types. You can just replace textures and drilling times!

Sorry, thought you be talking about LRR.

But you cannot add a new wall type! The binary codes of the surf.map is already "full" so that you are not able to add any new wall types. You could try to add new codes with a hex editor (that's what I tried some months ago) but it doesn't work. It is hard-coded that you cannot add any new wall types. You can just replace textures and drilling times!

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/topic/5151-raiders-untitled/

It's not a mod, it's a from-scratch remake.

Running out of wall types is not a problem. We can support up to 65535 different types with the legacy format.

Just to clarify, you guys mean us to have the following wall types?

4MuL7.png

Soil would be drilled at the same speed as dirt from the original game. Dirt would be about the same as speed as loose rock. Loose rock would be drillable by rock raiders, but it would take exceedingly longer than the others. Hard rock, and Solid rock would stay the same. Another option would be to rename soil to dirt, dirt would be loose rock and loose rock would be "packed rock." The only difference would be in names. I personally would rather just keep soil. What do you think?

Does anyone have any questions or concerns? I found the poll to be rather ambiguous, so I'm just making sure you guys know what you're voting for.

• Like 2

Yeah, Packed Rock doesn't sound quite so good as Soil... that is, if you just switch the names around.

Sparky's thingymajigy looks fine to me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.