Armed-and-Armoured Police Van

Jimbob

Overview

When crime in LEGO City gets so out of control that the Police Force cannot contain it, special armoured vans are sent out. These prototypes* are heavily armoured, and fitted with hidden devices that surprise and outwit the criminals they are sent to capture. Few can escape these special force vans, besides the Brickster and his super jetpack, perhaps.

This model, which I have yet to think up a good name for, was built based on models I built when I was little. They were spy vehicles which always had some hidden features, stuff that hadn't really been produced in LEGO sets until the Agents theme. I put function over form, so it doesn't look particularly great, but I guess the same applies in the real world too when it comes to these types of vehicles.

*My cover story on all my models, to excuse any possible improvements ;)

Photos

gallery_5738_370_8436.jpg

This is the main view of the model. It's moderately tall and thin for a vehicle, and has side panelling.

gallery_5738_370_521745.jpg

The left panel slides around to reveal some hi-tech... buttons.

gallery_5738_370_1222739.jpg

The right panel also slides around, revealing a police officer's essential tools. Binoculars and a lightsaber, of course.

gallery_5738_370_1050401.jpg

The back compartment opens up, and out pops a laser turret! It holds three different projectile types for different situations.

gallery_5738_370_1515977.jpg

Here you can see inside the driver's compartment. Take note...

But the armoured van's last line of defence has yet to be seen. Should it sustain enough damage, it has one last emergency response.

gallery_5738_370_1139871.jpg

The van takes position, and the driver hits the big red button...

gallery_5738_370_279161.jpg

The front of the vehicle opens up...

gallery_5738_370_1222928.jpg

And out zooms a little escape buggy! The police officer can drive to safety.

See More

View a 2Ï€-radian rotation of the model below:
Note: Use the arrow keys to rotate the image. You may need to click on the image first. Additionally, the first rotation may lag while it loads the images.
I'll update this soon to be viewable online, currently it isn't working (perhaps it's too big).
  • Like 2

With the dropbpx link, I do have dropbox (correction: my dad has dropbox on this computer in which I am typing) but there is no image to click on apart from the Shockwave Flash icon. Do I need to download it?

YES I DO.

</derp>

Negative Feedback:

I'd get rid of the black panelling on the side (don't say to me you haven't got white, you must have (what with the size of your RR diorama)) and turn it to whte or light grey.

Why has the guy got no face protection? Not even the windshield goes up to his face. Are they so slow that they don't need a windshield? (Really powerful things are always slow. It's just part of the rule of equality in Narrative Casuality)

What are the little hinges (just above the front wheels) for?

Can you tilt the missiles to go straight forward? It looks like you can't...

Put bigger siren lights up the top. They're hardly even noticeable.

Positive Feedback:

This is great! It could even be a Lego CITY set in 2014 (or are you one of the Lego developers... I smell a conspiracy theory and a rat.) :P

I would advise covering up about 75% of the exposed studs, it will be a lot less rough on the eyes.

Meh. I think it looks fine if you get rid of the black.

The missiles aren't very well hidden. Ooh look, there's this big storage thingy at the back with no doors! Of course it's just  full of sandwiches... -.-

</sarcasm> With that space, I was personally expecting one of Lego's spring-loaded cannons rather than (no offence) three puny missiles. Can the missiles be flicked? Oh don't bother about the flicking, they never worked for me... They just look nice for weapons.

Can you tilt the windshield? No? Then what's that little hinge there for?

Possible try covering up the sides with a sheet - that might make it look more armoured.

Overall Rating:

Great job! :D 9/10

I really like the idea you have here. Police pseudo-military vehicles are always fun, like that Police Tank from World City. Nice inclusion of play features, too - those are always great.

However, if you wanted to create a strong, armored vehicle, it is paramount that the cockpit, at the very least, is enclosed so as to avoid damage to the driver, which would nullify the point of the armored car. The hole exposes the driver to serious danger, and a roof would protect him nicely.

I also feel that the shape of the front of the vehicle would be better if you had a thick front that had a slope to the windscreen higher up, like a truck.

There's some placement of color that feels a bit random - that's easily excusable if you don't have the parts in the right color, but I suggest trying to find a more unified color scheme with some lines or shapes of colors other than white instead of random spots.

Sorry if this is too negative/critical.

I would advise covering up about 75% of the exposed studs, it will be a lot less rough on the eyes.

If I had the tiles, I would. I used up most of my white tiles on the paneling and making the roof easily removable.

Reply to aidenpons:

With the dropbpx link, I do have dropbox (correction: my dad has dropbox on this computer in which I am typing) but there is no image to click on apart from the Shockwave Flash icon. Do I need to download it?

YES I DO.

</derp>

Negative Feedback:

1) I'd get rid of the black panelling on the side (don't say to me you haven't got white, you must have (what with the size of your RR diorama)) and turn it to whte or light grey.

2) Why has the guy got no face protection? Not even the windshield goes up to his face. Are they so slow that they don't need a windshield? (Really powerful things are always slow. It's just part of the rule of equality in Narrative Casuality)

3) What are the little hinges (just above the front wheels) for?

4) Can you tilt the missiles to go straight forward? It looks like you can't...

5) Put bigger siren lights up the top. They're hardly even noticeable.

Positive Feedback:

6) This is great! It could even be a Lego CITY set in 2014 (or are you one of the Lego developers... I smell a conspiracy theory and a rat.) :P

Meh. I think it looks fine if you get rid of the black.

7) The missiles aren't very well hidden. Ooh look, there's this big storage thingy at the back with no doors! Of course it's just  full of sandwiches... -.-

</sarcasm> With that space, I was personally expecting one of Lego's spring-loaded cannons rather than (no offence) three puny missiles. Can the missiles be flicked? Oh don't bother about the flicking, they never worked for me... They just look nice for weapons.

8) Can you tilt the windshield? No? Then what's that little hinge there for?

Possible try covering up the sides with a sheet - that might make it look more armoured.

Overall Rating:

9) Great job! :D 9/10

1) I actually don't have white plates, my LEGO collection was only started relatively recently and is very small. That diorama was bought as sets, not built from parts. But it's a nice suggestion, if I get white plates I'll use them!

2) Two reasons for that - I was running low on white parts, and the windscreen has to tilt upwards to open out, meaning that anything above it would obstruct it. I'm going to see if I have white hinge bricks which I can use, in which case he'll have a protective roof :)

3) Those open out the front of the vehicle, from which the little buggy emerges (check out the spoilered images).

4) The missiles are on a hinge, although even so they can't tilt particularly much. They have a 360 degree rotation though.

5) Will do!

6) Haha, I wish ;) Thanks!

7) I don't have flick-fire missile parts, and the spring-loaded cannon would make it even more noticeable. I agree though, it's not particularly secretive, but better than having windowed paneling and showing off what it contains :P I can't really do much about it with the constraints of LEGO bricks.

8) The windshield actually has to tilt forward for the front to open up. Not sure what you mean by covering up the sides though.

9) Phew, after all that I wasn't expecting a 9! Thanks!

Reply to BobaFett2:

1) I really like the idea you have here. Police pseudo-military vehicles are always fun, like that Police Tank from World City. Nice inclusion of play features, too - those are always great.

2) However, if you wanted to create a strong, armored vehicle, it is paramount that the cockpit, at the very least, is enclosed so as to avoid damage to the driver, nullifying the point of the armored car. The hole exposes the driver to serious danger, and a roof would protect him nicely.

3) I also feel that the shape of the front of the vehicle would be better if you had a thick front that had a slope to the windscreen higher up, like a truck.

4) There's some placement of color that feels a bit random - that's easily excusible if you don't have the parts in the right color, but I suggest trying to find a more unified color scheme with some lines or shapes of colors other than white instead of random spots.

5) Sorry if this is too negative/critical.

1) Thanks, I appreciate that.

2) Copying across what I said to aidenpons: Two reasons for that - I was running low on white parts, and the windscreen has to tilt upwards to open out, meaning that anything above it would obstruct it. I'm going to see if I have white hinge bricks which I can use, in which case he'll have a protective roof :)

3) That sounds a lot better, I constructed the front first and didn't give it a second thought.

4) As is the problem for newcomers to LEGO :P I think it's important that it's not all-white, but agree that it's a little over the place.

5) Not at all! Your constructive criticism is very helpful, thank you.

Not sure what you mean by covering up the sides though.

From what you've said, you might not have the white bricks you need, but to make it look more 'armoured' I'd suggest that you put white plates on the side. If that makes more sense...

and the windscreen has to tilt upwards to open out, meaning that anything above it would obstruct it. I'm going to see if I have white hinge bricks which I can use, in which case he'll have a protective roof

Why not have the windshield and the roof attached to the same hinge? That is, the driver's roof is attached to the windshield hinge and not to the main roof.

If that makes sense.

Don't double post please. Use the edit button. I've fixed it for you. - jamesster

Edited by jamesster

Do you have any older hinges (the type that swivel, not the type that click). If you have those (and the parts you need), you could make a cockpit that swivels up at the roof and attach the windscreen to it (putting some tiles under the windscreen).

and the windscreen has to tilt upwards to open out, meaning that anything above it would obstruct it. I'm going to see if I have white hinge bricks which I can use, in which case he'll have a protective roof

Why not have the windshield and the roof attached to the same hinge? That is, the driver's roof is attached to the windshield hinge and not to the main roof.

That's a good idea, too. However it may look awkward having a large roof swing on one small windscreen/hinge.

Do you have any older hinges (the type that swivel, not the type that click). If you have those (and the parts you need), you could make a cockpit that swivels up at the roof and attach the windscreen to it (putting some tiles under the windscreen).

Aha! Of the three ideas here, that sounds best (no offence aidenpons, I've discounted my own idea too :)). Thanks.

I assume you're referring to hinge plates? That would fit nicely under the roof plate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.