BoB Rock Raiders Vehicles

Fush

First note: BoB is an acronym I personally use, standing for Back-of-the-Box or Back-of-the-Booklet, for those models that are shown on the back of a LEGO set's box or booklet that serve as 'idea' models and lack instructions. I don't know if there is an official or fanon term for these models but that's what I call them.

I wanted to recreate some of the BoB models from the Rock Raiders sets, so I found some instructions online and took a shot at it.

However, only the RRHQ set had BoBs on it, and the pictures were incredibly low-res, but I did my best.

The images I was working from can be found here, on the last three pages.

Here we go.

Note that all these names are made up by me, feel free to suggest better ones.

Tall Dumper

gallery_6559_313_59044.png

This one is I'm about 90% certain about. It was one of the clearest pictures, and was shown from two angles. I find it interesting, but I don't like it much.

Side Dumper

gallery_6559_313_20193.png

This one I'm less certain about, but it seems relatively accurate. This is a truck, similar to the Small Transport Truck, but with a larger bed and which dumps to the side (obviously)

Small Mobile Crane

gallery_6559_313_85863.png

this one was the smallest, blurriest picture, so it's probably the least accurate, but also the one I'm most proud of. I like this model, but it doesn't seem balanced. IT looks like it'd fall over all the time.

Blue Hover

gallery_6559_313_24407.png

gallery_6559_313_280172.png

Rendered by JimbobJeffers

This one was the clearest picture, so I'm certain it's almost completely accurate. A boring blue hovercraft.

Energy Craft

gallery_6559_313_85614.png

gallery_6559_313_333823.png

Rendered by JimbobJeffers

This one gave me trouble, as the picture is a little confusing, but eventually I figured out exactly what was going on (the box on the left wing is open, which threw me off). The 'cockpit' is too blurry to see, but the rest of the craft I'm certain of.

Landing Craft

gallery_6559_313_78160.png

This was another really small image, I had to improvise a bit but the bulk of it is accurate. I have no idea what's going on in the front though.

So what do you guys think?

After looking at the pictures I would say, that you did a great job :). I haven't seen any construction errors and the original images look really bad (a.k.a. 3*4 pixels ;)).

One question: Do you want to built the alternate buildings in the near future, because this step would be quite logical?

PS: Poor Bandit: He and his vehicle fall directly into a bottomless pit :(.

PPS: Thanks for clearing up the situation in the shoutbox, because in the small image it looked like Bandit would fall into a pit^^ (although it still looks weird).

One question: Do you want to built the alternate buildings in the near future, because this step would be quite logical?

Yes, but the buildings are much larger and more intricate, and just as low-res, so it will take a while.

EDIT: actually they look quite simple. I just am putting them off due to their size....

• Like 1

From what I saw in the Lego World Club magazines of 1999 (some of you may have read that I bought these german magazines to ship them to America) these models were first concepts I guess... at least these vehicles belong to this HQ here (but still the actual set #4990 is printed on the next pages)

Scans from the magazine:

gallery_4679_356_452241.jpg

gallery_4679_356_995815.jpg

These pictures have a slightly higher quality so that you can maybe build the HQ easier.

• Like 3

From what I saw in the Lego World Club magazines of 1999 (some of you may have read that I bought these german magazines to ship them to America) these models were first concepts I guess... at least these vehicles belong to this HQ here (but still the actual set #4990 is printed on the next pages) Scans from the magazine:

[snip]

These pictures have a slightly higher quality so that you can maybe build the HQ easier.

That HQ is the exact picture from the back of the box, only mirrored horizontally. It definitely is a higher resolution than the one I was working from though, so it should make building the HQ easier. Thanks!

I think I should add a link to the picture I was working from in the OP.... I'll do that now.

• Like 1

Very nice work!  It's always a fun challenge to rebuild LEGO inspiration models, and what you've got so far seems well-done considering that you had only small, grainy images to work with.

I'll just save you some work now and let you know that, if you decide to tackle the inspiration models for other sets, one of the inspiration models for the Loader-Dozer actually has instructions in the LEGO Mania magazine, and I already went ahead and built that one in LEGO Digital Designer.  Unfortunately, none of the other inspiration models appear to have instructions in the LEGO Mania, but I suppose that's just the fun of the challenge, isn't it?

• Like 2

Very nice work!  It's always a fun challenge to rebuild LEGO inspiration models, and what you've got so far seems well-done considering that you had only small, grainy images to work with.

Why thank you ^^

I'll just save you some work now and let you know that, if you decide to tackle the inspiration models for other sets, one of the inspiration models for the Loader-Dozer actually has instructions in the LEGO Mania magazine, and I already went ahead and built that one in LEGO Digital Designer.

Well that's one to cross off the list, though to be honest I didn't even know that one existed. I can't seem to find the BoBs/inspiration models for the vehicles, except for...

Unfortunately, none of the other inspiration models appear to have instructions in the LEGO Mania, but I suppose that's just the fun of the challenge, isn't it?

11.jpg

EDIT: Also, how do you build that cockpit and rollcage?

• Like 1

I want to see instructions for the one that appears in the ninth comic:   http://www.rockraide...le:9thcomic.png

Oh, cool, I forgot about the comics. That's probably why these models aren't featured in the instructions...

I'll try my hand at building this one next, might as well post instructions for it, and the rest of them (once I iron out some design defects)

Do the rest of the comics have alternate models in them? I'll have to check. EDIT: they don't. Ah well.

• Like 1

I should note there are a couple more vehicles in this particular booklet (two aircraft, iirc) that I still have yet to build. They were much more difficult to make out than these ones but I still plan on attempting them, before I move on to anything else, and add them to the OP.

Great work Fushigisaur, you're doing brilliantly at deciphering those tiny images as far as I'm concerned.

These models would look quite nice if rendered...

I could send you the .xlf files if you want to render a couple. Do you have skype?

Most of them probably have small inaccuracies that I wouldn't want shown in detail until I'm sure I've nailed down the designs, however I'm 100% confident in the design of the Blue Hovercraft if you want that one.

I could send you the .xlf files if you want to render a couple. Do you have skype?

Most of them probably have small inaccuracies that I wouldn't want shown in detail until I'm sure I've nailed down the designs, however I'm 100% confident in the design of the Blue Hovercraft if you want that one.

If I rendered them, it may have to be in LDraw as it takes seconds in comparison to LDD. If you're okay with that then I don't mind converting/fixing and rendering them :) Although come to think of it, LDraw doesn't have the Rock Raiders figures...

If I rendered them, it may have to be in LDraw as it takes seconds in comparison to LDD. If you're okay with that then I don't mind converting/fixing and rendering them Although come to think of it, LDraw doesn't have the Rock Raiders figures...

Personally I'd love to see these vehicles rendered. I don't know much as far as rendering times go, 'cept that it takes a while, is there really that big a difference? I should hope that, being smaller, these vehicles wouldn't take too long to render...

To be honest, these vehicles would probably look a lot better with accurate RR minifigs in them as opposed to empty or with close aproximations...

(and on that note, I don't even know how I'm supposed to put a minifig in that yellow side-dumper. Would it stand up?)

Though, again, I need to revise most of these a bit before I'm confident enough to have them rendered. For example, the back and bottom of the crane is all wrong... the front is fine though. The energy craft needs controls, a couple bricks on the other models look the wrong color even though the set didn't contain a piece that shape in another color...

But the blue hovercraft is ready, so I can send that one. How should I get it to you?

• Like 1

If I rendered them, it may have to be in LDraw as it takes seconds in comparison to LDD. If you're okay with that then I don't mind converting/fixing and rendering them Although come to think of it, LDraw doesn't have the Rock Raiders figures...

Personally I'd love to see these vehicles rendered. I don't know much as far as rendering times go, 'cept that it takes a while, is there really that big a difference? I should hope that, being smaller, these vehicles wouldn't take too long to render...

To be honest, these vehicles would probably look a lot better with accurate RR minifigs in them as opposed to empty or with close aproximations...

(and on that note, I don't even know how I'm supposed to put a minifig in that yellow side-dumper. Would it stand up?)

Though, again, I need to revise most of these a bit before I'm confident enough to have them rendered. For example, the back and bottom of the crane is all wrong... the front is fine though. The energy craft needs controls, a couple bricks on the other models look the wrong color even though the set didn't contain a piece that shape in another color...

But the blue hovercraft is ready, so I can send that one. How should I get it to you?

LDD rendering on my computer can take several hours for something like the Support Station, whereas LDraw does it in 30 secs albeit with slightly less quality. By quality I mean lighting and stuff. Anyway, enough of this on your topic, if you'd like to send me the files I have Skype but would prefer something like Dropbox :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, been a while since you've seen this topic hasn't it? Well Sadie recently supplied me with higher quality pictures of the box of the LRRHQ, so I'm redoing these models to fix mistakes, and laugh at how wrong I was the first time.

First up, the crane vehicle.

gallery_6559_313_85863.png

REcLCLK.png

Just... I was nowhere close on this one.

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAH IT'S STILL A BIT OFF HOLD ON LEMME FIX THIS

EDIT2: Eh, fixing the small mistake I noticed created bigger issues. I'll have to redo the whole structure, but for now this is close enough.

EDIT3: I did the buildings as well. Still working on the big one but I've got the other two done.

M24IcbT.png

uf57rAq.png

Putting my custom baseplate to good use ^_^

• 3 months later...

I've had these sitting on my PC for a while now but I just now got around to uploading them because Sadie asked.

First, the three models from the Rapid Rider box.

lfFSc6c.png

NOTE: This model requires parts that are NOT INCLUDED with the set in question, specifically the 1x3 slopes (some pictures of the set show it with 1x3s, but the set itself has 1x2s in their place)

c7WXRny.png

TgM8saA.png

And next, a small, unassuming hovercraft from the Tunnel Transport box

XQ1jq8Z.png

EDIT:

ealyhAR.png

Kabaya sets. The image includes both the standard models and the alternate models. I started to build the combiners but LDD crashed and I didn't feel like restarting.

I had actually built the alternate models from the Rapid Rider and Kabaya sets, but forgotten to post them!  For the most part, they match up with what you have (although, for the first Rapid Rider model, I used the 1x2 slope bricks included in the set in place of the 1x3 slope bricks pictured on the box).  However, I must respectfully point out that your alternate model for 1277 Drill Craft is slightly inaccurate.  The saw pieces are what attach the "headlights" to the craft, like so:

1277_alternate.png

Yes, those holder bricks hang off rather haphazardly, but according to the official image that's how they're supposed to be, blame LEGO, not me.

So the Rock Raiders Kabaya sets have combiner models? I suspected as such, Kabaya tradition and all, but I can't find any good pictures of them, or else I would have loved to try building them myself. In fact, the only picture I could find is this one... which, I suppose, if I squint my eyes enough, would be manageable, but first I'm curious to see if there's a better image available.

Also, while I'm here, in addition to the Rapid Rider and Kabaya alternates, I also had the three alternate models for the Hover Scout sitting around on my computer.  Seeing this topic pop again made me feel motivated enough to post them:

4910_alternates.png

However, I must respectfully point out that your alternate model for 1277 Drill Craft is slightly inaccurate.

I'm glad you did, I very much hate inaccurate information being spread. I want these models to be as accurate as possible, and that includes being corrected when I do something wrong :D Eventually I'll organize this thread and when I do, I'll be sure to use the correct version.

So the Rock Raiders Kabaya sets have combiner models? I suspected as such, Kabaya tradition and all, but I can't find any good pictures of them, or else I would have loved to try building them myself. In fact, the only picture I could find is this one... which, I suppose, if I squint my eyes enough, would be manageable, but first I'm curious to see if there's a better image available.

Sadie pulled some strings and got a better picture from someone who owns the sets.

lqZNqJe.jpg

And here it is edited with the names in English:

SVlX89J.png

Hot Air Pelican really threw me for a loop- it doesn't even make sense! But I'm 90% certain it's correct.

In addition, here's a (very low res) picture of the instructions to build the Hot Air Pelican

IMGP8905.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent!  Thank you so very much!  This just saved my eyes a ton of straining while desperately trying to make out the details of that picture I found.  And as such, I felt compelled to do this.  If you see anything that I did wrong or have any suggestions, please feel free to do so, since I'll put the accuracy of these models before my own (already long-since-wounded-to-the-point-of-not-even-caring-anymore) pride.

These first two are the least accurate of the set, since that red ring line of death is in a really inconvenient spot.  In the case of the latter, I was unable to even finish it, though I decided to post what little I was able to put together anyways.

Force Riser:

1275-1277_force_riser.png

Swing Shooter (incomplete):

1276-1277_swing_shooter_wip.png

Search Lighter:

1274-1275_search_lighter.png

Propeller Cruiser:

1274-1276_propeller_cruiser.png

Rock Crusher:

1275-1276_rock_crusher.png

Grand Hover:

1274-1277_grand_hover.png

Someone Was Drunk When They Named This Hot Air Pelican:

1274-1275-1276-1277_hot_air_pelican.png

The Hot Air Pelican appears to use every piece from all four sets.  Combined with the fact that instructions, as low-res as they are, are provided, I have a strong feeling that this is the most accurate of the Kabaya combiners I've built.  Also, this might have been the cause behind LEGO Digital Designer crashing on you, Fushi, since if those saw pieces are not placed correctly on the model, it may crash the program (fortunately, I had saved the LXF before attempting this, so nothing was lost).

• Like 5

Excellent! Thank you for doing that, Peabody. Saves me the trouble <_< They seem to match the image, and from what I can remember of my own models, they match those as well. Good work.

If you want I can help you finish that one model, or at least attempt to- which, BTW, I was mistaken and is actually called "TWIN Shooter." All the talk about accuracy compelled me to double check, and I goofed. Twin makes more sense anyhow. The rest of the names are right though. I hope.

• Like 1

That looks like an interesting project, that is going on here. One day you may be able to make a big poster with all the RR sets (and all the alternate RR sets) on it :) (and calling it the "best poster of all time" ;)).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.