LEGO Magazines!

emily

Holy cow.  Just like the design team behind the original LEGO Island, DDI built a physical version of the LMS Explorer bridge?  I cannot help but wonder if that model is still intact somewhere at the LEGO HQ where it was build.  Also, I'm not sure if we've ever seen that beta screenshot of the in-game red scorpions and large spider before.

I'd also like to try my hand at recreating some of those inspiration models in LEGO Digital Designer, if I have the time of course.

"How many differences can you spot on the Axle on the right?" Well for one that's Sparks and not Axle. That's an awfully big difference, isn't it? And showing Hover Scouts crossing lava? You're gonna have a lot of pissed kids when they try that one in the game and find out its a lie. Of course, that's not to say ere aren't a bunch of lies in the article about the game either. Sure, the game has all the Rock raiders in the cutscenes... But not in the actual game. Enjoy your generic raiders. The goal is to collect as many crystals as possible! Except that it's only reaching a predetermined amount of crystals, and even then only in some of the missions. Axle isn't racing that slug, they're both running from RUSHING LAVA THAT'S THREATENING TO KILL THEM.

That said, the models they show you is kind of cool. The even smaller mobile laser cutter! The fabled large transport truck! A flying drill! The Town models they show you are great, too! I love that jetski, and especially the speedboat.

And in the find the differences puzzle Octan dude loses to sunglasses to reveal HE HAS NO EYES HOLY BRICK.

Thanks for uploading all those pages, Tazakk :)

Now we can look at all those pages, which are sometimes more and sometimes less interesting or funny.

PS:

The giant poster is only four pages big? How disappointing ;), at least it's free. Now I need some Fizz Cola and a sandwich to calm down...

*looks at page 21*

...wait, I can't eat my own lego sandwich? Aaargh, how could you, TLC?

Thanks the responses, everyone! I've added Issue 9.

Holy cow.  Just like the design team behind the original LEGO Island, DDI built a physical version of the LMS Explorer bridge?  I cannot help but wonder if that model is still intact somewhere at the LEGO HQ where it was build.  Also, I'm not sure if we've ever seen that beta screenshot of the in-game red scorpions and large spider before.

I'd also like to try my hand at recreating some of those inspiration models in LEGO Digital Designer, if I have the time of course.

At least in the case of the LMS Explorer Bridge, the model can probably be built by someone else, whereas the physical LEGO Island is lost forever. Still, it would be nice if the original bridge still existed, alongside the other models that the game-exclusive buildings and vehicles were based off of. It would be nice to have a piece of the past like that survive, and there may even be minute differences between the models and the versions in the game that aren't noticeable from the images we have.

It is quite possible that the scorpion and spider image is new. I couldn't remember, and I knew that I had seen the image of the physical LMS Explorer bridge online at some point so I assumed that that image would have come up too.

lol username

My goodness, as if LEGO Mania and Bricks 'n Pieces weren't enough, LEGO Adventures gives us a third set of character names for the Insectoids/Zotaxians... Also a third name for their planet I think.

Interesting tidbit about the continuity between the DK books and magazines - were they both made by the same people? Whatever that division of DD was called? Karl White mentioned it but I forgot.

I looked at the post title...and wow. I was surprised. I was actually considering asking you if you could them but I didn't want to bother you.

Thank you so very much!

Will these be uploaded here? Should I continue following this thread or will they be uploaded somewhere else?

You're gonna have a lot of pissed kids when they try that one in the game and find out its a lie.

If they were kids playing the PS1 game it would be the most hillarious thing ever, considering that you actually can cross water and lava even though it kills you.

Also the Insectoids stuff really pisses me off. Stop giving alternate names.

No! "LEGO" Friends! D:

I don't see why you need to put quotes around "LEGO". I mean, there was a picture of a LEGO dolphin in one of the girl's rooms. :P

My goodness, as if LEGO Mania and Bricks 'n Pieces weren't enough, LEGO Adventures gives us a third set of character names for the Insectoids/Zotaxians... Also a third name for their planet I think.

Interesting tidbit about the continuity between the DK books and magazines - were they both made by the same people? Whatever that division of DD was called? Karl White mentioned it but I forgot.

Oh, that's right! While I do not have access to the Insectoids issue of Bricks n' Pieces, I had forgotten that there is a scan of the 1998 UK medium catalog on Peeron that gives the names that were probably used in the issue. Bizarrely, Webb's name is the same across the two sources, as is the name of the Insectoids'/Zotaxian's home planet, Armeron. But Wizer is called Zec, and Gypsy Moth/Navigator Sharp is called Insector 2, implying that she is subservient to Insector Leon. It would seem that both magazines were working off of the same source material, but that one or the other (likely Adventures!, as it wasn't as directly connected to LEGO) modified things for some reason.

I'm pretty sure that at least the books in the young reader category published by LEGO Media/DK were produced by Artworld UK, which I believe was part of DDI. In addition to Fay and Steve, I recall that The Brickster appears once again as Jailbreak Joe with a white cap in Trouble at the Bridge. I only read the book a long time ago at the library, but I wouldn't be surprised if it included Builder Pete and his construction crew as well. I added a bit to the first post elaborating on Adventures! Magazine and Artworld, but you're probably already familiar with what information I gave.

I looked at the post title...and wow. I was surprised. I was actually considering asking you if you could them but I didn't want to bother you.

Thank you so very much!

Will these be uploaded here? Should I continue following this thread or will they be uploaded somewhere else?

Glad to be of service to you! I am uploading the magazines to Brickshelf (in this folder), but I will also be posting links to everything here. Since Brickshelf folders have to be moderated before they can be viewed on the site, I will be linking to the magazines here before they are visible over there.

There was a Brickster at Trouble at the Bridge (a book I once owned that has long since disappeared), as in the 2002 Issue 3/6 issue that was uploaded to BMP.

The Easy Reader books also have the link between Space Port and Life on Mars, which I thought was really cool - BB is a kid who won a contest, the prize of which is a trip to Mars (after training as an astronaut at Space Port).

ProfessorBrickkeeper

These scans are quite neat, scans of old LEGO magazines are definitely a valuable resource as to some of the info to older sets not chronicled elsewhere. It's also interesting to see a LEGO publication actually contain something relatively educational- the Rocks and Minerals page. I don't think the editors would let that pass anymore...

These scans are quite neat, scans of old LEGO magazines are definitely a valuable resource as to some of the info to older sets not chronicled elsewhere. It's also interesting to see a LEGO publication actually contain something relatively educational- the Rocks and Minerals page. I don't think the editors would let that pass anymore...

It wasn't just the LEGO magazines that had educational information...the DK Easy Reader books I remember best (which are definitely somewhere in my house), a Rock Raiders one and a Space Port one, definitely have a few pages at the end about rocks/minerals and astronauts, respectively. I think I had an Arctic one too at one point, and that definitely had stuff about snow and arctic expeditions. It wasn't all that uncommon, at least in the Easy Reader books.

However, I don't remember the puzzle books or the big comics (High Adventure, Deep Underground and the Knights' Kingdom One) having anything like that.

And yeah, they don't do as much of that. It doesn't seem like they're publishing all those books any more either. I think that stuff was cut to save money (which, in the case of the puzzles and comics, is a real pity).

Yeah, the info is great.

lol username

Oh, that's right! While I do not have access to the Insectoids issue of Bricks n' Pieces, I had forgotten that there is a scan of the 1998 UK medium catalog on Peeron that gives the names that were probably used in the issue. Bizarrely, Webb's name is the same across the two sources, as is the name of the Insectoids'/Zotaxian's home planet, Armeron. But Wizer is called Zec, and Gypsy Moth/Navigator Sharp is called Insector 2, implying that she is subservient to Insector Leon. It would seem that both magazines were working off of the same source material, but that one or the other (likely Adventures!, as it wasn't as directly connected to LEGO) modified things for some reason.

Oh, that's right - Peeron had the alternate Insectoids names, Bricks n' Pieces had the alternate UFO names. Unless there actually is a Bricks n' Pieces magazine that has Insectoids content.

Alternate sets of names are common in older LEGO stuff (often regional differences, different names between markets), but it's weird to see them mixed up like that. Huh.

Again, thank you for your replies, everyone!

There was a Brickster at Trouble at the Bridge (a book I once owned that has long since disappeared), as in the 2002 Issue 3/6 issue that was uploaded to BMP.

The Easy Reader books also have the link between Space Port and Life on Mars, which I thought was really cool - BB is a kid who won a contest, the prize of which is a trip to Mars (after training as an astronaut at Space Port).

I didn't know that the Space Port book had BB training for his trip. Very interesting, given that that it was published the year before Life on Mars launched.

Page 34, the RR mousepad and keychain, forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but does anyone have either of those?

I don't know about the mousepad, but the keychain was a product on Shop at Home for a year or two, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone has it. The Brickset listing for it is here.

Oh, that's right - Peeron had the alternate Insectoids names, Bricks n' Pieces had the alternate UFO names. Unless there actually is a Bricks n' Pieces magazine that has Insectoids content.

Alternate sets of names are common in older LEGO stuff (often regional differences, different names between markets), but it's weird to see them mixed up like that. Huh.

This issue appears to have featured Insectoids, but whether or not it gave any of the characters names is admittedly up in the air. Bricks n' Pieces also seemed to begin using names from LEGO MANIA Magazine at random times instead of their own in the later 1990s, so even if some of the characters are named in there, my theory that it uses the catalog names could be wrong and it could just be a reiteration of the Insectoids issue of MANIA.

They didn't specifically say "Life on Mars" but given the context and the identical characters I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that they're one and the same.

I have loads of Adventures magazines stashed away, if there's any missing from the ones you have I could see if I have them. I doodled a bit in a few of them when I was younger and some of them have fallen apart but most of them are ok.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.