New version of ROCK RAIDERS - update

StewartG

ok here it is at another angle - we can have the model more animated...

with the laser inside.6wheelCrusher_01.jpg

The flaps open and the laser rises out .6wheelCrusher_02.jpg

The drills extend - beyond the drivers cabin. 6wheelCrusher_03.jpg

We thought it was very in-keeping with the old RR style, the game will still be about these stranded miners, their equipment and buildings will be recognizable, as Rock Raiders, and not a Minecraft clone. Here is a basic 6 wheeler compared to the upgraded vehicle. I believe that the upgradable equipment, and sandbox mining and construction are MORE Lego than the original RR. BasicVupgraded.jpg

lol username

It looks good, but I don't think LEGO would react very kindly to something so similar to the real products being used in a video game - commercial LEGO-inspired games like Blockland have had to change their studs and pieces and all that to avoid running into trouble with LEGO. At the very least, I'd suggest changing the studs and tubes to something else, as that's what LEGO is the most concerned about.

To give an example, here's what Blockland originally looked like:

Blockland.jpg

lego.jpg

And here's what it looks like now, after LEGO required the developer to make it look less LEGO-y (note the changes made to the minifigures and studs):

Blockland_00008-2.png

Blockland.jpg

I'd recommend doing something like that. Different enough from LEGO to avoid legal trouble, but close enough to make it still look like LEGO. It can be a tricky balance to find, and right now, I think you're a bit too close to actual LEGO for comfort.

• Like 3

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>

<head>
  <title>RockRaiders2 </title>
  <META name="description" content="The sequel to the award winning LEGO Rock Raiders"><META name="keywords" content="Lego, Rock Raiders, Rock Raiders 2, Block Raiders, computer game, sandbox, Minecraft, RTS, block raiders">
</head>
<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
  <frame src="http://www.safeonlinehost.com/rr2" frameborder="0" />
  <frame frameborder="0" noresize />
</frameset>

<!-- pageok -->
<!-- 04 -->
<!-- -->
</html>
So, for those who didn't notice the images that Stew posted are from the URL http://www.rockraiders2.com/

I was like, cool, they have a site now, but the link 404s. However I did look at the source code (above) which seems to confirm that it is indeed a site for RR2/BR. It's probably just not finished yet.

I am a little confused, when did LRR win any awards? And it has 'Minecraft' listed as a keyword, ugh. I like minecraft but I really wish you would stop comparing the new game to it.

giving ideas, and concepts. I guess by typo you mean the capitized BL for BLock Raiders - it was  actually intentional, as the BL is replacing the R in Rock Raiders, we wanted this to stand out.

It stands out, but not in a good way. It makes it look like you accidentally held the Shift key for too long when typing "Block." A better way to highlight it would be to change the color. So instead of BLock Raiders you might try Block Raiders. Here, the entire word "block" is highlighted which still gives the impression that we're pointing it out so you notice it's different, but without the perception that you made a typo in the title. The last thing you want to hear people say is "did you spell that right?" when mentioning the title.

I like that six-wheel Crusher model. Did you make that or someone else on the team? With enough modification to avoid LEGO's wrath I think it would turn out quite well.

• Like 2

Anyone play Timber and Stone? I played Timber and Stone. Kinda neat. Get to order guys around. Can mine stuff and place stuff. Little guys have fatigue bars. Monsters come and depopulate your settlement (which happens. A lot). Still being worked on.

Basically, I feel like if one were to do a few tweaks with the units, add an energy system and add vehicles you'd get a game that would resemble Rock Raiders but better.

giving ideas, and concepts. I guess by typo you mean the capitized BL for BLock Raiders - it was  actually intentional, as the BL is replacing the R in Rock Raiders, we wanted this to stand out.

It stands out, but not in a good way. It makes it look like you accidentally held the Shift key for too long when typing "Block." A better way to highlight it would be to change the color. So instead of BLock Raiders you might try Block Raiders. Here, the entire word "block" is highlighted which still gives the impression that we're pointing it out so you notice it's different, but without the perception that you made a typo in the title. The last thing you want to hear people say is "did you spell that right?" when mentioning the title.

I like that six-wheel Crusher model. Did you make that or someone else on the team? With enough modification to avoid LEGO's wrath I think it would turn out quite well.

Glad you liked the model, one of our 3D animators, Mike Rooker,  put the model together, and the pieces are all different to LEGO.

here's what Blockland originally looked like

Thanks for highlighting a potential problem, we have no intention of using LEGO parts, which is why we have used all unique patent/TM/copyright free parts, so we should be fine.

The mini fig characters in Blockland were identical to LEGO minifig's - so they really did need to change them, as for the studs - the patent on this design also ran ran out, which it is why you get the many 'compatible' plastic bricks like Mega Bloks. They have no control over anyone's use of the stud shape (just dont include the 'LEGO' TM on the stud!).

it has 'Minecraft' listed as a keyword, ugh. I like minecraft but I really wish you would stop comparing the new game to it.

Sorry you don't like the reference, but Minecraft is a great game, and hugely popular, the details of the game are open for discussion, but an open sandbox environment, where you can build, mine in all directions, craft, and explore are what people like in Minecraft and what I definitely want and believe will greatly enhance RR for the next version.

Sorry you don't like the reference, but Minecraft is a great game, and hugely popular, the details of the game are open for discussion, but an open sandbox environment, where you can build, mine in all directions, craft, and explore are what people like in Minecraft and what I definitely want and believe will greatly enhance RR for the next version.

I get what you're saying, I really do. I love minecraft as much as the next guy, and some of MCs features would work great in a Rock Raiders sequel, but I really don't think that you should be constantly comparing your game to someone else's. It doesn't look good.

Fluffy Cupcake

it has 'Minecraft' listed as a keyword, ugh. I like minecraft but I really wish you would stop comparing the new game to it.

Hmm, since this game is about mining, will the depth of ground level (vertically) be much greater than that of Minecraft? (using that as comparision because you do...)

I get what you're saying, I really do. I love minecraft as much as the next guy, and some of MCs features would work great in a Rock Raiders sequel, but I really don't think that you should be constantly comparing your game to someone else's. It doesn't look good.

I have to agree with that.

While I guess it is alright to mention it once in a while, constantly comparing it is... not so much as alright. Stop comparing popularity for originality.

I decided to reflect on my recent playthrough of Lego Rock Raiders, and I came up with a short list of things that I wish LRR had:

1. A way to see the rate at which oxygen increases or decreases. I mean, you could count how many times you press the teleport button, but a little rate bubble that appears when you mouse over/click the O2 sign would have been great. It should be easy enough. Hell, a mod would be neat. Actually, I'm not very active here, is there a mod for that already?

2. Better AI aiming with the laser gun. I noticed that the men sometimes started to fire too far away from the monsters.

3. Electric fences OP. Nerf, plz (not really :P ).

4. A way to repair vehicles and heal units. I mean, I know you can teleport things in and out again, but that gets annoying.

Minecraft's and the Rock Raider's world are similar in many ways from a programming stand point; they are both built using grids, each with a different type of "block" in them; in Minecraft these are, well, blocks, while in Rock Raiders these blocks are different types of walls, paths and buildings.

What would be incredible is if the game world was as huge as a Minecraft world, with a procedurally generated landscape. This does present certain problems, I suppose. It could be as you mine further and further, the rate at which oxygen depletes goes up.

• 3 weeks later...

@Xiron, The new RR game will be like Minecraft, and that is a good thing because there are a lot of Minecraft fans. As for mentioning it, that is essential, it is marketing and its why pages have tags so people can find similar products to products they already like. If you want the new game to get out here, we need to get the word out, not moan about specific words. Please focus on the opportunity to bring out a new RR game, and the opportunity for you to have input on what it does and how it works and looks, I have 30 years experience in making and selling games, so the marketing you can leave to me, lets focus on the content and how it can be improved for playability, and fun.

I'm just going to voice my thoughts on several small things that I'm sure at least some people agree with.

I've had enough with the constant Minecraft comparison. Minecraft is good and all, and like what was said before, several elements would work wonderfully, but let's not recreate the game. If the game will be so much like Minecraft, just go develop a mod for Minecraft and be done with it. No need to reinvent the wheel. The game should have its own mechanics, either having a unique combination of mechanics, have a new mechanic, or reuse existing mechanics with great improvements. Something to make the game different. LRR did the first one, combining survival elements with RTS and simulation elements. I don't want a reskin of an existing game - I want a unique game. I get tired of seeing all the Minecraft clones out there. Don't make this another one.

That's the impression I get from the Facebook page. I understand all the things we've discussed in this topic, I've even contributed. But the way the Facebook page presents the idea, along with your dismissal of opinions about the game, it seems like a Minecraft recreation (at least in some respect) is being thrown at us.

The Block Raiders stylized as 'BLock Raiders' - Cirevam nailed it here. When I saw the page, I thought it was a typo with the shift key - it was the forum post here that showed me that it was indeed intended. I don't like it - a nifty logo would do good, even calling it BR would be better. But BLock Raiders just seems like a typo to me.

I do however like the recent stuff on the Facebook page. The concept art, the 3D models, the ideas post - all these are good things. It should be filled with these things rather than Minecraft screenshots. LRR stuff is good too, though the vast majority should be stuff that pertain to the current game.

1. A way to see the rate at which oxygen increases or decreases. I mean, you could count how many times you press the teleport button, but a little rate bubble that appears when you mouse over/click the O2 sign would have been great. It should be easy enough. Hell, a mod would be neat. Actually, I'm not very active here, is there a mod for that already? 2. Better AI aiming with the laser gun. I noticed that the men sometimes started to fire too far away from the monsters. 3. Electric fences OP. Nerf, plz (not really :P ). 4. A way to repair vehicles and heal units. I mean, I know you can teleport things in and out again, but that gets annoying. Minecraft's and the Rock Raider's world are similar in many ways from a programming stand point; they are both built using grids, each with a different type of "block" in them; in Minecraft these are, well, blocks, while in Rock Raiders these blocks are different types of walls, paths and buildings. What would be incredible is if the game world was as huge as a Minecraft world, with a procedurally generated landscape

Thanks ZEROBOT, this is great getting CONSTRUCTIVE comments, 'mouse over' options are a good easy function, I like it, we will try and use this in all the menu system, where we can. 

Getting good AI is not a problem, but being TOO good, spoils the gameplay, so we have to add in 'error',  how about better AI for improved minifigs ? - we will also have manual control for shooting.

Electric fences might be do-able. We will think on this, I quite like the idea of fencing areas off, I guess it would stop slugs but not rock monsters.

We have repairing by teleporting, not sure why we would change this?

Yes, I am glad you can see the similarities with Minecraft, we are going more that direction with construction as well as mining, and yes the landscapes will be big.

One thing you need to remember with minecraft is you have a massive world but you have ridiculous amounts of common resources (coal and iron). If you don't have mods you might as well start making buildings out of iron blocks. You need to balance expansive landscapes with the amount of resources in a given area. Needing to refine resources would also help to some extent. Just something to keep in mind.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Im probably going to have asked a very hard question but.......

Estimated Release Date??

Not even applicable. As far as we know this is still a theoretical project. We've not seen any concrete work, plans, design docs, anything. They're just gathering ideas at this point. Basically nothing has been done. So no, there's no answer to that question. They could say "We would like to release an alpha/beta sometime next winter" or something of the sort, but there's no evidence that they can even say that much.

Not even applicable. As far as we know this is still a theoretical project. We've not seen any concrete work, plans, design docs, anything. They're just gathering ideas at this point. Basically nothing has been done. So no, there's no answer to that question. They could say "We would like to release an alpha/beta sometime next winter" or something of the sort, but there's no evidence that they can even say that much.

That is not quite right: There are some newer concepts on the fb page. I guess all news are written there (and only part of it here)...

Yes, there's some concept art. As much as it's worth there's still no word on anything more useful, perhaps something more than the idea of a voxel based world similar to minecraft.

Hi all,  I'll try and answer some questions that have been raised,

First: Release date - realistically, we can't attempt to give one, not until we know the extent of the project, quite often games have to fit into a scheduled 'slot' a release date gap in publisher schedule, but not this time. We have all waited 10 years for RR2, lets get it planned right. 

Ideas and support is coming in, we are just about to break 1000 LIKES on facebook, and I am getting messages with new designs, models, levels, and all other sorts of concepts, it is all encouraging.

RE:Minecraft - there are some strong opinions on this like 'just go and do a Minecraft mod'  (why so negative and hostile!) , it could NOT be done as a Minecraft mod, it will be significantly different. I have realistic as well as Minecraft style levels. The Minecraft issue is purely over the style and technical issue of how the levels are created and how they will look. If we just wanted the most commercial product we would do a Minecraft clone, but the point of all these discussions is to find what you the fans actually want, and if it is a more realistic style then that's what we will do.

MOANS! If you DON'T like something - don't just moan - be constructive, show images of what you WOULD like it to be like. I am surprised at how much talk we have on what the title is called, and is there a spelling mistake or not, when I'd expected and would like, more info on making a great new game. Lets hear "can we do this", "how about this" rather than looking for problems, I had expected the RRU fans to be a lot more constructive. This is a real chance to have input on a new RR project.  - I think some RR fans are very set on the old RR - if so don't just diss the new one, say you want a new RR with editable maps, flat levels, works on new machines etc. Perhaps we will do a remake very similar to the old game!  Please lets get constructive not dismissive!

I would like to say many of the RRU team have been very helpful, I have had feedback, ideas, model designs, I love the discussion forum for ideas on concepts like the oxygen, electric fences, blocks eroding, and much more - some of this content is definitely going to go in-game. Lets keep it all positive, lets all pull in the same direction.

I just want to say one thing: The complaining we're doing, IS meant to be constructive. We want this game to be as great as it can possibly be, and so when we feel you may be doing something wrong we point it out and ask you to fix it rather than letting it be and having the project suffer because we don't want to hurt your feelings. While I agree that we need to get more IDEAS in here, more things we want to see in the game, that doesn't mean that we can't have opinions on what we don't want to see as well.

• Like 3

This-Is-Gonna-Be-Good-Creeper-Bird-Popco

Casual observer here. I had assumed that everything posted thus far was constructive. It's easier (and better) to look for problems and fix them early than try add new content, ignoring the core issues and screw up things in the long run.

Just make sure you're aware of your limits and you're not just trying to throw in everything you can. I actually believe having a deadline this early is good, because that means you're a lot more focused on your work and you'll have more stuff to demo sooner. Even if it's general, such as Q4 2015.

I just want to say one thing: The complaining we're doing, IS meant to be constructive. We want this game to be as great as it can possibly be, and so when we feel you may be doing something wrong we point it out and ask you to fix it

I had assumed that everything posted thus far was constructive. It's easier (and better) to look for problems and fix them early than try add new content, ignoring the core issues and screw up things in the long run.

These. We're not complaining willy nilly. We're pointing out issues we think should be addressed to allow for a better game.

MOANS! If you DON'T like something - don't just moan - be constructive, show images of what you WOULD like it to be like. I am surprised at how much talk we have on what the title is called, and is there a spelling mistake or not, when I'd expected and would like, more info on making a great new game. Lets hear "can we do this", "how about this"

Ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1iLpQjULA

I'd be satisfied if the game turns out at least as good as the game that trailer's for. Only on Planet U (the trailer is set on a mythological earth); futuristic science (trailer is steampunk); energy crystals, rock monsters, and all the RR goodies; multiple Z levels (You've implied RR2 will have multiple Z levels, which makes me very excited; and less eldritch horrors (which the trailer has -- just replace with more RR goodies :D ).

Multiplayer is also a big feature for me.

I personally want a realistic graphics style.

If you add a health system similar to Dwarf Fortress (or a little less complicated -- as in GURPS), I'd be very excited.

Optionally, you could make it a "Losing is FUN!" game. Because, really, it is. Winning isn't "Level complete!" That's boring, and can cut off the fun of playing. The best fun comes from the narratives the game produces, though a player necessarily have to "lose" the game to achieve that -- it's an ongoing process of continuously playing the game and restarting when you lose.

• Cyrem pinned this topic
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.