New version of ROCK RAIDERS - update

StewartG

I'm a little concerned that development on RR2 seems to be stagnating at this point.

As grand as the visions for the project are, we only really have ideas and some sketches. No proper proof of concept. The website hasn't been updated in pretty much a full year now.

This could be for two reasons:

1. The project has actually failed and will be nothing more than a pipe dream.

2. They're working like nobody's business and want to wait to update until they have something to show for it.

Option 2 is completely legit, but still...

Fluffy Cupcake

#1 is all anyone here can tell. DDI has gone silent and no one has heard from them.

Perhaps someone should get in contact with one of them?

• 4 weeks later...

We initially had quite a bit of back and forth with you all on the design, and this was narrowed down to looking like original RR but with additional layers of another single plane level. This I believe will add a lot more depth (no pun intended) to the level designs, and create some interesting vertical challenges. We now needed to get together artists, level designers, programmers, and get started on a demo. Unfortunately we have not had a lot of people able to commit to work, some wanted and started but have been unable to keep up due to other commitments, Karl one of our original programmers had to leave as he had an huge opportunity, and so we have been trying to work around building a team, I have managed to reconnect with another of the lead programmers, Tony Stoddart,and he is keen and able to come onboard. I would like to put out another request for anyone willing and able to get in touch, we can't make it without you, Think not what we can do for you, but what YOU can do for Rock Raiders2. All skills welcome.

Nice to see that you have had some success, Stewart. Most of the older members here though are still either very indifferent to Rock Raiders 2, or are most comfortable avoiding the project due to its history and their obligations. Best of luck to you, but I don't think you'll find much help here anymore.

Though I wouldn't go as far as Alcom1, I do think they're kind of on the right plane of thinking - most of the members here, including myself, lack the expertise to effectively contribute to this project, or else we would have by now. We are the fans but we are not the game makers. I can really only speak for myself though, and though I could possibly contribute to this project with my music composition or sound recording skills, I don't work for free and would expect financial compensation, which might not be the position you want to be in Stewart. Still, message me if you are interested - I'd love to do a soundtrack to this game and I want to be as helpful as I feesably can.

I still have faith in the project and I wish you luck Stewart.

- Polaris

• Like 3

Though I wouldn't go as far as Alcom1

I wouldn't normally go as far as me either, but the other active senior members weren't willing to touch this topic with a 10 foot pole, so checked with them and posted for them. Also, I like you. You only appear spontaneously to reply to StewartG and others in this topic, and it's pretty mysterious and funny.

• Like 2

Sadie Meowsalot

Echoing some of Polaris's sentiments, I think that whilst this project may have gotten off to a bit of a rocky start, it seems some progress has been gradually made and Stewart has been receptive to our ideas, at least in the vein of level design, and whilst I can't change anyone's mind but my own, I would really encourage everyone to focus not only on the negative aspects of this situation, but also acknowledge the positives such as that Stewart is now incorporating our ideas as far as level design and making an effort to bring it to fruition. Rather than seeing this project as a black/white issue, I'd encourage you to look at it in percentages. Moreover, whether it be individual people or projects, they warrant time to develop and ultimately take shape for the better, and mistakes will always be made along the way as we traverse any facet of life, but the possibility exists for us to recognize our mistakes and improve. And so long as we do improve, regardless of the rate at which we do so, is the important thing, and it seems Rock Raiders 2 has improved at least somewhat and is taking at least one step in the right direction that potentially could lead to further steps and improvements being made.

I don't think that I personally can contribute anything to this project's development, but I wish you all the best, Stewart, in continuing to improve and develop Rock Raiders 2 to completion, and I sincerely and deeply thank you for your continued interest in RRU's contribution to its development.

-Sadie

• Like 3

Why are you guys adding signatures to your posts?

We can read your usernames. We know who you are.

- McJobless

Edited by jamesster
:>

- McJobless

Who said that?  ;)

- Polaris

Though I wouldn't go as far as Alcom1

I wouldn't normally go as far as me either, but the other active senior members weren't willing to touch this topic with a 10 foot pole, so checked with them and posted for them. Also, I like you. You only appear spontaneously to reply to StewartG and others in this topic, and it's pretty mysterious and funny.

Haha, thanks Alcom1! I like you too  :)

Guess I'll have to keep a little mystery about me then  ;)  Though in truth, there really isn't much to know about me. Just that I like the idea of a Rock Raiders 2.

- Polaris

I do that all the time on my blog posts to the public.

But what if I can't read your username, like if it read "äębīcźłr8éfßg 20ÿ8khœ"?

--Ben24x7--

- "The Moronic Central Stabby stab stab" - Steam

Add me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Generic_Copper

Like and Subscribe to me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCANsVRyjdNwFmqf-uDpvM-Q

"Hej to you, good sir!" - Ben24x7 to Ayliffe, 2015

lol username

- McJobless

Who said that?  ;)

- Polaris

McJobless did. I added a signature to his post to make it a bit more obvious, but perhaps it wasn't obvious enough:

e7MKfX7.png

Perhaps we should experiment with more obvious signatures to avoid future confusion.

- jamesster

On the topic of this project, I'm just a hobbyist, as are most other members. While many here (including myself) are already working on their own hobby projects, some are even working on games professionally. But obviously, I can't speak for everyone.

• Like 4

Thanks for the responses, you have made me think, and evolving ideas I think is a good thing. I think that perhaps I have over been over stretching my expectations. Coming from a TECH background, I sort of expect everyone to have some gaming ability  - because just about everyone that I know does!

What I have had from you all is some good 'player experience / RR fan insight' and that has helped me change focus, so perhaps I should have considered this as an excellent opportunity for a Focus Group, and that is a great start.

I really liked the idea of a fan built/ team effort game. It is always good to work with people who are self motivated, and the idea of an existing fan base behind a remake seemed an excellent start to a great new game. Now I am considering that I might need to separate the new ideas from the actual production, and now take more of a lead on the production. I can build a team and get the work done.

I would really like to think that I have the support of RRU behind me doing this.

• Like 2

I've lost hope in this a long time ago. Sorry DDI but you lost my support. I just have that strange feeling that it will become shovelware.

Depending on what programming language you're using, I may be able to do a bit of coding for you. I have experience with C++ up to and including using both DirectX and OpenGL. However, my experience is with the C++ standard library, so if you're using Microsoft Visual C++, I can't really help you. Visual C++ is just too different of a language from the C++ Standard Library.

I'm a bit conflicted with this project. I have mad, absolute respect for anybody who has worked on LEGO games, especially given their strict standards (and the fact that even in the late 90s 3D-games were difficult). At the same time, I've seen some major issues crop up during the past two years of theory and ideas.

I think my biggest issue is the proposal itself. I'm a bit confused on how this is intended to work; are we just submitting content to go towards a full game? Are we applying for contracts? Is this a community design/develop thing that will be sold if it works out? I mean, upon reading your last post, I guess things have changed, but my point still stands; how is it that we can get involved if we did want to be involved?

Another thing that confuses me is this game's unique pitch; I'm not sure what Rock Raiders 2 has for it that would set it aside from games like Minecraft. Rock Raiders had a very unique atmosphere which I enjoyed (there was a certain quiet, creepy desolation that made the tense lava chases more tense, the boat rides more calm and relaxing, and the exploring really fun). I also really liked the grid-based design, seeing as it makes certain gameplay elements slightly more predictable, while also adding challenge towards construction and approaching hazards. I feel a voxel game with over-bright colours would lose the things that made Rock Raiders stand out (especially given that LegoRR didn't really rely on its LEGO assets).

To be blunt, if I were to join in on this, it'd be for the thrill of working in a larger-scale development that what I'm currently doing, and because I would like to see some of the experiences I had as a kid returned in a modern form. I'm just not completely sold that the direction has been set. I also have high doubts that this will appeal on the same scale as games like Minecraft; I'm sure a large audience exists, but I don't think this game should be made for popularity.

It's a bit tough to be making a sequel to a very niche game, particularly when you have to strip away that big "LEGO" title that guarantees the sales. The key, at this point, would be to focus on why people would want to return to Planet U, and what a new sequel is capable of offering a modern audience. It's not my place to force my ideas onto projects like these, so I leave those questions for you to consider.

I'm going to continue to reserve full judgement until more comes out about this. I'm sure others here have their own thoughts that will probably conflict with mine. I'd like to stay positive for once, since at least you've shown that you can release games (and decent ones at that, particularly since we're all gathered here because of one of your games).

I think my biggest issue is the proposal itself. I'm a bit confused on how this is intended to work; are we just submitting content to go towards a full game? Are we applying for contracts? Is this a community design/develop thing that will be sold if it works out? I mean, upon reading your last post, I guess things have changed, but my point still stands; how is it that we can get involved if we did want to be involved?

Another thing that confuses me is this game's unique pitch; I'm not sure what Rock Raiders 2 has for it that would set it aside from games like Minecraft. Rock Raiders had a very unique atmosphere which I enjoyed (there was a certain quiet, creepy desolation that made the tense lava chases more tense, the boat rides more calm and relaxing, and the exploring really fun). I also really liked the grid-based design, seeing as it makes certain gameplay elements slightly more predictable, while also adding challenge towards construction and approaching hazards. I feel a voxel game with over-bright colours would lose the things that made Rock Raiders stand out (especially given that LegoRR didn't really rely on its LEGO assets).

This. You summed it up very well here - that unique atmosphere is crucial to this game. The soundtrack, (or almost the lack-thereof) is a vital part to this game that I think often gets overlooked.

Shameless self promotion here again, but it will be the last time I'll mention it: I could do the soundtrack for Rock Raiders 2 and I could do it very well. However, I can't do it for free. This wouldn't be the first soundtrack I've created either. So Stewart, if you're reading this and it intrigues you, just let me know and we can talk.

There we go - just wanted to make that absolutely clear  :)

Thanks for reading,

- Polaris

And of course in my post I forgot to mention that you have my full support Stewart! I for one think this is a valid project and one with a lot of potential, especially if you just narrow the focus a wee bit and take McJobless' suggestion of not making this game for popularity. One thing that I have learned through being a composer is that quality always rises to the surface. Anyone can churn out a product aimed at the masses, but it's true art that really connects with people.

• Like 2

Drill Master

I could do the soundtrack for Rock Raiders 2 and I could do it very well.

Cough cough.

No need to be all imprudent about it. You aren't the only composer on RRU, you know. Others may want a chance to compose for this too.

• Like 6

Fluffy Cupcake

It's a bit tough to be making a sequel to a very niche game, particularly when you have to strip away that big "LEGO" title that guarantees the sales. The key, at this point, would be to focus on why people would want to return to Planet U, and what a new sequel is capable of offering a modern audience.

This here reminds me of Freedom Planet. It initially started off as a type of Sonic fangame, as Rock Raiders 2 is to Rock Raiders in a way, but in order for Freedom Planet to become what it has it had to strip the big "Sonic" title away, while at the same time still keeping some of the same style everyone knows while also adding completely new and interesting things. What things could they keep and toss? And what new things could be done do to attract new audiences? However planning went out with the game (I completely missed development stage unfortunately), it likely wasn't easy, but with careful planning it worked out well and attracted new and old audiences. You can probably find out more on the development on the game on interviews with Strife (lead developer) if you're interested in knowing more.

On the topic of this project, I'm just a hobbyist, as are most other members. While many here (including myself) are already working on their own hobby projects, some are even working on games professionally.

This project seems to be just as much as a side project as hobbies are to us.

I've lost hope in this a long time ago. Sorry DDI but you lost my support. I just have that strange feeling that it will become shovelware.

Well there isn't too much rush with the project unlike the other ones they do, is there? This game isn't Stewart and whoever else is on board's primary job, this is a side project. There is no reason for it to be rushed out unlike everything else. On the topic of that, have we already discussed if the game will be free or not?

I could do the soundtrack for Rock Raiders 2 and I could do it very well.

Cough cough.

No need to be all imprudent about it. You aren't the only composer on RRU, you know. Others may want a chance to compose for this too.

You're right, everyone deserves a chance. Sorry.

Since all of the local composers came out of the brickwork, maybe each of you should make a sample track of what you think would fit the mood of this game. It doesn't have to be a full track, just enough to get an idea.

Since all of the local composers came out of the brickwork, maybe each of you should make a sample track of what you think would fit the mood of this game. It doesn't have to be a full track, just enough to get an idea.

As I already said, cough cough. I've done a lot of tracks already. Though I will do some improvements and/or make completely new ones, with a slightly different atmosphere.

Fluffy Cupcake

From previous works, this is where I see you guys shining best:

Shadowblaze: More for the upbeat music, maybe action moments or something like monsters invading your base, or panic because quick erosion, or other missions that are more on the on-the-go side. Perhaps the pre-tension music too like danger present but not threatening.

Drill Master: More for the relaxing ambient music when nothing is going on but just mining, exploring, whatever.

Polaris: You haven't given us a link to hear a few music samples of any of your work, nothing can be told of you.

• Like 1

• Cyrem pinned this topic
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.