New version of ROCK RAIDERS - update

StewartG

Aren't we forgetting another composer here?

Here's a couple examples of my work. They're not really submissions so much as a mini-portfolio.

Sirius - Sirius Wars (a game I was working on in my spare time)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Je_ziVneIOZzI3Zkxza1Myc0k/view?usp=sharing

Light of Darkness - Skyblade (another game I sometimes work on in my spare time)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Je_ziVneIOaFNqVFZBRVU1ZVk/view?usp=sharing

F-Zero Medley - F-Zero (this is just something I made for fun - and because the band "Entertainment System" only had three track themes in theirs). May be slightly distorted due not having been mastered.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Je_ziVneIOVXV2MTRCNncyN28/view?usp=sharing

Fluffy Cupcake

Yes, I am totally forgetting you, unintentionally. I don't know where you'd fit. Cutscenes maybe? I dunno. =P

Anyway, having a couple composers may be alright, but having a lot might become a bit messy.

I could do the soundtrack for Rock Raiders 2 and I could do it very well.

Cough cough.

Ah! Forgive my ignorance - I didn't mean to step on toes, I just didn't know that anyone else had submitted music to this project yet!

The work you've done for it sounds awesome Shadowblaze - I think it's a perfect fit for the atmosphere of this game. I can see that RR2 is in good hands  :)

- Polaris

Wow! So much great music within this online community - and I was woefully unaware!

However, in terms of contributing, I would be just another cook in the kitchen so I will bow out  :)   As I said earlier, RR2 is in good hands I see!

- Polaris

I dunno if the project is far enough to need a 3D modeller, but I could take a job in that field. I can't do it for free, but I can go pretty cheap compared to most other people. Send me a PM if you think that I can help. :)

Fluffy Cupcake

Hey if voices are ever needed (even if not lines and is something as simple as tripping over a spider =P) I (or Oboe Shoes?) can do that, I love voicing things. Although I ain't no professional yet. :P

Yes, provided this actually does pan out into anything, I'd be very willing to help in that respect.

(I think Chief's gruff voice was one of the first things I ever tried to imitate all those years back. Of course, I was about 7, so it was as accurate as you'd suspect. :P)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses, you have made me think, and evolving ideas I think is a good thing. I think that perhaps I have over been over stretching my expectations. Coming from a TECH background, I sort of expect everyone to have some gaming ability  - because just about everyone that I know does!

What I have had from you all is some good 'player experience / RR fan insight' and that has helped me change focus, so perhaps I should have considered this as an excellent opportunity for a Focus Group, and that is a great start.

I really liked the idea of a fan built/ team effort game. It is always good to work with people who are self motivated, and the idea of an existing fan base behind a remake seemed an excellent start to a great new game. Now I am considering that I might need to separate the new ideas from the actual production, and now take more of a lead on the production. I can build a team and get the work done.

I would really like to think that I have the support of RRU behind me doing this.

I think that the Rock Raiders community as a whole is definitely behind the idea, Mr. Stewart. It's just that there are quite a few conflicting ideas about how the game should be. There are a lot of subjective attributes, but also a lot of objective ones.

It does seem that the fan base is not able to "make the game themselves". As a general rule, the members who have time don't have the talent, and the members who have talent don't have the time. You could count the number of people who have both talent and time on one hand, I'd say.

Because of this, it would seem to me that the only way to get this project off the ground is to have a dedicated studio/game developer (someone like you, Mr. Stewart) with drive, dedication, and talent, do it themselves. Frequent progress updates would galvanize the community to give ideas and concepts of their own accord - but only if they can count on the game getting done.

I totally agree with Polaris' point: "...just narrow the focus a wee bit and take McJobless' suggestion of not making this game for popularity." Oh. I guess it's McJobless' point too. :P

The game appeals to a very, very niche group who, if the game lives up to the original, will love it to death. It just may not make a lot of money.

Which again brings it back to you, Mr. Stewart. We can't, in all fairness, ask you (for our own sakes) to take on a project that will:

1. Take a good deal of time and serious commitment.

2. In all likelihood have a small financial return.

Game making is your job. Everyone has the right to take on jobs that provide them with financial security and reasonable chances of popular success. You can't exactly say that about a Rock Raiders 2. Nobody wants to see you ruin your job just to try and make us a game. It's all, totally and absolutely, up to you. Thanks for all you've done. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • Cyrem pinned this topic
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.