My take on the Racetrack Music

Biorune

The Lego Island Racetrack music is one of my favorite tracks in the game, and I thought I'd record my (short) interpretation on the piece, so here it is. 

Music was composed by Peter Dunne. I played and recorded the backing (Rhythm Guitar, Bass and Drums) off camera.

Sorry for the sloppy playing at times, it was slightly rushed, but hey, I think this must be the first time someone's done this for Lego game music?

If anyone wants the chord progression;

Am7  D9                      Am7 D9
| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /|

Am7  D9                      D9             Ddim7
| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /|

For lead, the whole thing's in A Dorian (because of the Major 3rd in the sub-dominant (D9), that being a Major 6th in the overall key), so that scale would work and modes off that, like G major or E Aeolian, as well as A pentatonic minor (what the original mostly used).

I don't think this is the first time someone done stuff like this, but it maybe the first time a song from Island was done.

I am now on fourth fifth replay of your video. I think that says how much I like it.  ;P

You should do another Island song. :)

Oh, and the game files refer to this track as Central Roads North. ;)

EDIT:

You deserve a box of cookies.

:addictcookie:

Those kind of cookies? ;P

Where do you even find the music in the files? I've looked everywhere, do I need to extract something? :P

And thanks guys. :D

Where do you even find the music in the files? I've looked everywhere, do I need to extract something? :P

You're looking for LIME, the only tool ever that lets us extract anything from the Island SI archives. The creator just added my update that should pull all audio from the SIs. The music is in JUKEBOX.SI. ;)

You're looking for LIME, the only tool ever that lets us extract anything from the Island SI archives. The creator just added my update that should pull all audio from the SIs. The music is in JUKEBOX.SI. ;)

Sweet, thanks. And thanks again for your feedback :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of perhaps expanding this into a bigger project where I re-record some more music from the LEGO games in my own versions. I'm currently working ideas around the Pizza delivery/Main theme music from LI and the bonus game music from LR2 (that'll be hard to play...). Any more suggestions from anyone?

RobExplorien

That sounds good. If you could play the race music (the other race music) too it would be darn awesome (but significantly harder isn't it)!

Are you a bass player as well?

That sounds good. If you could play the race music (the other race music) too it would be darn awesome (but significantly harder isn't it)!

Which race music are you talking about?

And haha, the answer to that would be sort of. I am not a bass player strictly speaking, but I can play bass to a decent standard, my main instruments being Guitar and Flute, with Piano and other stuff (like Drums and Bass) alongside.

RobExplorien

Which race music are you talking about?

And haha, the answer to that would be sort of. I am not a bass player strictly speaking, but I can play bass to a decent standard, my main instruments being Guitar and Flute, with Piano and other stuff (like Drums and Bass) alongside.

This track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwuxuZAHH6U

And I've played the piano and drums too, but abandoned it long ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Good job on that! You are a good guitar player! It sounds like the original, just a better quality. (btw, I also got an Ibanez, a 350 dx black knight)

Did you find out these tabs yourself or did you find them on the internet? 

If you could play the race music (the other race music) too it would be darn awesome (but significantly harder isn't it)! Are you a bass player as well?

It is extremely hard to find out all the guitar tabs in that song. I managed to find out the bass tabs (yes, I also got a bass, a Fender Squier J-Bass. but unfotunately I'm not thaat good at playing guitar and bass :( ).

Link to it here:

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/topic/5133-lego-island-ost-race-bass-tabs/#entry94407

Maybe someday I'll upload a video on youtube, when I get myself to (be able to) play that

Good job on that! You are a good guitar player! It sounds like the original, just a better quality. (btw, I also got an Ibanez, a 350 dx black knight)

Did you find out these tabs yourself or did you find them on the internet? 

If you could play the race music (the other race music) too it would be darn awesome (but significantly harder isn't it)! Are you a bass player as well?

It is extremely hard to find out all the guitar tabs in that song. I managed to find out the bass tabs (yes, I also got a bass, a Fender Squier J-Bass. but unfotunately I'm not thaat good at playing guitar and bass :( ).

Link to it here:

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/topic/5133-lego-island-ost-race-bass-tabs/#entry94407

Maybe someday I'll upload a video on youtube, when I get myself to (be able to) play that

I worked the chord progression out by ear, no tabs involved, then improvised over it using the scales I specified in the original post (in the spoiler). If you wanna improvise your own solo over it, the chords are in the original post too. :)

And yeah, Ibanez are the best. This is an RG3120 with Bare Knuckle Crawler pickups fitted. Bare Knuckles are brilliant. The amp's an Orange TH30.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.