Beta HUD remaking

Jack Bluebeard

Jack Bluebeard

I saw the topic started by RobExplorien and with it some of its comments. So, someone said that the image of the speedometer was too small compared to the original and that it was necessary to enlarge it. Guys, this is what I made.

Edit: To note the flag of Captain Redbeard that I took from his NPC model.

jb27sUFMuCzYri.png

Jack Bluebeard

I made the Holder in beta style too:

j0XgHc4Lf0iCR.png

I'm working about the "adding white bricks" texture. I want to do something similar to the beta: a white brick and, near, the number of the bricks you collected.

• 2 weeks later...
Jack Bluebeard

I saw that the speedometer was imperfect with his texture, so I got the one from this screenshot:

screenshot_23009.jpg

And, traslating it to a bmp I got this:

jEOVeYPx5WPEs.png

The problem is still the indicator, I don't know what is his bmp. I will search for it.

Jack Bluebeard

I just finished the mini-speedometer and the new holder, this time with a reference to the beta (in beta version the white bricks were indicated with a diamond and, next to it, a number. So I did a white brick and near it a number from 1 to 3).

Edit: the speedometer is smaller because there were some imperfections and I have to do it again (I get it from the smaller version).

Screenshot:

jAee25po82xta.png

I've enlarged the icon of the power up too, like the beta.

Are good textures or not? I didn't see any comment :/ Is it not interesting? If you don't like or if there is something wrong with this topic please tell me about.

RobExplorien

I only now just realised this topic being here, so...

The enlarged speedometer in the third post looks much better than the one in your first post. The bricks look, well, smoothler textured.

As for the indicator, the red dot is located in DOT.BMP. The pointer is still a search for me.

The beta holder for the power-ups look fine I guess, but isn't the green colour a little too bright here in the last image? It does not seem to match with the green power-up bricks colour on the tracks.

As for the lack of comments, I think it's because we've seen this speedometer before (as in, recreated and posted in another topic), and it's not new to us anymore. But now I see that you're trying to make the HUD completely beta-style, and that's interesting.

Jack Bluebeard

I initially got the idea of the speedometer from your topic. And for a while I liked the way it was, then I realized looking at various screenshots that the quality of the textures of your kilobricks was very low. So I got the one from the shot you said and I implemented instead of the first. I also noticed that you did not know how to enlarge it, well, I did it with Paint. All the rest of the HUD I did it with the same way screenshots-game. ;)

Edit: Enlarged speedometer is finished!

From                                   To

jbxv8SVo3slIxJ.png   ---   jbcHHZz5SAHiJE.png

Now I only have to test it  ;P  :D

RobExplorien

I also noticed that you did not know how to enlarge it, well, I did it with Paint.

Never cared to try it either, but it's nice to see you continue working on it.

BTW, the right speedometer in your last post here does have some white borders around the bricks, which really annoys me in textures, but I don't know how it'll look in-game. Looks awesome now.

Jack Bluebeard

Oh, if you look at it in the gameplay you can't see them (the white borders).

But believe me, the complessive result is of the best.

• 4 weeks later...
Jack Bluebeard
I just have to finish the turbo level 2 and it is ready. :D
Just one question: how can I release a mod in a legal way? I've never done...

EDIT: I've done the diamond icon too :)
gallery_7207_355_1180.png

I just have to finish the turbo level 2 and it is ready. :D
Just one question: how can I release a mod in a legal way? I've never done...

With PatchIt! ofcourse, I see le717 mentioned it already. Use an 'empty' LEGO.JAM archive and just include all the modded files (and only those) in their corresponding folders, then (optionally) proceed to use PatchIt! to do the rest. This will be helpful on your way.

• Like 1

Hey Rob, in the project there are the maps of the circuits of your "Map revamp project" too. Can I add them to the mod?

You may, but is it a good idea? Maybe the potential users of this bèta HUD would only like to instal the bèta HUD and not the revamped maps also. So you could make two PatchIt! patches (one for bèta HUD only, and the other for both) and add them to the .zip/.rar. That way users have the choice.

Hey Rob, in the project there are the maps of the circuits of your "Map revamp project" too. Can I add them to the mod?

You may, but is it a good idea? Maybe the potential users of this bèta HUD would only like to instal the bèta HUD and not the revamped maps also. So you could make two PatchIt! patches (one for bèta HUD only, and the other for both) and add them to the .zip/.rar. That way users have the choice.

Actually, why do that at all? I wouldn't think your HUD images would conflict with the map images. So instead of making two mods, make a mod containing only your files, and if someone wants both, they can install his first (for the map and small speedometer) then install you'd with the enlarged version and beta HUD.

Jack Bluebeard

But in the mod there are not only the maps and the beta HUD, but other things such as other bricks of different colors on the menu, I changed the sound (sfx) of each circuit, making it same as what you feel when the demo plays (King Kahuka). Aside from that I also modified the file PELVIS.ADB, causing the player when turning with the car does not bend to the right or to the left, like the NPC. I also modified the level order, making it as the one of the beta version. So in conclusion I would put the material belonging to the beta (HUD, level order) in a folder, all the additional material (bricks, the PELVIS.ADB, maps and audio) to another folder.

But in the mod there are not only the maps and the beta HUD, but other things such as other bricks of different colors on the menu, I changed the sound (sfx) of each circuit, making it same as what you feel when the demo plays (King Kahuka). Aside from that I also modified the file PELVIS.ADB, causing the player when turning with the car does not bend to the right or to the left, like the NPC. I also modified the level order, making it as the one of the beta version. So in conclusion I would put the material belonging to the beta (HUD, level order) in a folder, all the additional material (bricks, the PELVIS.ADB, maps and audio) to another folder.

The topic title is a little deceiving then, if you're planning to add all this. So you mix bèta and NPC characteristiscs in this mod? Is that a good idea you think, just asking your opinion. Oh I see.

Jack Bluebeard
We have said that in an X version of Lego Racers all the parts that should be transparent in texture are visible, as you can see. But there is a detail: in the yellow circle there is the position indicator of the car of the player, in the green circle there are the indicators of the position of the AI. Don't notice a difference?
The moving indicators (yellow circle, speedometer) are not written as common textures, instaed stationary textures (green circle) are normal texture and can be easily modified. After this discovery we just have to find where they are written.

gallery_7207_355_44109.jpg

Thanks to Jamesster for the beta screenshot  ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.