Ideal Profile Header Image Size and Avatar

le717

What is the ideal size for the header image on my profile? I can't get mine to work ever, yet many other member's work perfectly. All that the description says is "Max file size: 500KB". Same with avatar. It says "Recommend an image 200px or larger" but I've had it cap my avatar size before, with no mention on max px, or file size (until you try to upload an image that is larger than 75KB. My current one, before taking out some pixels, was .8KB over the limit). I've always wondered about these things, but I've never asked until now.

Both are capped by filesize, not width/height. Make your profile image a minimum of 980px wide and 600px high.

I had to compress my avatar like crazy to bring it down to the filesize limit...but I think it actually looks good in black and white :P (original GIF)

I did increase the limit from 50 > 75 over the past few days. Have to say though, I prefer the B/W one, makes it look old and ... more pirate-y.

Just needs some film grain :P

Brickulator

I did increase the limit from 50 > 75 over the past few days. Have to say though, I prefer the B/W one, makes it look old and ... more pirate-y.

Just needs some film grain :P

Must have been just after I changed my avatar because the limit was definitely 50 for me :P Maybe I'll try improving the quality a little, or at least making it a bit bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Both are capped by filesize, not width/height. Make your profile image a minimum of 980px wide and 600px high.

Thanks Cyrem. That helps a ton. :)

Is there a specific calculation to know how much the site will crop off of your image? I can never get my header image to display everything that I try to get it to, no matter how I size it.

A question: Would it be possible to use off-site images for your profile image? The one I wanted to set is 810KB, and I'm unsure how I can shrink it to be under 500KB.

EDIT: I ran my image through PNG Monster (as Xiron once suggested), and it is still ~650KB. I'm really hoping off-site is possible now.

A question: Would it be possible to use off-site images for your profile image? The one I wanted to set is 810KB, and I'm unsure how I can shrink it to be under 500KB.

EDIT: I ran my image through PNG Monster (as Xiron once suggested), and it is still ~650KB. I'm really hoping off-site is possible now.

Save it as a JPG, with quality of 80/90%. It won't be that noticable... unless it's full of red.

Offsite hosting is not possible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.