Tutorial: Scene Modding and Object Moving

Brickulator

RobExplorien

A very comprehensive tutorial, but you're right, I already see that there are much more possibilities.

I can only gape in awe at how much work you put into this tutorial, how much work it takes to do this, and the enormous amount of possibilities this opens up for LR.

Thank you so much.

tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Really awesome!! Thanks, Brickulator! I hope to test it soon! :D

I have a question:

The 3 numbers under the “GDB/ADB/SDB reference†heading determine which files the model uses. These will probably be wrong, so you’ll need to change them. They refer to the GDB, ADB and SDB lists at the start of the file. Each number is that file’s position in the list. But it is very important to note that in these lists (and other lists like these in these binary files), the first item in the list is number 0, the second is 1, the third is 2, etc. So if you wanted to use the 10th file in the list, that would be number 11.

Shouldn't it be number 9 if you seek for the 10th entry in the list?

Brickulator

I have a question:

The 3 numbers under the “GDB/ADB/SDB reference†heading determine which files the model uses. These will probably be wrong, so you’ll need to change them. They refer to the GDB, ADB and SDB lists at the start of the file. Each number is that file’s position in the list. But it is very important to note that in these lists (and other lists like these in these binary files), the first item in the list is number 0, the second is 1, the third is 2, etc. So if you wanted to use the 10th file in the list, that would be number 11.

Shouldn't it be number 9 if you seek for the 10th entry in the list?

You're right, thanks for pointing that out. I'll change it now.

Okay.

@Cyrem: Can you please pin that topic? It is extremely important for modding LR!

Edit:

I now managed to import the dancing KK to Tribal Island Trail (but I didn't place him right, just let him hover somewhere around the finish line in the air... maybe he's a guru). But there's one important thing about the Coordinate Viewer when decimal numbers are separated with commas instead of dots in your country:

The Coordinate Viewer gives the coordinates with commas, but the .WDB file for the coordinates (and also other binary files) only accept coordinates separated with dots! You have to change the commas to dots or there will be a syntax error!

Edit 2: This bug is fixed when you use the newest version of the Coordinate Viewer (thanks to grappigegovert for updating his tool)!

Brickulator

I now managed to import the dancing KK to Tribal Island Trail (but I didn't place him right, just let him hover somewhere around the finish line in the air... maybe he's a guru). But there's one important thing about the Coordinate Viewer when decimal numbers are separated with commas instead of dots in your country:

The Coordinate Viewer gives the coordinates with commas, but the .WDB file for the coordinates (and also other binary files) only accept coordinates separated with dots! You have to change the commas to dots or there will be a syntax error!

That's great that you got it to work, and thanks for that information. We use dots for decimal points here so I didn't think about that, I'll add that in to the tutorial.

Yes I know but in many european countries you use commas. I already had that issue with the binary editor that saved stuff with comma values but this problem has been fixed by origamiguy after I told him about this problem:

(31/01/2013) v1.3.4779.34743 > Reworked localization to use US-style decimal separators even on non-US machines.

RobExplorien

Can you please pin that topic? It is extremely important for modding LR!

The other tutorials aren't of such importance?

Holy cow, this is one mega tutorial. It's glorious!

May I suggest the topic title be called "Tutorial: Scene Modding & Object Moving" ?

Of course this thing is getting pinned.

Thank you!

Brickulator

May I suggest the topic title be called "Tutorial: Scene Modding & Object Moving" ?

I wasn't sure about the name because you can do so much with these files, but I guess adding "Object Moving" makes sense because that's a big part of it - I'll change the title.

Can you please pin that topic? It is extremely important for modding LR!

The other tutorials aren't of such importance?

Some of them are not that important (such as N64 JAM extracting because there aren't many people who own the N64 version). But you are right, there should be more than this one be pinned (Transparency Tutorial, also your Start/Power Up Positions because this is still one of the most undiscovered places of LR, the beginner tutorial by JimbobJeffers and his Skin Texturing tutorial).

grappigegovert

But there's one important thing about the Coordinate Viewer when decimal numbers are separated with commas instead of dots in your country:

Just updated the coordinate viewer,

it should now force the use of dots instead of commas (not country-specific anymore).

Also,

Very nice tutorial, I am sure there are lots of possibilities with this.

But there's one important thing about the Coordinate Viewer when decimal numbers are separated with commas instead of dots in your country:

it should now force the use of dots instead of commas (not country-specific anymore).

Also,

Very nice tutorial, I am sure there are lots of possibilities with this.

Thank you!

I'll try the update tomorrow. If it works (what I think) I'll post it here so that the note could be deleted.

Edit:

Okay, it works! Now you can write in your tutorial that the newest version of the Coordinate Viewer is necessary!

Brickulator

I'll try the update tomorrow. If it works (what I think) I'll post it here so that the note could be deleted.

I'll change it to say that it was updated, and that people should make sure they have the latest version. Thanks for updating it, grappigegovert, and thanks again to alan for pointing it out.

Is there any way yet to edit the collision maps as well? I haven't heard anything about those, and that could be a very interesting thing to mod.

Is there any way yet to edit the collision maps as well? I haven't heard anything about those, and that could be a very interesting thing to mod.

Not yet, at least I haven't figured out yet. I don't know whether the others know more about it...

Brickulator

Not yet, at least I haven't figured out yet. I don't know whether the others know more about it...

I haven't looked much into it, but swapping collision maps between tracks seems to crash the game. I did manage to create a kind of collision wall by increasing the friction of a material, but instead of just bouncing off I got stuck in that material -.-

>Not yet, at least I haven't figured out yet. I don't know whether the others know more about it...

I haven't looked much into it, but swapping collision maps between tracks seems to crash the game. I did manage to create a kind of collision wall by increasing the friction of a material, but instead of just bouncing off I got stuck in that material -.-

Yeah, that wouldn't be ideal. It's cool that we CAN change the friction, at least. It's too bad that the collision map is one object instead of made up of separate boxes or whatever. Object moving would be much more useful if the collision map automatically changed with it.

Brickulator

Yeah, that wouldn't be ideal. It's cool that we CAN change the friction, at least. It's too bad that the collision map is one object instead of made up of separate boxes or whatever. Object moving would be much more useful if the collision map automatically changed with it.

I'm sure it's possible to change it, it's just a load of numbers isn't it? But it would be very tedious and probably very complicated to work out exactly what to do.

You can have some fun by messing with the material physics. I got some entertaining results when I changed the values for ice on Ice Planet Pathway :P You can also remove (or modify) friction from materials like sand and snow, like using NSLWJ for specific materials. And you can change the particle effects produced when you drive over them.

I'm sure it's possible to change it, it's just a load of numbers isn't it? But it would be very tedious and probably very complicated to work out exactly what to do.

You can have some fun by messing with the material physics. I got some entertaining results when I changed the values for ice on Ice Planet Pathway :P You can also remove (or modify) friction from materials like sand and snow, like using NSLWJ for specific materials. And you can change the particle effects produced when you drive over them.

All of those things will certainly be helpful just for fooling around (or, dare I say it? making custom tracks) but until the data for the models are completely understood, and probably until a practical tool is made to perform the task, such modifications as custom collision maps will be quite difficult, or at least rare. Friction is good, but making our own tracks/collision maps would be even cooler, obviously. Anyway, this tutorial is another good step in that direction.

• 11 months later...
Rocket Racer

I'm encountering this almost a year after it was posted, and I must say that I really love this comprehensive tutorial!

Thank you!

• Like 1

Brickulator

I'm encountering this almost a year after it was posted, and I must say that I really love this comprehensive tutorial!

Thank you!

Oh man it was a year ago today I posted this and I have done absolutely nothing of any note with this stuff, oops :|

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.